AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was closing down my HT a while ago, and I thought I heard a 60 cycle hum. It took a few occurances before I decided that I really was hearing it, it was that soft. It couldn't have been the equipment, since I could only hear it (barely) when everything was powered off. That was how it began.

Once I was sure I heard the sound, I couldn't help but hear it all the time...it became more and more annoying to me. Well, I looked high and low for the source. I cut all the breakers to the room, and I still heard the noise. I spent several nights wandering around the house, trying to pinpoint the source. It was driving me crazy. I was spending so much time with my ear to the walls and floors, my wife was getting jealous. Finally, the aha momement, the eureka discovery...buried in the basement ceiling, there is a transformer for the front door bell. It's screwed into an electrical box, which is nailed to a joist. When it hums, the whole house sings along. My first thought was to replace it. But the new one hums just as loud. I made sure every screw and nail was as tight as I could make it, but no joy. So here's the question: has anyone encountered a problem like this, and is there a simple solution, before I rip up the basement to relocate the electrical box?

Mike Frank:(

·
Registered
21,356 Posts
When I built my new dedicated home theater room, I picked up a wireless door bell, meaning you have the regular push button, at the outside entrance to my room addition, and a wireless module battery powered inside. So I don't worry about any hum from it. You could disconnect the old doorbell and put in a wireless, that is, if its only for that one room. Or you could tear up the wall a bit and try placing lotsa foam there and see if that helps the humm!!!???

You were better off not paying attention, right? The typical tweaker dilemma. You only hear and see it if you learn to pay carefullllllllll attention, but once you do, you can't avoid it from then on!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Mike,

There is something else real simple you might try though I don't know if it would violate local electrical code. Your hum may be being transmitted through the joist and using the floor as a sounding board. If this is the case simply un-nailing the junction box/transformer from the joist and hanging it with another piece of wire may solve it. You could also soft mount it to the joist with rubber or foam.

Of course if the sound is airborn none of this will help. You will need to move the transformer or absorb the sound.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Les:

This wouldn't work. The box also holds a lamp...nothing fancy, one of those ceramic basement type thingies, but it's the only light in the area. The only way to fool with the mounting is to add another box, which may end up being what I do. I should also add that the ceiling is finished, just to make things a little nastier. Steve's suggestion of a battery bell might be the best out, or I might try a mechanical bell, Addams Family style.

Mike Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.