System:

GPU: ATI HD 6850

TV: 42LG70-UG

Sound: Z-5500

Drivers: CCC 10.10 and Realtek HDMI Audio

Inf: Created with MonInfo edited by Tulli

Setup:

HTPC -> HMDI -> TV -> Optical Cable -> Z-5500

I get MPC-HC, VLC, and XMBC to play DD mkvs while DTS will not work. I have tried AC3filter, FFDShow, PowerDVD, and TMT with no success. I have tried a number of potential solutions with no success.

I read elsewhere on AVS that most TVs will not pass through DTS over the HDMI to an optical out. I assume that this would be true for coax as well. Can I get a confirmation on this?

My suggested solution: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

HTPC -> HDMI -> Swtich -> HDMI to TV with Optical to Z-5500.

I read on the reviews that DTS did pass through, but I was looking to see if anyone could tell me if this would cause any delay or problems that I don't know about. I am using a 30FT HMDI 24AWG CL2.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Just run optical to the Z-5500 and hdmi to the tv. The only potential issue would be that the speaker system would have to be on to hear the tv sound (TV speakers would be disabled while playing from HTPC)

Why do you need and HDMI switch??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most TVs cannot pass multichannel audio out (except for the few formats that can encode the multichannel information over only 2 channels). If at all possible, I would never recommend sending audio out via the TV. Go to the source, and send the audio out from there, or get a receiver that can switch audio inputs if you have more than one audio source (and if you are going that route, get a better set of speakers to go with the receiver, ha). But you shouldn't have to go that route. If you just have the PC, hook the audio out from the PC (analog or optical, if you have it) to the speakers, and send the video to the TV via HDMI or DVI. The switch may work as well, but you don't really need to go that route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.