AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (relatively) new 5060 froze up last night and now when powered on can do nothing but show the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash followed by the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash followed by the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash.......on and on.

Is it time for me to pack it up and run back to Costco??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try unplugging all inputs into the replay, including the phone line or ethernet cable, and reboot that way. If it still does not boot I'd return it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mlc0903
Try unplugging all inputs into the replay, including the phone line or ethernet cable, and reboot that way. If it still does not boot I'd return it.
Looks like it's going back. DAMN DAMN DAMN! I just lost two unwatched episodes of 24 plus last night's awesome Ducks/Wings game. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
24 repeats on FX next Monday night

·
Registered
419 Posts
Havent' people reported that the 5060's from Costco were really 5080's? I would try to reformat the drive and repatch it with rtvpatch before returning it. You might get a surprise of 20 more gb.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rugby
Havent' people reported that the 5060's from Costco were really 5080's? I would try to reformat the drive and repatch it with rtvpatch before returning it. You might get a surprise of 20 more gb.
That voids the warranty, but that is what I would do, although I would never recommend that anyone else try that because it still might not work. Try that at your own risk.

Chris

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here's something funny, when I went to upgrade my 5040 with a bigger/faster drive the warranty sticker was already torn. I hadn't opened it before and it was a closed box purchase.

If you're careful I bet that sticker can be removed without damaging it, thereby bypassing warranty voiding.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That sticker was tougher than I thought it would be to remove on my 5040... It looked like it would be a piece of cake, but there were perforations ALL throughout it. I even tried steaming it. Once it got to be so blatantly obvious it had been tampered with, I gave up and just ripped it off. YMMV though. I spent about 20 minutes on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just returned a 5060 to Costco and cancelled a lifetime subscription because of the "re-boot cha-cha", as someone else so aptly described it. I lost hours of programs. :( I still think ReplayTV has more neat features, but I'm going to try out a Tivo and see if it's more stable. I've seen too many people have the same problem with the 5000-series to want to try another one right now and risk losing more programs. Sigh...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin526
My (relatively) new 5060 froze up last night and now when powered on can do nothing but show the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash followed by the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash followed by the "Please Wait" screen followed by a green flash.......on and on.

Is it time for me to pack it up and run back to Costco??
I have four 5xxx units and have the same problem. I have done exhaustive testing around this, as well.

I presume you have your 5060 connected via ehternet. I also presume you have a router that provides DHCP (dynamic addresses). If the above is not the case, what follows will not necessarily apply to you.

There seems to be some initial DHCP handshaking which occurs in the first boot up phase of the unit, and it gets into a loop. This happens only on some routers where the handshake expected is not what the 5xxx units issue. As a result the intial boot up process stays in a loop.

The sure way to eliminate this problem is to turn DHCP server off on your router and use fixed IP addresses on all devices attached to the network. Then you will need to set the ReplayTV 5xxx up with a manual address as well. After you have done that, unplug the 5xxx for 10 minutes, replug it in and the problem should be gone. Give it a few minutes on the "Please Wait..." screen, and it will go to the next screen (Welcome to Sonic Blue).

You can verify that the above will work by doing this little test. Remove your ethernet cable, reboot the machine (either soft -- by holding in the power button for 10+ seconds until the blue light goes off; or hard -- uplugging for 10 minutes and replugging), after the unit passes the "Please Wait..." screen you were stuck on, replug in the ehternet cable and the unit will function properly.

It took me a very long time to get to the simple conclusion above.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've had my 4xxx's stall out on occasion as well. I used fixed IP's and it still happens occasionally. I found that simply re-setting the Netgear router brings back the Replay in a few minutes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like there are two different problems going around. With my 5060, it would first go into the "Please wait..." screen for about 3 minutes (normal) and then onto the "Welcome to Sonic Blue", then come up to the normal "Choose either live TV, a recording", etc.., and then re-boot back to the "Please wait..." screen, repeating ad infinitum. Unplugging the network cable didn't help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenb

The sure way to eliminate this problem is to turn DHCP server off on your router and use fixed IP addresses on all devices attached to the network. Then you will need to set the ReplayTV 5xxx up with a manual address as well. After you have done that, unplug the 5xxx for 10 minutes, replug it in and the problem should be gone. Give it a few minutes on the "Please Wait..." screen, and it will go to the next screen (Welcome to Sonic Blue).

[/b]
I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply in my case. I unplugged the unit overnight and when I started it back up the reboot loop was still present. When I consider this in addition to the fact that the initial lockup was preceeded by video/audio stuttering and some drive clicking I am even more sure that the DHCP problem was not applicable in this instance.

Anyone else have the same feeling here?

Either way, I went and got a new one and it's up and running. (for now at least!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.