AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want this to get mixed in with the other thread. I've been in our new subdivision for over a year, and I just got a letter telling me that my dish is unexceptable in its location. They say that it can't be in the front of the house or above the first roofline. I have it right above the garage in the front.

The problem - I have to point the dish basically due south. If I put it on the side of the house, I can't quite turn it enough to get my signal ( and this is the side of the house they roughed in for my wires, so the other side of the house isn't an option)

I saw the FCC sight someone pointed out, but I couldn't quite tell if my situation was covered there (can they tell me where I can put my dish) Can someone tell me my options here? and, yes, I'll fight this if I can http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Mike

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do you live in a house, condo or town house?

If it is a condo or townhouse, they can tell you to take it down from the roof/wall altogether.

If it is your house, they can ask you to move it BUT if it causes you not to get a signal OR a reduced signal strength OR it will cost you quite a bit of money to move it, then you do not have to move it.

I would write the association a letter explaining your signal needs, be a gentleman about it, I'm sure they'll agree with you. Offer to paint it any colour they wish.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in a house.

-Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Call up the FCC. They specifically say that as long as the area where the dish is installed is under your exclusive usage the HOA cannot tell you to move the dish, if it interferes with an acceptable signal.

Call up the 800 number for the FCC and ask to speak with a supervisor or dispute handler. The lady I spoke to was very helpful and called up the HOA to clarify the situation and my rights.

My HOA had not wanted me to put up a dish which rose above the balcony level even if it was contained within the balcony. Since I cannot receive certain channels without it, it was determined that I should be allowed to do so.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Your only problem might come if you are living in a designated historical district. Otherwise, the advice to this point is looking good. Read the guidelines and make sure you are within them and you should be fine.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not live in a historic district.

Can someone post the 800 # for the FCC for me?

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
FCC Consumer Information Bureau:
http://www.fcc.gov/cib/

1-888-CALL-FCC, 1-888-225-5322 (voice)

1-888-TELL-FCC, 1=888-835-5322 (TTY)

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

·
Registered
929 Posts
Do your HOA a favor and send them a note reminding them that their Dish and OTA rules must conform to the FCC requirements. I have never seen a HOA that has conforming rules. I sent mine a copy of the rules and they rewrote the convents and the new ones are still not in complacence!

Direct them to http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html and enjoy your TV. They do not have the right to stop you!

Todd

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Depending on the shape of your roof, I was able to install my dish on the side of the house along the roof line and still able to turn the dish, all I did was to pull the dish up from the mast a little. You don't have to have dish fully seated. Mine worked for two years now. Leaving my dish on the side of the house definitely made it more appealing than right in front of the garage.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried...really tried to get that to work (side of the house). I just couldn't quite get it to work.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung:
Depending on the shape of your roof, I was able to install my dish on the side of the house along the roof line and still able to turn the dish, all I did was to pull the dish up from the mast a little. You don't have to have dish fully seated. Mine worked for two years now. Leaving my dish on the side of the house definitely made it more appealing than right in front of the garage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you want to try and appease the HOA, you might try what I did. I built a small wood extension on the back eve of my house and attached the Antenna to that (use lots of caulk, don't want any water intrusion). It really should have been thicker, but in my case I was able to get a good look at the bird. Just don't let it stick too far out since the wind loading on one of these things is fairly large. Also Rat Shack has an eve adapter which you might use. And also still I think MCM has an under eve adapter which would allow you to attach to the side, clear the roof edge and shoot from there... Good luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.