AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some movies the other day with the lady friend, and she commented on how she was unimpressed with the surround sound. Ouch. The next day, I played around with the good ol' Denon AVR-2500 that my dad gave me for free (he said he bought the thing for about a grand back in 1995?), and not having touched the thing in forever, realized that it was only utilizing RCA cables.

I look online and notice people saying that you can't attain true 5.1 surround with only RCA cables, as they only allow two channels - left and right. I then research whatever the hell Doly Pro Logic is, as that's what I always set my receiver to when I watch movies, and see this snippet on Wikipedia:
Quote:
When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track by using phase shift techniques. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surroundleft and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range mono rear channelwhile systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard Stereo.

...so I thought I was attaining full 5.1. surround sound by inserting my red/white RCA jacks from everything into my Denon RCA-2500 for the past couple of years. For some reason I thought the cables simply carried two seperate signals, only differentiating between front and rear.

I guess that I had always assumed I was attaining 5.1 surround because I had 5 speakers plugged into the thing along with a subwoofer.

Is Dolby Pro Logic even utilized anymore? I think it's about time I upgrade my receiver...especially when I have a PS3, an HD cable box, and am building an HTPC with onboard HDMI.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber /forum/post/16991259

I was watching some movies the other day with the lady friend, and she commented on how she was unimpressed with the surround sound. Ouch. The next day, I played around with the good ol' Denon AVR-2500 that my dad gave me for free (he said he bought the thing for about a grand back in 1995?), and not having touched the thing in forever, realized that it was only utilizing RCA cables.

I look online and notice people saying that you can't attain true 5.1 surround with only RCA cables, as they only allow two channels - left and right. I then research whatever the hell Doly Pro Logic is, as that's what I always set my receiver to when I watch movies, and see this snippet on Wikipedia:...so I thought I was attaining full 5.1. surround sound by inserting my red/white RCA jacks from everything into my Denon RCA-2500 for the past couple of years. For some reason I thought the cables simply carried two seperate signals, only differentiating between front and rear.

I guess that I had always assumed I was attaining 5.1 surround because I had 5 speakers plugged into the thing along with a subwoofer.

Is Dolby Pro Logic even utilized anymore? I think it's about time I upgrade my receiver...especially when I have a PS3, an HD cable box, and am building an HTPC with onboard HDMI.

It's time to step up and reclaim your MANHOOD!!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
This review might give you some ideas of what to look for:
http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?page_id=1120

There are 3 ways to get digital audio:

Digital coax from source to AVR

Optical cable from source to AVR

HDMI from source to AVR

HDMI is the way to get HD (lossless) audio from Blu-ray players

Analog cables can still play a part if you have a source with 5.1 analog output connections and an AVR with 5.1 analog input, but that is 6 cables running from source to AVR.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
First off, there is still Dolby Pro Logic. Some TV shows are in Dolby Surround for example.

With the advent of the DVD player, Dolby Digital became the standard for DVD movies. Digital TV has also brought us Dolby Digital shows. As mentioned above, you need a receiver with a Dolby Digital decoder, and some sort of digital audio connection.

Some movies are in DTS. DTS is standard on all AVRs these days, so that's not a problem.

Blu-ray movie soundtracks use a variety of codecs. If you need to know more about that, the stickied AVR FAQ covers it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Why is that? You can get a modern AVR for a pretty good price, IMO. The key is avoid upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. That's what gets expensive. I wish I had some of the money back I spent just trying stuff out - when meant I bought it.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on this hobby. My bedroom stereo, the RX-V657 in some ways is as good as my RX-V3900. It just didn't offer some of it's handy features.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber /forum/post/16991259

...so I thought I was attaining full 5.1. surround sound by inserting my red/white RCA jacks from everything into my Denon RCA-2500 for the past couple of years. For some reason I thought the cables simply carried two seperate signals, only differentiating between front and rear.

I helped a friend move a couple years ago, and he had the same thing, "5.1" with a pair of RCA analogs. I exclaimed, "dude!", took one of them, plugged it into the dig coax, and he replied, "whoa maaan...". Less was more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/16991921

ahh, you're where I was 5 yrs ago. Enjoy the ride, it'll cost you.

I understood your good humor. I wasn't even on the map yet until just less than three years ago. I will not admit at the moment how much poorer I am. Have I enjoyed the heck out it? Oh yeah. . . Could I have much more in my accounts if I never discovered this hobby? Oh yeah . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, you think this will bust my wallet? I just took a look over at the Dedicated Home Theater Construction forum, and I could feel my credit card start to burn in my back pocket

I really appreciate the link, SkiSmuggs. I think that Pioneer looks way sexier, but I think I'm going to start out a litttle cheaper and spring for a Onkyo HT-RC160. I've been reading this thread , which is supposedly very comparable to that Onkyo TX-607 that is talked about in your link. I can grab a refurbished unit from the Onkyo store for ~$290, which I believe would be a great starting point for what I want to attain (for now, anyways), and very reasonably priced to boot.

What do you think?

Also, what do you guys think I could get for the Denon AVR-2500 on Craig's List?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.