AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for this post. I'm sure the answer is in this phenominal forum, but if I find one more AV component to obsess about my wife will kill me, I'll lose my job, I'll end up on the street looking an internet fix.

I watch a lot of DirecTV, I refuse to get HDTV until someone puts a DVR with it. Hooked on TIVO. I have a Sanyo z2 projector that I have no problem with for DVD and xbox. Satellite is watchable, but not pleasing. Would a scaler take my sdtv signal and put it out at 720P? If so, why would people spend the money on HD for a few channels when they can get very close to HD on every channel?

Also I currently use an onkyo 896 receiver for video switching, I know you guys do not recommend this. the scalers I can afford don't seem to have the inputs I need. I use component dvd, svideo sdtv, composit vcr, component x-box. So, 2 component, 1 s-video, 1 composite

input on the z2 is component and dvi-d.

I can spend a grand or so on this toy, but would rather keep under $500 if there is a decent product for the money.

What I need is for someone smarter than me to hold my hand, tell me exactly what to buy, and then tell me I did a good thing by buying it and that my life will be infinitely better for having spent that money.

Thanks for spoon feeding me.

Don

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
There are quite a few scalers on the market that meet your needs for around/under your specified price range. I know all too well about the 'wife factor', as mine is going to kill me when I tell her I'm spending another $2 - $3K over the next year to upgrade my system.

I'm new to HT, so there is still much I've yet to learn, but I'd check www.dvdo.com they have a few products that really seem good. I'm sure other members here can give firsthand experience with other products, and I'm also looking intently to see what they say.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it, I found another piece of a/v equipment to learn about. There goes my productivity. I think I've answered my questions. Basically Garbage in Garbage out. You can't take a satellite signal and upconvert to lose the artifacts etc.

I do have another question. I know I won't be able to turn my tivo into hd, but how much does a scaler improve the image. Since I have a 106 inch screen every little bit helps. I know it is a very subjective topic, but I'd love some opinions.

Don

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check out www.lumagen.com.

Read the site, and the reviews posted. The Vision might be your ticket. I got one, and will be hooking it up to my 8-inch CRT front projector with 100 inch screen in the next couple of weeks. Hint: ask 'em if they have any B-stock...

To me, by the way, HD is so cool that not having an HD DVR for my DirectTivo yet (HDTivo coming 2nd Quarter, '04?) is merely an annoyance. But I don't watch a lot of SD TV. Mostly HD off the dish, HD OTA, and DVDs.

But we do agree that Tivo is a neat little box--the wife watches more SD than I do, and she loves it. Cute little bloop sounds, to boot.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DJPtron
Would a scaler take my sdtv signal and put it out at 720P? If so, why would people spend the money on HD for a few channels when they can get very close to HD on every channel?
Please understand that when you scale a signal to a higher output resolution, you are not adding additional information to the original 480 lines of information. When you display HDTV 1080i or 720P you are displaying a signal that includes CONSIDERABLY more native information than a standard signal. Bottom line, don't confuse scaling of a 480i signal to 720P to equal a native 720P HD signal in terms of visual quality.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Scalers make SDTV more watchable. It was painful for me to watch SDTV (particularly as the display got better and PQ got worse). Scalers simply make the garbage signals a bit more watchable...

You can't, however, compare SDTV with HDTV. It's like comparing a Farrari with a family car (they're both get you where you're going, but...).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.