AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of designing my 7.1 system for my new basement family room. The plan is to have a TV above the fireplace and have all audio/video components including the 7.1 receiver in a media closet approximately 30 feet away. I need to output HDMI from the receiver to the TV,


My question for you experts is, given that i have access to the ceiling space before they install drywall, should i run a long HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV or should I use HMDI over CAT6 between the two? It's easier to run ethernet cable than it is to run HDMI but would i lose any audio or video quality with the HDMI extender?


Thank you for your responses,

Eric B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,958 Posts
I would run solid core CAT-6 (in a conduit!) and then do something like HDBase-T. You might even want to consider running another cable or two for future use or at the very least install a pull-string for running more cable later if you want to. You could run active HDMI or a heavy - gauge HDMI cable but if you ever have to replace the cable for what ever reason, it's going to be difficult to repair/replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
If you have an open ceiling the following SHOULD be run:


1.25" conduit

1 piece of decent HDMI cable


If you aren't going to run conduit, then the following is what I would say MUST be run:


1 piece of decent HDMI cable (I recommend Monoprice 22AWG HDMI cable)

2 pieces of cat-6


The conduit allows you to add a different HDMI cable or some newer magic cable if needed or to put cat-6 cables in place in the future. It's the only true 'future proof' solution out there.


But, if you can't, or won't, run conduit, then at 30' or so, HDMI will work very well in most circumstances as long as it is a decent HDMI cable and having the cat6 cables in place is a cheap addition just in case the HDMI cable doesn't work out.


Quality HDMI extenders will have no impact on signal quality. Watch out though! There are a ton of 'cheap' HDMI extenders, and they aren't quality, they often don't work and have horrible support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525302/hmdi-over-cat6-or-not#post_24556778


If you have an open ceiling the following SHOULD be run:


1.25" conduit

1 piece of decent HDMI cable


If you aren't going to run conduit, then the following is what I would say MUST be run:


1 piece of decent HDMI cable (I recommend Monoprice 22AWG HDMI cable)

2 pieces of cat-6


The conduit allows you to add a different HDMI cable or some newer magic cable if needed or to put cat-6 cables in place in the future. It's the only true 'future proof' solution out there.


But, if you can't, or won't, run conduit, then at 30' or so, HDMI will work very well in most circumstances as long as it is a decent HDMI cable and having the cat6 cables in place is a cheap addition just in case the HDMI cable doesn't work out.


Quality HDMI extenders will have no impact on signal quality. Watch out though! There are a ton of 'cheap' HDMI extenders, and they aren't quality, they often don't work and have horrible support.


So it turns out my media closet is more like 40'-45' from my TV. I should also mention that all video components will be going through my Yamaha RX-V675 receiver and output out from there to the TV. Would I still be ok with using that long of a cable for 1080p? Is 24AWG enough or should I go to 22AWG?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by befrenchy  /t/1525302/hmdi-over-cat6-or-not#post_24660722


So it turns out my media closet is more like 40'-45' from my TV. I should also mention that all video components will be going through my Yamaha RX-V675 receiver and output out from there to the TV. Would I still be ok with using that long of a cable for 1080p? Is 24AWG enough or should I go to 22AWG?
I would (and did) use 22AWG.


I run things from my family room media closet about 40' to my Denon A/V receiver, then I use 22AWG HDMI cable from there back up to my TV. Works great with 1080p. I do have cat cabling in place just in case for the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525302/hmdi-over-cat6-or-not#post_24661295


I would (and did) use 22AWG.


I run things from my family room media closet about 40' to my Denon A/V receiver, then I use 22AWG HDMI cable from there back up to my TV. Works great with 1080p. I do have cat cabling in place just in case for the future.

Thats good to hear. I will go ahead with a 22 awg cable then. Would you use a wall plate HDMI connector or would you connect directly in the TV?


Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
Definitely connect straight from the A/V receiver to the TV. No wall plates to gum up the signal integrity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,649 Posts
While it is generally a good idea to minimize the number of connections in the chain, sometimes it makes sense to bite the bullet. A 22 AWG cable is quite stiff and can be difficult to work with behind a TV sometimes, and can put excessive strain on the socket in the TV or the plug on the cable. When that is the case, a 28 AWG whip between the wall and the TV may make sense, or at least a port saver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1525302/hmdi-over-cat6-or-not#post_24665790


Hopefully you are going ahead with HDMI + a backup plan and agree with Colm that a short 'port saver' can be handy depending on where the HDMI socket on the TV is.


Joe

Thanks everyone. I will definitely go with a 22 AWG HDMI and pull 2 x CAT6 for future proof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,072 Posts
I meant to agree with the others. Plan to run the cable directly to the display, but use a port saver if you can. If it works, then keep using it as it helps to keep things clean. Most pass through wall plates where the HDMI cable comes out of the wall is open above it, so excess cable can be put into the area between joists in the ceiling. This gives you a small lightweight cord for the last few feet and will help keep the installation clean. Not every installation works without the wire being a direct connection though, so be prepared to connect directly to the display if necessary.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top