AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Wonderful Forum everyone, it has been very helpful to me in many aspects over the years.

I am a new comer to the Home Automation frontier. I started with the Lowes Iris a while back,I think I have hit the end of it's ability.

I am looking for a solution that will

1. allow me to manually create what options's I have for what Iris call's Magic, really just the macro's but have the ability to do If then, unless statements and things of that nature

2. better integration with my home theater system also to allow the above to control the if then unless stuff.

here is an example of my frustration

In my living room I have 2 of the motion sensors setup for light control during the night it turns on a lamp and there are 2 because of the size and shape of the living room. the same lamps have smart buttons setup to control them manually. the schedule for the motion sensor is set from 11pm until sunrise and they stay on for 2 minutes.

issue 1 they are turning off after 2 minutes continued motion doesn't reset the timer

issue 2 say I have the lights on with the smart button so they stay on, and 11pm rolls around then I stand up and trip the motion sensor trips, the lights are turning off 2 minutes later.

issue 3 since there is no home theater control options or sensor options lets say my wife and I are watching a movie late, and 11pm rolls around and I happen to move in my chair and stretch here comes 2 minutes of lights.

issue 4 I want the ability to actually set an All off button at the end of the day that will lock the door, turn off the lights and do anything else I am wanting it to do. where this an issue with iris is say I have lamp 1 and 3 on and lamp 2 and 4 off and press the button I want to turn the stuff off, I am now turning off the ones that were on and on the ones that were off.

the iris system has been wonderful for getting someone who has never been a home automation user into it, but since I have grown and now and wanting to have a system that will allow me to grow as well I am looking for some input from more experienced users.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day.

-Ken

·
Registered
80 Posts
Iris is not really Home Automation, but rather Home Control. You need a product that allows for conditional logic programming. I use Control4, but it is not DIY friendly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think what you are looking for is a system like Vera, or HomeSeer. You already have Iris so the lighting controls and sensors are Z-Wave and can be used with either a Vera out of the box, or with HomeSeer HS3 if you also get the Zee or a ZTroller interface/gateway. Plus both the Vera and HS are not only z-wave compatible they can also use X-10 and Insteon with the proper combo of interfaces. For your situation though I would recommend HS for the IR capabilities it has. I should clarify I KNOW HS2 will do everything, HS3 not as sure but it will most likely be just a matter of time, as its the new version. We sell all of the above and the VeraLites are 10% off these days, so that may be a good place to start as you do not have to dump your IRIS accessories and switches. The only caveat is that the Vera is an IR transmitter only although you can get Square and that will take care of the 2-way IR for you. HS used to have two-way IR built into it if you get an IR transmitter like USB-UIRT.

Vera will let you do alot of specialized scripts that offer alot more functionality than most other controllers or systems. HS is good too but not as much help as the Vera Forums will give, there are literally hundreds of experts available on there every day. Home Theatre is really not integrated very well at this time into most HA controllers, I do not know of anyone that has a good IR control system that is built into an HA hub. IMO Vera or HS is the best bet you will have at present. Of course you can go with third party solutions or programs like EventGhost, used that one for years with HS2 and it works great but you need a HTPC to do it properly (or at least distributed IR).

Hope that helps, post back if you need more assistance or have any questions.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
CQC is certainly strong in the home theater area, and it does all the standard automation stuff as well, so no need to patch together a solution from multiple bits of software.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts