Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CES 2004:

DId anyone see our "Tsumani/Fishman" Bug in the North Hall with the Crestron in the dash. The entire car (steering, HVAC, Audio/Video, Windows, Doors, Lights, mirrors etc.) with the exception of throttle and brake is controlled with a Crestron ST-CP/VT3500 system using a Knox Video 8x8 A/V switcher for routing. There are over 120 relays used in the install. There is also a computer interface with the factory VW data port to display all of the engine data (speed, tach, oil, water temps). Steering can be done from either door using Ford mirror controls connected to the Crestron. We drove the Bug down US1 in Daytona for a little over 4 miles to the loading dock. Audio Processing is handled by an Alpine 5.1 system and power is provided by the new Crown/JBL amps and speakers. By the way the front headlights (working) are also fishtanks(!).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still more.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's pretty cool Brent.

I've been trying to get some of the custom car builders around here to use Crestron for about six years...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Tony.

It is my understanding that there has been an AMX car in the past. As well as another Crestron car, however I do not think that they took it quite to the level that we did.

BTW, you do great work on the "Yahoo Crestron Group".

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent McCall
It is my understanding that there has been an AMX car in the past. As well as another Crestron car, however I do not think that they took it quite to the level that we did.
I'm sure they didn't :)

I've heard of a couple of cars with touchscreens before too, but have never gotten to see one.

Headrest TV monitors are everywhere now, and I always see two or three remotes in the vehicle, that no one knows how to use. It would be great to replace those monitors with video touchscreens, that could control all the equipment as well. Not only would the remotes not be needed (or lost), *anyone* could operate it.

How about controlling the house from the car... Surfing the internet... The possibilities are endless :)

Quote:
BTW, you do great work on the "Yahoo Crestron Group".
Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony:

"How about controlling the house from the car".

Thats a great idea. I was already planing on using the STX1700C in-wall kit for dash mounting in our car for CES 2005. That panel and a 2 way antenna in the garage will work perfect. I am also working with a Sound Quality car for competition that will use a crestron system for control.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The STX is a good idea, but there are a couple of things to be aware of:

1. The wall-mount docking station is hideous (IMO), but you could probably dress it up in the car, with some custom work.

2. The STX's range isn't very good either (

For "house control", I was thinking more along the lines of a wireless internet connection in the car, then "link" the car's processor with the home's. For a less-sophisticated version, you could use a cellular modem to dial-up the system in the house. Either of those methods would allow the house and car to communicate from anywhere -- not just the driveway :)

Beyond that -- how about a PDA controlling the car from outside (or inside), remotely, using the Crestron's webserver. That would be extremely cool at the car shows.

Feel free to email me, if you want to bounce around some ideas...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
But dude, how many watts can it put out ;) :D?
Man... I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that in car audio - and sometimes Home audio :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QQQ:

Actually I don't know the watts, the amps are the new JBL "Crown" amps.

They are great sounding amps. Chris Dragon, Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge all of JBL provided a lot of help. (for info on Gary & Mark go to www.teamgates.org ). The wireless IP idea has merit, as does the PDA. We are currently using the Crestron Presenter (mouse) for outside control.

BTW, for those that are interested Mark is having a Sound Quality Seminar @ the Installer Insitute in Daytona Beach after Spring Break Natl's. in march

( http://www.carsound.com/UBB/ultimate...c;f=5;t=001567 ).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
some more photos

Note that the center channel floats off of the dash on an acrylic spar.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Headlights are working fishtanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seats are handmade one off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent McCall
Chris Dragon, Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge all of JBL provided a lot of help.
I've been trying to get Gary to put Crestron in one of his cars for at least five years. Next time you talk to him, ask him about it... :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is One Big Heavy Sub.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Whole Car is lit with LEDs.

Tony: Are you near Gary. if so this could resolve some issues.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forgot the Photo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.