AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this in their theater. I saw this at home depot today and I'm considering using it on my walls and maybe to cover the concrete floor in my basement. Any info on its use in a home theater would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm thinking about using that same stuff in my theater, which is still in the rough framing stage. I've been reading some materials on soundproofing, so I know a little about it.

It's basically made of sound-absorbing fibers, and a typical way to use it is to sandwich it in between two layers of drywall. It can be applied directly to wall studs, if preferred. It's usually used on walls and basement ceilings, and it's purpose is to weaken the sound transmission through walls and ceilings to other areas of the home.

I've never seen or heard comments on whether or not it improves acoustics inside the theater, but I'd love to know. My guess is it will be more absorbent than drywall.

Anyone care to enlighten us as to its acoustic properties other than soundproofing?

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
Actually, it won't do alot for the acoustics in the room. It may reduce the noise floor (a beneficial side effect of sound isolation).

My suggestion, however, is to install on the walls outside the theater (opposite side of the theater walls).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used this product on my front wall and covered it with fabric. It's not real easy to work with, you can cut it with a utility knife but not easy to get a straight line. My complaint is that it has an odor. The smell is hard to describe (dirty?) but it's not good. Not sure what I'm going to do might have to remove it. It's been a couple of weeks and it's (odor) still there. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Marjen,

Are you talking about the 440 Sound Board stuff like : http://www.homasote.com/sb.html ? If so it appears to be designed with sound in mind. Looks like it is for interior applications as well.

I was planning on using REGULAR Celotex that is medium brown fiber all the way through and slightly pinchable. It is dark brown/black on one side. The smell I don't consider bad at*all. I've had it covering my windows for a while without fabric (room in progress). Wife or guest looking at room don't notice it. I bought it Menards as HD didn't carry it. From web searches seems like Celotex is having some trouble.

I will check if my local HD carries the 440 sound board or can get it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes ScottF200 that is the stuff. They sell at at hd in 4x8 sheets for like 16.50. I was thinking of using it on my walls and to cover a concrete floor under a carpet.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Gotcha. The closest HD by me stopped selling it but another one still close by had some for 18.72.

I will probably take a closer look at it.

BTW here is a mother load of links relate to noise:

http://home.att.net/~rcp-conseaco/links.htm

It's been a few months since I got into the different numbers of NRC and STC but .20 for NRC does not seem that high.

Back at ya.

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
.20 is not that high for an NRC; however, I do not recommend using this in home theater applications. You can look at it as a weighted average and is not the useful. See if you can get the absorbency coefficients in 1/3 octaves.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Dennis E,

I certainly respect your opinion and empirical testing. If I end up using it anywhere it may be a layer in my floating floor. Thanks for the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.