AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone cares but Hollywood video is now only ordering Full Frame or Full Screen dvds, when they can get them. I sent a letter to them about this and here is what I received:

"Thank you for your message. It is important that we hear from valuable customers. It was a difficult decision as to which format to purchase. We made the decision to purchase full frame format for rental due to the public comments we have received about widescreen. Please be assured that we are collecting feedback from our guests and will be considering alternatives in our future purchasing decisions. If you reply with your address, we would be happy to mail you free rental coupons, so that you may rent any of the other DVDs that we do have available in widescreen format. Sincerely, Aaron Phillips, Hollywood Guest Relations."

So there it is, support what you will. I am thinking of selling my 16:9 HDTV and getting a 4:3 NTSC television. What was I thinking? Duh!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Why not spend one day a week fighting the cause? Simply go to each store and find a movie that exists in both P&S and widescreen. Make sure the WS is not stocked. Grab a handful of other DVDs you want to rent and go to the counter asking for the WS version of when they tell you that it is not stocked, hand them your stack of DVDs and say that you will no longer rent from this place until they start stocking the WS vesrion. Walk out. Be polite and make a point.

·
Registered
912 Posts
This IS getting out of hand!

I can't believe J6P is winning! He's wrong and we are right.

OUT

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Get used to the idea that WS-ers are now in the minority. The rental shops are just responding to the realities of the market place now that Ma & Pa Everyman have their entry level DVD players replacing their old high-mileage VHS decks. Rather than blame and/or hassle the rental stores, it would be more productive to rally to the notion of persuading the distributors to manufacture double-sided DVDs to satisfy both camps. The ultimate answer is when ALL TVs are of WS configuration. This'll take some time, though - especially given the current international and economic state of affairs. On a personal note, I've adapted to horizontal black bars when watching OTA HD material on my 4:3 set through the DTC100. But, it is still a stretch for me to get anywhere near visually comfortable with the idea that virtually half my 36" screen real estate goes to seed when watching most DVDs. Finally, if you really must have everything in WS, and the rental store doesn't have a particular title in WS, just buy the title online and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"But, it is still a stretch for me to get anywhere near visually comfortable with the idea that virtually half my 36" screen real estate goes to seed when watching most DVDs."

That's why most of us bought 16:9 or variable-ratio displays (projectors). It also has a lot to do with why almost 1 million HDTVs have sold, but only about 150k HDTV receivers.

Ironically, the existence and availability of WS DVDs has induced an opposite reaction in me - I can't watch a movie that's been pan and scammed into 4:3. I keep wondering what's happening in the missing sides of the film. Unfortunately, that means no Starz, Cinemax or "regular" HBO for me - I must either buy or rent movies on DVD or watch HBO-HD, which turns out to be somewhat costly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anybody know if Netflix will start doing the same? I stopped renting from Hollywood or BB, but Netflix is making me worry now bec they carried only PS version of Mummy Returns. Hopefully that's an exception.

Beeeil

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are we sure they don't just mean in cases where their are both versions to choose from? I find it very hard to believe that they wont carry a title like Planet of the Apes. When one considers that 90% of most new releases are widescreen only. HOLLYWOOD would be making a grave mistake if they stopped carrying all widescreen product period. I mean that would result in them not be getting more than 1 or 2 movies per month on dvd.

While Joe Sixpack may not be crazy about widescreen, I can assure you that they will be a lot more pissed off over the fact that their video store does not have Rush Hour 2 on dvd in any way shape or form, Than if they had taken that title home in widescreen.

Mark my words. If HOLLYWOOD has really decided to drop all widescreen product, They will suddenly have a rather quick change of mind on the issue when BLOCKBUSTER and other competing independent video stores are sending them Christmas cards, Thanking them for the new customers they have picked up.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My recent discussion with Hollywood Video, suggests that they will continue purchasing all titles in DVDs released BUT only ordering the Full Screen version regardless of other formats available. I noticed in another thread that Cat&Dogs and the Mummy Returns where cheaper (by $2) in best buy and other stores, maybe this is why they were ordering the FS versions. In our local Best Buy I did not even see the availability of FS version of C&D or TMR, they offered widescreen only.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Netflix is now owned by Best Buy, so their policy may change to be more supportive of Widescreen. A friend of mine who works at BBuy tells me that BBuy is supporting widescreen heavily because they are pushing widescreen TVs (apparently they have a hefty mark up!).

Quote:
"But, it is still a stretch for me to get anywhere near visually comfortable with the idea that virtually half my 36" screen real estate goes to seed when watching most DVDs."
Quit your whining :D , I was watching widescreen LDs on my 13 inch TV 11 years ago and can't even remember the last time I saw a pan & scan movie. Up until Feb. this year the largest screen I had owned during all that time was a 21" TV and the only thing I complained about was P&S crap.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
All this talk of widescreens having black bars, I had black bars on my 27 inch Sharp and my 32 in panasonic which I donated to my church. I now have a widescreen, but with 2:35:1 your going to have black bars.

Why don't they draw the drapes or pull down the shades? At night when viewing to get rid of black bars turn off the lights.

When I was 'able' 16 years ago when going to movie theatres, they had lights on as the movie came on they dimmed them, to dark for the theatre goers to view the movies.

Has it changed in 16 years since I last went to movie theatres? I have a 2 hour go to 'shop' get back to a 'up position on my Lane lounger', for me to even attempt going to a theatre would be very painful!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here we go again, the Silent Majority. I here the village idiots complaining about the widescreen movies that it's another plot to shrink the size of their TV with the black bands. They don't complain or realize with their P & S version, they are missing the sides of the movie. If you tell them, they look at you like you are crazy and say: you do? I didn't know that. Spear is right; sounds like a good idea to me. These are the same idiots who years ago bought VHS over Beta because you get 8 hours instead of 5. Hollywood Video is just caving in to the complaining morons. Lets all pretend to rent from these P & S supporters like Spear suggests, make a scene at the counter and walk out with nothing.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"But, it is still a stretch for me to get anywhere near visually comfortable with the idea that virtually half my 36" screen real estate goes to seed when watching most DVDs. Finally, if you really must have everything in WS, and the rental store doesn't have a particular title in WS, just buy the title online and be done with it."

Hmmm- Now that I think about it, I suspect this might have been sarcasm instead of a serious complaint. I find it a little hard to swallow that any member here with 700+ posts would really prefer a P&S version of a film.

If it was serious, then it's worth noting that most members on this site will complain to their local rental shop for only carrying P&S versions for a less-than-altruistic motive - IMO, if I were dictator-for-a-day, I would remove the option of P&S entirely. No film would ever be released on DVD in anything but it's OAR, and the extra space on the disc that would have been occupied by the P&S version would be allocated to extra image quality in the WS version.

That's a harsh vision, I know, but it's pretty hard to take missing a third of the image information in a P&S version.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Quote:
That's a harsh vision, I know, but it's pretty hard to take missing a third of the image information in a P&S version.
For 2.35 movies, it's almost half of the image you miss when cropped to 4:3. And you see the remaining at twice the size.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkeller_NC
IMO, if I were dictator-for-a-day, I would remove the option of P&S entirely. No film would ever be released on DVD in anything but it's OAR, and the extra space on the disc that would have been occupied by the P&S version would be allocated to extra image quality in the WS version.

There's nothing "harsh" about your vision at all! Quite the contrary, I think this is the way it should be. The arbitrary distortions introduced by P&S ought to receive no sanction at all. Why can't people acquire enough good sense to want a film shown in the format intended by its producer and director? The fundamental rule should be simple accuracy in presentation.

I suppose some people would likewise accept P&S (or would not notice the difference), if that method could be done with film in a commercial theater!!! Is it really so much to ask that movies be presented the way they were intended?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
FYI, I remember some people in this forum discussing how Walmart was only carrying the P&S version of TMR. Well, I was at the Walmart in Biloxi, MS last night, and they appeared to have equal numbers of P&S and WS copies of TMR.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I was at Best Buy yesterday in a mood to buy. I had visited their website, had found that neither Willie Wonka nor Cats & Dogs had their AR listed, and was informed by their phone and e-mail "support" that I would have to visit a store to determine the AR!!? Anyway, there I was with money burning a hole in my pocket and all they had were P&S. As I was leaving (without buying anything), I stopped at the suggestion booth near the front door and left an educational note for them effectively saying:
Quote:
Carry Original Aspect Ratio ("widescreen") DVDs. I won't buy Pan & Scan ("fullscreen") butchered copies when the OAR edition is available. "Cats & Dogs" is an example. I bought nothing today.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.