AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have been looking through all 6 pages of threads in this place and have found similar difficulties, however I am still in need of clarification. First off I just purchased my first home and my girlfriend and I are set to move in, in about two weeks. The house was built in 1920 so plaster walls, old wiring, etc. We absolutely love to entertain and were looking for a way to get audio for get-togethers throughout the three rooms on our main floor.

Our living room, dining room, and kitchen are all connected. Basically I am looking for a low cost way to get sound into these three areas and maybe the back deck, via one receiver. I was looking at getting a HTIB but I get the feeling that I am going to need the flexibility of a decent standalone receiver. I really can't afford to tear out walls and run wire right now, eventually that is a definite option. I would just like to add say 2 speakers in each room.

I have looked into the Sonos and there is no way I can afford to spend that much right now. I have also looked at the squeezebox and the Linksys Wireless Music Bridge. I understand that the bridge will allow me to stream music from my PC upstairs to my receiver but can it help me with the other rooms?

Basically I am just looking for a temporary budget plan for this upcoming spring / summer entertainment. Then I can look further into my best course of action. Like I said I have yet to pick out a receiver yet so anything I should be looking for in particular would be appreciated.

I guess I should say that I can run wires, under the floor if necessary. However the idea of drilling through beautiful antique hardwood makes me stick to my stomach. Sorry for any ambiguity and for the long winded nature of this post. Thanks in advance.

-Dom

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
For budget I'd say squeezebox or maybe some used Audiotrons.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stretch a little. We have Sonos and it is HANDS DOWN the best audio distribution system that exists....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo /forum/post/12959442

Hello all! I have been looking through all 6 pages of threads in this place and have found similar difficulties, however I am still in need of clarification. First off I just purchased my first home and my girlfriend and I are set to move in, in about two weeks. The house was built in 1920 so plaster walls, old wiring, etc. We absolutely love to entertain and were looking for a way to get audio for get-togethers throughout the three rooms on our main floor.

Our living room, dining room, and kitchen are all connected. Basically I am looking for a low cost way to get sound into these three areas and maybe the back deck, via one receiver. I was looking at getting a HTIB but I get the feeling that I am going to need the flexibility of a decent standalone receiver. I really can't afford to tear out walls and run wire right now, eventually that is a definite option. I would just like to add say 2 speakers in each room.

I have looked into the Sonos and there is no way I can afford to spend that much right now. I have also looked at the squeezebox and the Linksys Wireless Music Bridge. I understand that the bridge will allow me to stream music from my PC upstairs to my receiver but can it help me with the other rooms?

Basically I am just looking for a temporary budget plan for this upcoming spring / summer entertainment. Then I can look further into my best course of action. Like I said I have yet to pick out a receiver yet so anything I should be looking for in particular would be appreciated.

I guess I should say that I can run wires, under the floor if necessary. However the idea of drilling through beautiful antique hardwood makes me stick to my stomach. Sorry for any ambiguity and for the long winded nature of this post. Thanks in advance.

-Dom

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$1000 dollar stretch is kinda rough when a $200 squeezebox was my only other suggestion. I just don't think I can swing it right now. I love the system, the form factor, and ease of use and everything but I cannot justify the expense at the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts