AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound unreal but look what Microsoft is doing! We may get HD material to fit on a single layer DVD & have room to spare! They're talking only 3 gigs! WOW!

Terminator 2 will be re-re-released by Artisan using newly developed low-bitrate HD compression codec that is now being experimented.

If this thing looks anything close to HD material it will get rather interesting very QUCKLY!

Read the write up..

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/393/393023p1.html?fromint=1

·
Registered
437 Posts
Terminator 2 HD release was addressed in several posts on HTPC and HDTV Programing forum.

Short summary:

1-Storage needed haven't been determined yet. 3 Gig is for another HD movie.

2-Speculation on WMP9 Encoding is it will propably fills a single DVD-9 Dual layer DVD @7-8Mbps.

3-June release.

4-Better PQ then Liquid Demo with Higher then 720p Resolution. 1080/24? Maybe.

_____

Sam.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Not for anyone with a HTPC :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Consumer A/V gear is, to a certain extent, a controlled delivery market.It is also based on 'human emotion' as it is about movies, and music. The way people think about such is being challenged BY the 'computer' (Internet, etc) approach to such.

Computers were BORN in the middle of a marketing WAR zone. As a marketing strategy..computer marketing takes NO prisoners. Finally, the unstoppable Juggernaut of the PC world meets the unbreakable force of Home consumer A/V. The home consumer market is smaller, but requires a different strategy than that which PC companies use.

BUT....the old A/V model is disappearing fast..as the age of PC users begins to creep up... the entire "known" A/V marketing philosophy and 'way' is being trashed wholesale.

I should know, I've been using a PC since the first year of high school, a commodore Pet, and the like. I'm also paying attention.

The applicable market is shifting, and the PC world IS blending into the Audio/video world as fast as can be. Microsoft is merely pushing the situation. The PC world wishes to continue expanding. they have NO choice but to expand into the huge A/V marketplace..and as fast and as powerfully as they can, in any way they can. Notice the proliferation of gaming consoles....and who is connected to them.

Long ago, I stated that the PC world would throw $100M start-up companies to the wolves to get this done.... if that's what it takes. I was told 'not bloody likely'. Well......here we go...... another prime example.

Does anyone remember that thread from about 2 years back? The one in the video processors forum? The one on exactly this subject?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Whoa, hold the phone. The link at IGN says that the hardware requirement is a 1.8GHz PC. The Step Into Liquid spec is 2.4GHz or better. I know my 2.2GHz PC (with ATI 8500) can't smoothly play back any 720p or higher rez media files without dropping frames constantly, including Step Into Liquid or even the hi-rez Matrix Reloaded trailer.

This would seem to imply that the T2 file is 480p, or something similar, wouldn't it? Maybe it's my PC?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
Whoa, hold the phone. The link at IGN says that the hardware requirement is a 1.8GHz PC. The Step Into Liquid spec is 2.4GHz or better. I know my 2.2GHz PC (with ATI 8500) can't smoothly play back any 720p or higher rez media files without dropping frames constantly, including Step Into Liquid or even the hi-rez Matrix Reloaded trailer.

This would seem to imply that the T2 file is 480p, or something similar, wouldn't it? Maybe it's my PC?
Everything I read on the web seems to point to it being true HD quality. I think your frame-rate problem most likely has to do with the video card...?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DAK
It is definitely encoded at 1080p the system requirements are in error. For those who have spent considerable time working with wm9 files in high resolution, eg. AVS member jsaglia, the recommendation is a p4 2.8ghz minimum.

Chris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cmont
It is definitely encoded at 1080p the system requirements are in error. For those who have spent considerable time working with wm9 files in high resolution, eg. AVS member jsaglia, the recommendation is a p4 2.8ghz minimum.

Chris
Chris,

I assume you meant the recommendation is a p4 1.8ghz minimum.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dallas
Chris,

I assume you meant the recommendation is a p4 1.8ghz minimum.
Hey Chris

I wish. 2.8 is the right figure. There will supposedly be some video cards coming out that will be optimized for wm9 thereby reducing the hit on the cpu but as of right now it is very cpu intensive. jsaglia, or Jerome, from AVS has been cataloging many movies in the format so I trust his opinion.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
There seem to be 3 main threads going on for this one subject. One in HTPCs, one in HDTV recorders and this one. Anyway, just wanted to point out that a Microsoft rep has stated that this will be something greater than 720p.

Here is what Amir from Microsoft put on the HTPC forum:
Quote:
Originally posted by amirm
Our spec for 1080p is a 3Ghz PC with a proper graphics card (bus bandwidth to memory card is crucial here as all decoding is done in software and then a ton of data is moved from main memory to GPU frame buffer). Requirements for 720p are lower and is what was posted in this thread an our alias (2.4Ghz P4 typically). You can imagine the CPU requirements would be between these two extremes.
So, it looks like it might be between 720p and 1080p and at some computer resolution instead. For those with HTPCs, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" comes out next week with a 720p WM9 version that is 3GB on the 2nd disc. It is said to look very good. I'll be buying an Athlon 2600+ chip to replace my current 1800+ and see how that goes. I'm sure we'll see some reviews of how it compares to the D-Theater version.

--Darin

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Not that I'm happy about more compression...but if the codec is good enough to look better than or equal to D-VHS I won't complain.

Let us know how the comparison is. Fascinating that studios are licensing titles when there is no actual "HD DVD Player" spec to market to...

-dave

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:
"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" comes out next week with a 720p WM9 version
No it doesn't !!! SitSoM will be in 1024x576 which is effectively PAL wide according to Amirm.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy
No it doesn't !!! SitSoM will be in 1024x576 which is effectively PAL wide according to Amirm.
Thanks. I remembered reading that in the article, but looked back and it wasn't there (not the first time my brain skipped). I guess I don't need the fast processor for the Motown stuff, but looks like T2 should require a reasonable fast system.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A hair dissapointing that the first release is not realy high rez material but then the source is not pure film and high quality so I am told...

I am itching for the T2 release and the good thing is that this format is totally resolution independant... As soon at 5- 6 Ghz is commonplace and BluRay disc drives are in everyday use there is nothing stopping a company choosing to offer boutique uber rez versions all on the same format that runs streaming media at low bitrate...

Once MS makes the audio filter fully directshow compatible Zoom Player can be the one media player for DVD and HD accross the board...

I for one applaud this direction...

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Phat, I'm only in my 30's, so I can hope that in ten years life will be worth investing in age-entending medical treatment. And yes, I do wanna live for a thousand years. Maybe ten thousand!

·
Registered
123 Posts
For you who havn't seen the demos yet (the Into the Liquid one mentioned here f.e.) there is a page with downloads at Microsoft Windowsmedia site.

http://windowsmedia.com/9series/Demo...p=VideoQuality

I recommend the Confidence trailier. I can run it on my AMD 1900+ without any problems or stutters at all. The Liquid v2 demo (with higher rate) does pause and stutter several times though.

The quality is really great. Ok, it does use heavier compression, but WMV9 shows its strengt when it can do 2,66 times the pixel resolution at about same bitrates as normal DVD's. Of course the same video with less compression and higher bitrate will look better, but you have to consider the quality against size/and bitrate. Impressive. But also a real PC hog of as already stated. But my 1,6GHz CPU (1900+) managed to do both Confidence and A Foreign Affair without hickups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the NEW TERMINATOR HI DEF disc and I wanna know IF I authorize the disc

CAN I VIEW IT ON ANOTHER MACHINE ..LATER?

CAN I take it to my BUDDY's HOUSE nd PLAY it THERE?

Not to mention the interactual PLayer doesn't work on WIN 2k over here

I have 6 WORKING SOFTWRE PLAYERS and use this machine to author dvd's , edit mpeg-2 , etc

BUT NO PICTURE IN THE STUPID INTERACTUAL PLAYER

Win DVD 4. whatever , plays the disc fine

BUT TO AUTHORIZE IT you need INTERACTUAL TO RUN..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.