AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Holo I has component inputs, and can record in 480i. I was wondering if it is able to downgrade 1080i inputs and record them in 480i. Or...can the Holo II scaler (or another scaler) downgrade 1080i to 480i, and then be input to the Holo I for recording. TVs and cable boxes routinely down or upgrade signals, and if the Holo I could do this could it be a temporary way to record cable tv signals in 16x9 format? The resolution would be 480i, not 1080i, but wouldn't it look better than current cable recording methods? As much as I want to record 1080i, I would settle for watching "24" in widescreen 480i until a better solution is available. Any thoughts?

On another note is there, or could someone build, a QAM to 8VSB Converter? If you had this technology then wouldn't an OTA HDTV recorder be able to decode and record cable since it would not need to be able to decode QAM?

·
Registered
779 Posts
The holo I cannot resize the 1080i to 480i. Actually, it can't handle the 1080i input at all - it's component in is 480i only.

The holo II can take any HD picture and resize it any way you would like it, but it won't record it. All deinterlacing / scaling is happening on the board.

Just a thought: If your trying to record HD channels from your cable STB, just use the svideo out - it only put's out 480i, even on the HD channels. I know this is how the crazy motorola 5000 series work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.