AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Toshiba 5109 turns the subtitles on and off throughout the movie. I do not want them on, they are indeed turned off but they just come on at random. On another forum there are many others with this same problem. Is this a software or hardware issue?

It is very distracting to say the least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I noticed the same thing as well on both my dvd players (sony dvp-s330 and panasonic dvd-rv31), so I think it might be a disc problem. If so, that is a real bummer, as they did a really good job of the disc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the Panasonic Rv30 and the new Grail disc plays just fine (i watched it twice and didnt notice any problems)

(if you are wondering why i watched it twice- the second time- i listened to Gilliam and Jones's commentary. The movie just rocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't watched the movie yet, but I did go through some of the supplements on the 2nd disc and noticed one problem there.

If you go to the cast bios, and select Michael Palin to see all the characters he played, when you select one of the characters, it will bring up a character actually played by Terry Gilliam, and when you try to go back, it will take back to Terry Gilliam.

Just a minor detail, not as annoying as the subtitle problem would be.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I didn't have this problem with my Skyworth, but I did notice that once I turned the subtitles on with the subtitle button I had to go back to the menu if I wanted to turn them off.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I noticed in the Hometheaterforum that alot of people with toshiba's had this problem. I have a second gen Philips 810(I think) and it did it on that too. My projector is getting fixed so I didn't test it on my HTPC yet.

It is such a weird bug though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The problem is related to the "Follow the Killer Rabbit" feature. Whenever a point in the disc where the rabbit appears is reached, the subtitles turn on automatically. This happens even if the feature is not turned on!:confused: The player will then say that subtitles are off, but they'll be there anyway. To shut them off you have to turn the subtitles on & then off again. This will shut them off, but only until the rabbit comes up again, and then the whole thing starts all over again. This makes watching the movie almost impossible.

My player is the Toshiba 3109, & this is the 3rd recent DVD to come up craps on it (Godfather & Simpsons problems also show up).

Another, non-player-related problem is that the 1st fake Swedish subtitle (under the title of the film) has been omitted. It's on the Criterion laserdisc & the restored print in theaters. This is basically the 1st joke in the movie & sets the tone for all the fake Swedish subtitles that follow, so it's omission really sucks.

Anyway, I called Columbia Tri-Star yesterday to complain and left my name & phone # on the voice mail, and I'll be damned if I didn't get a return call from them at home at 8:30 last night! He was very concerned with the situation, had gotten a couple of other calls on the issue, and said he'd get back to me with a resolution. I told him to check out this and other forums to see the extent of the problem. I was very impressed with the speed of their reply & the true concern he seemed to show.

By the way, there's so much cool stuff on the DVD I almost don't NEED to be able to see the actual movie (LOL)!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've seen this movie so many times that I didn't think of buying the new DVD release. Then I read about the special features in WSR that included a "japanese version with english subtitles". Well that sealed it, so I'm getting the disc.

John Moschella

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry, could you post a response if you get one?

Could you post the phone number you used to contact them?

I'm sure all concerned would greatly appreciate that!:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
310-244-4000

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella
I've seen this movie so many times that I didn't think of buying the new DVD release. Then I read about the special features in WSR that included a "japanese version with english subtitles". Well that sealed it, so I'm getting the disc.

John Moschella
I was standing at Best Buy reading the extra's, and that is the one that made me start laughing out loud and made me buy it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
John Moschella-

Hey John- the caveat of this fantastic set is that i was a little mislead by the back of the packaging. IT states on disc two you get the Japanese version- well this is and isnt true. You only get two scenes dubbed in japanese and it lasts for a little over five minutes.

BUT- the set is still fantastic and you still should go buy it!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yeah, if you want the entire Japanese dub you will need to get the Criterion LD. It contains all of it on one of the analog audio tracks. No subtitles, but you could always turn on closed captions if you wanted to.

Just a side note for anime fans, the voice of Lupin III is the voice of Arthur in the Japanese dub.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.