AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to DIY and have been lurking but have seen alot about diysoundgroup and the Statements (full size). Just moved to a new house and trying to plan the new theater. Still have my Onkyo 876 and SVS SCS-01 7.1 speakers with the pb12 nsd sub and panasonic ae3000 from the last theater i built. The basement is unfinished, large and mostly open (~1600 sq ft ) but the theater will likely be 15 by 26 (still working out the plans). I like music as much as I do watching movies. Would do LCR but not sure what direction to go wave guide vs ribbon... Seems both are around the same cost. diysg is sweet due to AIY options but I am not afraid of making some mdf dust either.... I also will likely build an IB setup for subs ~four 18's in the furnace/storage area behind the screen. But want to get the LCR's built first.

Appreciate your input and comments.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383-s-10  /t/1521496/holtz-campbell-statements-or-diy-sound-group-fusion-sentinel-lcr#post_24453754

New to DIY and have been lurking but have seen alot about diysoundgroup and the Statements (full size). Just moved to a new house and trying to plan the new theater. Still have my Onkyo 876 and SVS SCS-01 7.1 speakers with the pb12 nsd sub and panasonic ae3000 from the last theater i built. The basement is unfinished, large and mostly open (~1600 sq ft ) but the theater will likely be 15 by 26 (still working out the plans). I like music as much as I do watching movies. Would do LCR but not sure what direction to go wave guide vs ribbon... Seems both are around the same cost. diysg is sweet due to AIY options but I am not afraid of making some mdf dust either.... I also will likely build an IB setup for subs ~four 18's in the furnace/storage area behind the screen. But want to get the LCR's built first.

If it were me, I would go with the Statements. I say that based on the fact that also listen to a lot of music. The Statements are excellent speaker, and to best them you would have to spend over $3,000 in terms of commercial big box speaker brands. The Statements need room to breath, and with your room size, they should have no problems with optimal positioning. Keep in mind that the Statements will be more detailed and will likely have greater clarity, and a more lush mid-range and some punchy bass. You would, however, most likely need to give them a good bit of power.

As far as the Seos waveguide based designs go, for home theater, they are great. Especially for people who have a large space for their particular listening environment and those who like to listen to movies at reference.

The Statements will likely sound better with music. Their theater performance is absolutely amazing as well, but, if you are the type that really likes to crank it on movies, then the Seos-waveguide design might be best.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the 876 have enough power? It has separate amps for each channel and listed as 140wpc with 2ch driven..

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383-s-10  /t/1521496/holtz-campbell-statements-or-diy-sound-group-fusion-sentinel-lcr#post_24453754

Those two speakers are so different, it would be had to judge.

My basement has a theater room, that I'm just starting to build, well, once I finish a rough sketch. I'll be using it for Movies. The other part of my basement I have a pool table, bar and what I call the media room with a large tv and big comfy sectional couch from king hickory. I plan to build the Finalists for that room and the side and surround channels will be in-celiing since the room was finished by the previous owner. I've built both speakers... The Statements are a hell of a lot more work and take more power to drive, but do sound phenomenal. I built them for a friend. The SEOS are much easier to build and sound awesome. They just so different and I guess that's while I'm building the Finalists.

If you're going to go all out on your theater room and do a projector and AT screen, then I'd suggest building SEOS speakers. If not, then your choice is a bit harder.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the plot thickens... looks like Curt has a new model about ready for a kit at what would seem to be considerably cheaper... http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_1.html

Looks like they dig to 20hz and are smaller and dont have the placement constraints of the statements. Not to mention pretty flat from 20hz through 20khz.

Would think they woupd be around 500-600 per set depending on x-over parts.

Thoughts/comments?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383-s-10  /t/1521496/holtz-campbell-statements-or-diy-sound-group-fusion-sentinel-lcr#post_24565874

And the plot thickens... looks like Curt has a new model about ready for a kit at what would seem to be considerably cheaper... http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_1.html

Looks like they dig to 20hz and are smaller and dont have the placement constraints of the statements. Not to mention pretty flat from 20hz through 20khz.

Would think they woupd be around 500-600 per set depending on x-over parts.

Thoughts/comments?
Those are replacements for the Stentorians since the Aura NS6 Drivers are discontinued. I don't think they compete or are a replacement with the Statements or Finalists.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
The Statements would definitely best the speaker linked to above. The things that give the Statements such awesome sound quality are the Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon tweeter and the Tang Band W4 mids. You won't be able to find a better DIY existing design that can do music with such detail, clarity, and overall excellent SQ that also excels at movies too!

If you don't have the room for the Statements dipole mids then just seal up the mid-range chamber and you are good to go! Yes, they do like power, but that can always be added down the line. Your current AVR can drive the just fine, as long you are don't have a huge room or crank the volume to above reference then that won't be a problem.

I would not get all caught up in the high efficiency craze as the Statements are your best bet considering you listen to a lot of music.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Im a few months late to this party post. Been catching up and reading about IB setups. How about Clearwaves 4T Dynamic Series. A DIYer built both the Statements and 4T. He stated the statements were his choice for 2 ch. music but when it comes to HT the 4T are the clear winner. http://www.clearwavespeakers.com/webapps/category/98515/300200/82317
There hasn't been a lot of builds on this site, but other sites have quite a few.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts