AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered Monday (4/28/03) from TV Authority. Got the TV today! All new, drop-shipped from somewhere near LAX. Interesting. Didn't TV Authority has a warehouse in California. Soon when I told Neil at TVA that I am a forum member he took care of me - no tax (TVA is in Florida) and no shipping charges on both the 507 and the stand. Outstanding service and turn around. TV+Stand=$3,990 shipped to my living room!

Like what we have been discussing: 507 has charcol (matt) bezel, silver speaker, Faroudjha logo at the lower left corner. Not planning on opening it up to compare with the 5065 internal. ;)

Stand is beautifully crafted, no assembly needed. Out of box setup was ok watching DirecTV and DVD over s-video. Noticed the transition on the skin ton a bit "artificial". Tried DNI on and off - on is sharper/brighter, off is blurrer/darker. Going to get component cables tomorrow. As for DirTV I am planning on getting the HDTV reciever/dish. Well, maybe wait until next year's tax refund. ;)

On to tweaking soon....Gotta search for suggestions and such on this forum.

Good TV. Not sure if it's worth the money (double the price of non-DLP, non-LCOS projection sets) yet since I dont have HDTV hooked up. But from what I have read and seen, this baby is gonna be good for years.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good luck James! :)

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Congrats, man. I'm afraid your search for tweaks on the HLN series of sets will come up pretty darn empty. None of us have diddly squat. Let us know if you have the bigtime geometry problems that we are starting to find as well as the horrible color banding, screen texture probs and lots of other "fun stuff".

Uh oh... damn bubble burster. Shut up, Jeff. :D

Seriously... hope everything is awesome on your new set. Let us know whatcha think once you've tinkered around a little.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
I picked up my HLN507W this evening. Have only spent a few minutes watching it so far. It's hooked up via DVI to my HTPC (with ATI AIW 7500) running Windows XP. Glanced at a couple of DVDs and a bit of over the air NTSC TV. Looks real good, so far. It's an excellent computer monitor too.

More later . . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine also has arrived. Well, it made it to town after the freight company had left on its deliveries for the day, so I borrowed a truck and went and got it...

DVD (via component 1) looks just okay. HD programming from Time Warner isn't yet working (they're sending someone out on Monday). SD TV is also just okay. I haven't dragged the PC over to hook that up, but that's okay - I don't have a DVI cable, and the local places want $70 for one. Time to look online.

Time to sit down with the Avia DVD and tweak. Too bad it's narrated like a 1950s public health film and concentrates on CRTs.

But I'm psyched. It certainly is a lot bigger than the 1989 26" JVC it replaced :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.