AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/det...JAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player's arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo's commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
First off - I own a Wii so there's no need to assemble the Wii defense force.

You have to admit though; only Nintendo could get away with selling a $30 enhanced accuracy add-on to a controller that wasn't as accurate as initially suggested (i'm looking at you Red Steel).

Simply amazing.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 /forum/post/14285535

First off - I own a Wii so there's no need to assemble the Wii defense force.

You have to admit though; only Nintendo could get away with selling a $30 enhanced accuracy add-on to a controller that wasn't as accurate as initially suggested (i'm looking at you Red Steel).

Simply amazing.

I think that was RED STEEL's fault more than Nintendo's

Very curious about this, though.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/14285614

I think that was RED STEEL's fault more than Nintendo's

Very curious about this, though.

I don't think I have played a game n the last ten years that pissed me off more than Red Steel.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Onw wonders if this new gadget would in fact improve the performance aspect of RED STEEL's controls.

But I think it may be more an issue of how the controls were implemented VS. the "accuracy" of the Wiimote, which seems to work better w/ other games.

·
Registered
831 Posts
An add on device to make the Wiimote perform like it was expected to from the start. Hopefully they pack this in with whatever game they designed it for.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, you can't really complain about increased accuracy for motion control...on the other hand--shouldn't this not have been necessary in the first place? Also, this is sort of what I was afraid of when I first saw the Wiimote: accessory after accessory after accessory. And for some reason, I actually find a basically useless plastic shell accessory (Wheel, Zapper) somewhat less offensive than a "retroactive-hype-living-up-to" accessory that basically seems like a response to third parties being retarded and unable to create smooth motion control.

This had better be priced, bundled and marketed hella smartly to prevent a "Wait, I thought you said the Wiimote was perfect?" backlash. On the other hand, if at E3 MS and Sony follow up on their rumored Wiimote-style knockoff controller add-ons as predicted, the blow is softened somewhat.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Nintendo's accessory strategy this generation is ridiculous and awful. Especially since they don't seem to have changed their infamous "one game per accessory" strategy going back to the NES days.

That said... I'll wait and see what they will be using this for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/0

On the other hand, if at E3 MS and Sony follow up on their rumored Wiimote-style knockoff controller add-ons as predicted, the blow is softened somewhat.

I doubt it. MS and Sony will be accused of copying Nintendo no matter what improvements they put in. And the old remote was usable enough, I mean the control in Metroid Prime 3 was great. MP3 control + HD games = pretty much what everyone has wanted from day one.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Too bad this probably won't be out soon enough for Tiger Woods 09 or games like that, where it'd probably be pretty damn helpful.

I just wonder technology-wise, what are they adding to make it more responsive, I hope they give a few details on that tomorrow.

Although, I have to admit, when I first say an article about this, I thought it was some sort of joke until I checked the Nintendo page. This better be the last accessory they make me buy because this is getting a little crazy.

I'm sick of accessories which only work for one game, like the Wii wheel I got with the game, or the Guitar Hero stuff that doesn't work with Rock Band, I still have GC bongos around here somewhere (admittedly, only got them because they were dirt cheap), and then others I don't have and don't plan on getting but they prove my point: Samba di Amigo (I think thats the correct title) will have maraca attachments, there's that Wii Fit wannabe that has a power-pad type setup, dance mats for DDR, etc etc. Nintendo had it right when they said they didn't sell the Wii remote as just a GC addon because accessories for only one game aren't that convenient and unless its bundled with the system that most games don't use it. Now I just wish companies would stick to this.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm skeptical. If it comes bundled with the game it's designed for, fine....otherwise I'll pass.

Edit: And if this functionality makes it as a built in standard of a Wii-mote 2.0, I would not feel too great about the two Wii-motes I've already purchased. So we'll see how this pans out.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
They should just make a new Wii remote 2.0 with this built in. This attachment is likely to get in the way of hitting my forearm.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC /forum/post/14287698

They should just make a new Wii remote 2.0 with this built in. This attachment is likely to get in the way of hitting my forearm.

May be the case - a "new" Wiimote w/ this built in AND the add-on for existing ones.

Guess we'll know more once Nintendo gets it's turn @ the E3 podium tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC /forum/post/14287698

hmm... a 2.0 remote gets to alienate everyone who has a remote and especially everyone who bought additional remotes.

Sticking with the attachment alienates everyone who may want to use the 1:1 mapping along with their plastic remote enclosures and such.

ugh, accessories are great for the manufacturer, not so great for the consumer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The wiimote itself only has a pair of accelerometers that detect forward/back and left/right acceleration. Gravity is the same as acceleration, so it can crudely approximate it's pitch and roll using gravity as a reference for down. What this setup cannot do accurately is distinguish whether the control is being moved linearly, rotated, or any combination thereof.

Enter the MotionPlus; This is a set of electronic gyroscopes which track the rotation very precisely, and don't respond to acceleration at all. So with this, the crude method of reading controller rotation based on feeling gravity with the accelerometers can be done away with. The gyroscope addon reads the controls rotation, and with knowing for sure how the control is being rotated, it can subtract gravity from the accelerometer data, leaving only the acceleration due to the control being moved linearly.

Hopefully it is a 3-axis gyroscope, and includes an up/down accelerometer which the wiimote is missing in it's native state.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I hope Nintendo doesn't even release it since people are bitching that they are selling something to improve it. i guess you allw anty them to sit back and do nothing. Also "performing like it should have" makes no sense as there was never any promise of how accurate it was going to be in the beginning anyway.

I personally am glad they are improving it rather than letting it stay crappy just where people won;t whine that it should have been that way in the beginning. If you don;t want to pay for it, stay with the current control setup then since that's apparently what you all want.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think this may be Nintendo's first unsuccessful add on for the Wii. Here are a few reasons conveniently spaced for easy arguing

1. I still don't see how this will provide true 1:1. Yes it adds a level of accuracy and sensing but how does it know its position in space. It seems this is still based on relative position rather than real position. This maybe a 1/2 step to true 1:1 in which case expect to be disappointed again IF you were disappointed the first time.

2. It doesn't translate into anything in the real world. Its not a wheel or a gun. The Wii sells accessories now because they make people feel like they are actually doing whatever activity they are playing. This is a cube that sticks on the end of the Wiimote.

3. People here might know what 1:1 means, the "hardcore gamers" might know, but the majority of the Wii market already thinks the Wii has 1:1. I don't see how Nintendo is going to make a compelling argument for most of their base to buy this. Most people don't get that WiiSports doesn't really track your baseball swing or need to you to really act like you're bowling. Whatever Nintendo shows... most people will think the Wii already does it. So why do they need this attachment.. what does it do?

4. How will Ninendo get it out there? As a pack-in it will cover one Wiimote per system assuming people want that game. Since it will be a Nintendo game I think thats a fair assumption. What about all those extra Wiimotes though? How much can Nintendo really sell this for? I know this sounds really low but I think anything over $10 is going to make adoption of it very slow. The value of this is not going to be very clear.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You know, I was thinking about it, and I think it was meant to be a pre-emptive strike against Microsoft's motion controller (hence announcing it today instead of at the conference tomorrow). However, the only motion sensitive controller Microsoft ended up announcing was the motion control built into the "Lips" karaoke microphone.

We should probably all wait until after Nintendo's conference before judging it, where we'll get the real details.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/14291461

We should probably all wait until after Nintendo's conference before judging it, where we'll get the real details.

Exactly. The person above you doesn't know "how this will work" when they haven't even announced "what" it even is! lol Also people are complaining they have to pay for something that "should have been there in the beginning" yet Nintendo did not even say if it will cost anything or how much it will cost! It's interesting people can already know this will fail before Nintendo gives any details at all. Probably the same people who said the Wii would still be in stock 1 week after launch and be easy to find from then on.

Now I justw ant them to announce a 1:1 zelda game to be released THIS year and I will be happy with E3. (and will be happy also if EA ever buys out take 2 where there will be GOOD baseball games made).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts