AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into setting up a home automation system, but I must have security integrated into it as well. I've looked into a number of different products on the surface and it seems like there's trade-off between all of them. Can anyone help me out based on their experience and research.

Here's what I've looked into so far SmartThings, IRIS, Staples Connect, Revolv, Ninja Blocks, SimpliSafe, and FrontPoint. There may have been more, but those are the ones I remember.

On the security side I need: door/window sensors, IP cameras, door locks, garage door opener, motion sensors, and smoke/CO2 detectors.

On the automation side remotely manage HVAC, remote open front door, remote open garage door, lights (but I think they all do that and don't really care too much about this). What would be really nice if I could remotely open and close the back door. That way I could let the dog out and back in without actually being home. Would need a camera to make sure the dog got back in of course.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Tony

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Tony, IMO you really should look into a VeraLite or a Vera3 from Micasa Verde (or just VERA as they call themselves now). It is Z-wave out of the box but if you add an Insteon modem to it you can also control Insteon and X-10 as well. It also supports streaming IP cams in fact they make three models of them.

Check out this link on the Micasa Verde forums re using the Vera as a security system, Vera as a Security System . There is some good info on this and alot of people do use a Vera as a security system, and many others get both or an integrated system. It depends upon your needs. Oh I have heard there are plug-ins for using the Vera with DSC security panels so you may want to check that out as well.

Now as far as security systems with HA built-in, try the Honeywell Lynx with or without a Tuxedo Touch. It is a z-wave controller so it can control Z-Wave lighting, thermostats, door locks and deadbolts but will NOT cooperate with any Z-Wave sensors. It may someday but for now you will need to buy Honeywell wireless or wired sensors as Honeywell is security first company so they want you to buy their products. If you want to go wireless with them you also need the wireless module which I think is an additional $250 or so but then you can use their 5800 series of wireless products.

Another options is ADT Pulse, they are compatible with all GE devices but not much more although that may be enough for you and there is actually no reason why other manufacturers z-wave products would not work on it as well, just ADT will not guarantee it.

Insteon is also a good way to go with HA first security second and they have quite a bit of security type devices that can integrate and be used for security purposes.

Hope that helps, post back if you have more questions or visit our store .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts