AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pin size hole in one of my tweeters, should I be worried about this? Is there something simple I can do to close or cover the hole?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've heard of people using a VERY thin coating of clear nail polish. Dunno if I'd recommend that or not.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Are your speakers still under warranty? If so just get them repaired. No reason to sacrifice the resale value and potentially sacrifice the sonic characteristics of your speakers when you can just get them repaired for free.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If it sounds bad to you and/or if it's under warranty, replace it. If it doesn't sound bad (enough) to you, wait 'til it gets worse and then replace it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586
If under warranty, do I have to explain how I got the hole?
LOL! I was wondering how you would even notice a pin size hole unless you knew how it got there. ;)

I know I would like an explanation of how the hole got there, it might be an interesting story. :D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpar95
LOL! I was wondering how you would even notice a pin size hole unless you knew how it got there. ;)

I know I would like an explanation of how the hole got there, it might be an interesting story. :D
:D Not much of a story actually, I was using a screw to remove the grill from my tweeter and I went in a little TOO far on the first speaker. I did it perfectly on the second one, but don't tell them. ;)

I don't notice any difference in sound, but would like to have it fixed just for piece of mind. I contacted MA with an email asking how to get it repaired or replaced under warranty, I am waiting to hear back from them.

If they ask how it got there, of course I will say, 'I don't know, I was just looking over my speakers and noticed it'. I will keep everyone updated once they contact me.

By the way, if they were not covered under warranty (which they are), is there a way (nail polish as previously mentioned) that I could repair them?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Anything you put on them will make the membrane notably heavier and affect frequency response in most likely a very bad way.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I dunno, if you are up front about your mistake, they might still cover it for you. Personally, Im not so sure about the half-truths, but thats just my personal morals. If you are comfortable with it, then I guess its OK.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
What brad of speaker is it ,most companies like polk ,infinity and klipsch have very good customer service and they might send you a tweeter to replace the damaged one like polk audio did for me once. Lou

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received an email from Monitor Audio today, they will be sending me a new tweeter, no questions asked. Nice. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.