AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been reading these and other forums for a while now, looking for information and learning everything I can.

The reason for my first post in the forum is I'm looking for information regarding how to get training as a Home Automation installer.

I live in a country in South America and there's practically no professional installers here. I'm looking to get some training so I can offer professional installation services, but I don't know where to get started.

What should be my first steps to get proper training and experience in this line of work? I'm an electrical technician so I have that part down.
Unfortunately, I cannot try to get experience by finding work for another company because there are no other companies around here that do this.

Looking forward to your answers!

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
A custom installer needs two types of training, general low voltage knowledge, and product specific training. General knowledge training classes are tough to find outside of CEDIA in the states. Product specific training is much easier to gain access to, you just need to get setup as a dealer of the product line about which you would like to learn. This may involve a financial investment in their line, but that investment is usually paid back in demo systems and training classes.

The best advice I can give is to learn what products would best serve your market, and then contact the manufacturers. If they have an interest in you geographic area they may be able to provide you with the training and support you need to get started.

Best of luck, it isn't the easiest way to make money, but it can be a lot of fun at times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello XJBaylor, thanks for your reply!
I did find this CEDIA training class called Basic Residential Bootcamp (sorry can't post links yet) which seems to basically offer training in cabling,electricity, etc. I see that after that, you can get certified in a couple of other things with CEDIA.

I'm guessing that with the Basics down , the best path would be to pick a vendor and get their specific training?

I see many people here in the forums saying that there is not a lot of money to be made in this field. I find it strange since I would think that equipment should be getting more accesible as time passes and more people can afford to get home automation. Are many people just going the DIY route, or is it just a very niche market?

I am interested because in my country there' s basically no one that does this professionally and there are a lot of people with deep pockets that I think would be willing to get this installed in their homes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Subscribe to CE Pro, residential systems and electronic house. You can learn a lot from those. Focus on the legit brands. Not the DIY bs. You want to sell systems that play nice together. The latest and greatest isn't always the best.

Finding a distributor in your country might be an issue. Shipping everything in from states could get expensive.

Have patience nothing happens overnight. Lots of learning ahead of u.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gerard143! I'm very much aware that it's a long road ahead but I'm vey excited.
I think I should definitely concentrate on premium brands. I hope that's away to get higher paying customers that are willing to have something that just works, no fiddling around for them.
THanks again!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello XJBaylor, thanks for your reply!
I did find this CEDIA training class called Basic Residential Bootcamp (sorry can't post links yet) which seems to basically offer training in cabling,electricity, etc. I see that after that, you can get certified in a couple of other things with CEDIA.

I'm guessing that with the Basics down , the best path would be to pick a vendor and get their specific training?

I see many people here in the forums saying that there is not a lot of money to be made in this field. I find it strange since I would think that equipment should be getting more accesible as time passes and more people can afford to get home automation. Are many people just going the DIY route, or is it just a very niche market?

I am interested because in my country there' s basically no one that does this professionally and there are a lot of people with deep pockets that I think would be willing to get this installed in their homes.

Thanks again!
The CEDIA Bootcamp is, as advertised, pretty basic...but I think that is exactly what you want. It will give you an overview of the industry, and a good idea of what opportunities and hurdles are ahead of you. Beyond that you will learn some pretty basic skills. Wire types, wire terminations, etc.

In the end it is a very niche market, and even though the barriers to entry are low, the cost of running a successful business is high. As margins come down on products more of your income will need to be made on service, which means learning how to charge what your time is worth. There will always be someone willing to charge less, so it is important that you figure out what unique value you bring to the customer.

Good luck if you decide to go this route. It is a tough way to earn a living, but it can be a lot of fun too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts