AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building a new home and I will be running the low voltage wiring, I want to install audio to the bedrooms, deck etc. After looking around I am considering the MCA66SET-KC7 from HTD.com. Does anyone have this system?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you search this forum for "HTD" or "MCA 66" you'll find a lot of threads including folks that have that system...

Reactions: johnstonk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is my concern, if install this system I will be running CAT5E/6 to the control boxes in each zone and then run speaker wire to each room. After looking at different systems, is this the "Standard" for installing the wiring during the build process. I ask this because, what if 10 years down the road this system breaks, do most of them use this same connections?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes.
Speaker wire is and has been speaker wire since God were a boy.
CAT is so multipurpose that in 10 years you could use it for most requirements even if they were not CAT specific. E.g. The future equivalent of a launcher and iPad on the wall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.
Speaker wire is and has been speaker wire since God were a boy.
CAT is so multipurpose that in 10 years you could use it for most requirements even if they were not CAT specific. E.g. The future equivalent of a launcher and iPad on the wall.
Should I run the speaker wire by the control box in each zone, I read that some where?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Should I run the speaker wire by the control box in each zone, I read that some where?
Yes, that's the CEA standard - the home-run speaker wires pass through the keypad location on their way to the speaker locations... Which then allows you to use any of the systems on the market. And anything in the future would certainly utilize the same setup (because a manufacturer would be stupid to use something else, as this is what is installed in any pre-wired home today).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's the CEA standard - the home-run speaker wires pass through the keypad location on their way to the speaker locations... Which then allows you to use any of the systems on the market. And anything in the future would certainly utilize the same setup (because a manufacturer would be stupid to use something else, as this is what is installed in any pre-wired home today).
Thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
But I would loop through the area and leave the cable uncut in place.

In wall active volume controls are going the way of the dinosaur. Now the CAT and keypad messages the central box to turn it up.

If you skip this a future system is unlikely to cry for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I would loop through the area and leave the cable uncut in place.

In wall active volume controls are going the way of the dinosaur. Now the CAT and keypad messages the central box to turn it up.

If you skip this a future system is unlikely to cry for it.
That's what was going to do. Is the HTD MCA-66 an older version of the Russound MCA-66?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
That's what was going to do. Is the HTD MCA-66 an older version of the Russound MCA-66?
No, just an unfortunate (or intentional) duplication of product names...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts