AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having difficulty outputing from a HM-DH40000U component outputs to the component inputs of a 24" Vizio HDTV LCD. The picture is dark, unstable, almost as if Macrovision was involved. Am I missing something?

I have a Samsung SIR t165 that I want to take off-air or QAM digital from (is that possible?), send to the HM-DH40000U via I-link, and then output component to watch tapes at a later date.

As it stands now, the two units talk over firewire (somewhat hesitantly), but I can't see the off-air HD channels that the tuner is decoding.

I know the tuner is working because I am feeding its output to an old analog screen.

It looked great on my old XBR CRT with DVI in - so what could be the problem feeding the new HDTV LCD?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since your CRT worked fine using DVI have you tried using DVI to your new TV? You may need an inexpeniswve DVI-HDMI adapter if your new TV does not have a DVI input connector.

The component interface does not support HDCP.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The SIR-T165 is over the air only not QAM. Are there settings for the component in like RGB or Y Pr Pb that need to be set correctly to match the D-VHS?

Mike T

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16974224

Since your CRT worked fine using DVI have you tried using DVI to your new TV? You may need an inexpeniswve DVI-HDMI adapter if your new TV does not have a DVI input connector.

The component interface does not support HDCP.

So if the component outputs do not support HDCP, will modern LCD television reject a signal from those outputs? When I hook it up, component looks pretty awful. The DVI output supports HDCP on the DVHS machine?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent /forum/post/16974588

The SIR-T165 is over the air only not QAM. Are there settings for the component in like RGB or Y Pr Pb that need to be set correctly to match the D-VHS?

Mike T

I believe the manual says to set it to Y Pr Pb, which I have. I think the killer deal is lack of QAM - where I live, I can only receive 6 or 7 OTA HD signals reliably, about a third of what I can get over QAM, so I guess it's time to say goodbye to the Samsung.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There aren't many QAM tuners that have firewire output (other than cable STBs, of course). I haven't seen one personally. If you're dead set on recording clear QAM channels onto the D-VHS, you could get a QAM tuner and firewire card for your computer, and push the transport stream from the tuner to the D-VHS deck. But since it's in the computer you could transcode it to a different format or burn it onto DVD+Rs/BD-Rs instead, which are a bit more cost effective.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster /forum/post/16974733

So if the component outputs do not support HDCP, will modern LCD television reject a signal from those outputs? When I hook it up, component looks pretty awful. The DVI output supports HDCP on the DVHS machine?

Neither component out or compenendt in have anything to do with HDCP since HDCP can only be implemented with a ditial video interface such as DVI or HDMI. Your component PQ problems have anything to do with HDCP.

The DVI an HDMI protocol video protocols are ewxactly the same so since you already have a DVI-DVI cable you just need a DVI to HDMI adapter which costs a couuple of bucks to connect your DVI output to your TV's HDMI input. You will also find that one of the HDMI inputs on your TV will also aceppt the Red and white stereo audio inputs from the audio cable you also used with your CRT. See the following link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10419

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16975318

Neither component out or compenendt in have anything to do with HDCP since HDCP can only be implemented with a ditial video interface such as DVI or HDMI. Your component PQ problems have anything to do with HDCP.

The DVI an HDMI protocol video protocols are ewxactly the same so since you already have a DVI-DVI cable you just need a DVI to HDMI adapter which costs a couuple of bucks to connect your DVI output to your TV's HDMI input. You will also find that one of the HDMI inputs on your TV will also aceppt the Red and white stereo audio inputs from the audio cable you also used with your CRT. See the following link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...04&cp_id=10419

Thanks, Walford - that much I know. Problem is, those inputs are full with other things - which is why I was hoping to use the components.

I guess VHS, in any format, is a sin in the eyes of Hollywood. What a shame. Or, I just need yet another tv with more HDMI inputs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts