AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I took the plunge and purchased the Holo3D card and it will be here in a few days. Currently I own a ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO AGP. It's about 2 years old with very light usage. The question is... How much better is a new 9700 going to be for me? I do almost zero gaming so that cannot be a selling point. Cost aside is it worth it? Will I benefit from the upgrade or should I save my money for a MikeP mod down the road? Thanks for your input. Guinn

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
With every new card, they improve the analog output stage. The 9700 would be better in this regard, but all the other stuff (improved hardware assist) you won't really notice.

Without seeing it myself, I'd venture to guess the improvement would be fairly small.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went from a Radeon AIW 7200 to a 9700 Pro.

I gained in clarity, by comparison the 7200 seemed out of focus.

On the negative side, I can´t use DXVA hardware acceleration for my TT 1.5 DVD player. Nor can I use hardware acceleration with Sonic 1.5 and PowerDVD 4.0. Maybe is me doing something wrong, but nobody has provided me with a working solution.

Take care

JayP

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I think the consensus among the other posts I searched, is while it's excellent for gaming using it for analog output to RPTV is not such a leap in benefit. I dont think the Radeon VIVO is bad at all. I think I might just go down to the local C.C. and pick one up for comparison. They are more liberal about returning stuff this time of the year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The 'leap in benefit' comes when you have a Radeon modified by Mike Parker and then the RPTV calibrated by an ISF certified guru. This is not cheap but some guys claim near DVD quality with analog S-Video source.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the Mike Parker threads and he doesnt seem to be bent on one card or chipset either. In Jan or Feb I have a ISF coming out, he frequents another forum. He has a 6 month wait list at least. I will drop MP a message see what he has to say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.