AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looks like hollywood is on the fight against pirates sneaking video recorders into theaters. They are trying to implement a "flicker light" into the movie so that recorders would pick this up and the resulting recording would be unwatchable. The article says that it will be unseen by the human eye. Can't help but wonder those who see dlp rainbows would be able to pick this up as well? maybe thousands are going to have headaches at the cinema now :)

http://boston.com/business/tech_inno...ie_pirates.htm

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, at least they're actually going after pirates with this, and not regular users and their fair use rights.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Makes me wonder how good those pirates must be. I can't imagine video camera copies would look very good or that many people would bother buying them. Is it really a big enough problem to waste time fighting?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Rob, sad to say, but it's a HUGE problem. The streets of most AsiaPac countries are riddled with camcorder capture DVDs of just about any film that comes out--and there's a major buyer audience considering the DVDs run US$1-2 a pop, and the buyers don't seem to care about the sound quality, the video quality, the head in front of the camcorder or the guy in the next row who won't stop talking during the movie. I have seen a few of these DVDs (films still in the theaters at the time), and they are awful...but people buy them like crack.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You also have to factor in that AsiaPac consumers may be making a couple of hundred US a month and thier alternative sources are VCD viewed on smeared blurry small 4:3 TV's... The difference between a VCD and a camcorder screener is probably not huge...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I do not think that the DVD's filmed in a movie are as big of an issue as they used to be, most of the DVD's that you CAN buy are copies of the original screening DVD. They are 90% of the quality of the DVD that you get in the store, with the exception of some sort of "screening copy" poping up a few times during the movie.

The DVD are 20 RMB which is about $2.50 USD...of corse you can get the one filmed in the theater for .50c less.

Disclaimer: When I travel to China, about four times a year, I NEVER get any of these to watch on the 16 hour plane flight home. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.