Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wondering when using Video Essentials or some other test disc for video calibration of my XG135 NEC FP, is the best way to calibrate the picture from the Holo 3 D card by placing the disc into the HTPC which I guess would be using then the Theatertek/Radeon combo or as i would think, place into Technics DVD-A10 SDI equipped player so this would play the Video essentials deinterlaced by Holo3D card and scaled by Radeon card, connected by the Mike Parker mods to the XG135. The calibrations would still be done at the projector level for ISF, not the HTPC.

Thanks

mark

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

With HOLO3D, you essentially want to adjust within the HOLO3D application via the SDI DVD player. However, you do indeed want to make sure that your HTPC's own video overlays are adjusted to relatively good levels first before you do so. You do want your NEC projector to be in good calibration first, too. (i.e. ISF calibration, or using DisplayMate on HTPC, etc). You should generally use the recommended reference settings, but they can vary from graphics card to card and graphics driver to driver. However, the best picture quality with HOLO3D may occur when the overlay settings are adjusted differently from what a player such as TheaterTek benefits from. If you post your graphics card and drivers in the HOLO3D forum, you may get a number of recommended Overlay adjustment settings.

Once that is done though, adjusting through HOLO3D:

Easy way:

For HOLO3D, I highly recommend the AVIA DVD disc. Use the Needle Pulses test patterns to adjust White Level and Black Level. (Within HOLO3D, there are Brightness/Contrast too, but you only need to adjust White Level / Black Level since they duplicate their functions too, in an easier-to-adjust behaviour by keeping the opposite end of the greyscale stationary while adjusting one end of the greyscale). This step can be done by eye. Once you've adjusted your black and white level points, you can play a DVD and then adjust the gamma correction to your personal preference. This is the "easy way"...

Harder way:

However, if you are a more advanced user, you can use the new Greyscale Video Graphic Equalizer built into HOLO3DGRAPH's application to get flat greyscale with your XG135. Display the 10-IRE-steps vertical grey bars test pattern, and adjust the graphic equalizer for each 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 IRE step, so that they measure correctly. For this last step, it is likely necessary to use a greyscale meter. The Video Graphic Equalizer can even compensate for some greyscale imperfections from CRT projectors, since you can adjust the greyscale individually in 10 IRE ranges at 10 IRE intervals. You do want to get your NEC XG135 greyscale as best as you can, before using the HOLO3D Video Graphic Equalizer.

You might also be familiar with my old XG135 calibration HOWTO. It's a fairly old article, but you may be interested in it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=90948

It is normally quicker to get an answer at the HOLO3DGRAPH Customer Support Forum - just so you know. HOLO3D posts on AVSFORUM are like looking for needles in a haystack due to the popularity of this forum!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.