AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw Hollow Man for the first time in HD. I've seen it many times in DVD since I use it as a reference disc and demo. I can't describe what I just saw any better than incredible! The depth, detail ,color palate all are the best I've seen of film in HD . I can make very accurate comparisons to the excellent DVD which I run at 720p. This is a must see since this really surpasses anything I've seen in the theater. It's on again tuesday night at 9:00 pm eastern time.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What a horrible movie. I looked over at HBO to check out the picture quality, though. I agree that it did look quite good. One of the better HD examples I've seen on HBO.

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Art,

There are a select few on this forum that will knock ANY HBO HD presentation, no matter how good the transfer. The OAR issue so clouds some people's judgement, that they can't render an accurate assessment. I personally sit back and laugh since I've seen some outstanding transfers on HBO (also some poor ones) that this same group will knock. I think it's pretty funny when you point out how great the movie looked (I didn't see it yet) and then someone will tell you there's something wrong with YOUR setup since it looked so good. I give up.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Is HBO adjusting their strategy, or was this a one time deal - I turned on HBO - HD on Dish this morning and it was Star Trek Generations, in its OAR and it was 2.35:1! Looked pretty good by the way, little grainy, but I was surprised to see the black bars on HBO.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BudShark
Is HBO adjusting their strategy, or was this a one time deal - I turned on HBO - HD on Dish this morning and it was Star Trek Generations, in its OAR and it was 2.35:1! Looked pretty good by the way, little grainy, but I was surprised to see the black bars on HBO.
This should be part of the FAQ and required reading. Generations is an older transfer made before HBO initiated their Pan & Butcher policy and presumed intentional degradation of quality policy. You will occasionally see one of these older transfers. Enjoy it because we won't ever again see this quality from HBO HD.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Elizabeth Shue was Hot :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

No way. I've seen her look much better. Even HD couldn't make her look good in this movie.
I wouldn't kick her out of bed for watching SD :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote:
Generations is an older transfer made before HBO initiated their Pan & Butcher policy
I watched Generations on HBO-HD on Dish back in May, and it was the zoomed version. Not OAR, not 2.35:1, blown up enough that the opening credits were being cut off on the right side of the screen. There must be two different transfers or HBO canned the other version (don't try to tell me there's something wrong with my set, I had it set up properly)

As for Hollow Man, personally while I found the movie itself to be incredible predictable, cliche, and unenjoyable to watch, the PQ was pretty good. Not as good as Baggar Vance last week, but as film transfers go, pretty good. I've seen worse transfers.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Elizabeth Shue was Hot
I've met Elizabeth Shue in person, and felt that she was somewht edge enhanced and exhibited a seemingly purposeful reduction in detail, with considerable edge loss due to image expansion to fill my visual field.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Shue asked me out once !

I was in her bedroom and She saidGet The Hell Out !

:D

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
let me guess.... Frank thought it sucked or was "disappointed" when he compared it to something else???

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker

I watched Generations on HBO-HD on Dish back in May, and it was the zoomed version. Not OAR, not 2.35:1, blown up enough that the opening credits were being cut off on the right side of the screen. There must be two different transfers or HBO canned the other version (don't try to tell me there's something wrong with my set, I had it set up properly)

I just took a look at the HD tape of Generations I made earlier this year. It was definitely 2.35 and the opening credits were all the screen with room to spare. I doubt very much they have two transfers of this movie. Is it possible you had your STB set to zoom mode?

·
Registered
24,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I usually spend my time on the CRT and DVD software forums so I haven't become accustomed to this sort of byplay. The OAR of Hollow Man is 1.85:1 so it essentially had the same AR as the DVD. This is a very good DVD transfer anyway so when I saw the kind of detail and range of color not seen on the DVD I wanted all here to know. I wasn't making any commentary on the quality of the movie itself ,only on what I saw as a nice HD presentation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.