AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Ov course, if you want to do an AT (Acoustically Transparent) screen, it would be MUCH easier to place the speakers behind it. This will also move the screen towards you, giving you a bigger APPARENT screen size. @Zorba922 has pics of towers behind an AT screen.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
In the meantime what about Polk speakers? They seem to have a bunch of different levels hard to figure out which is a good balance of price vs performance.
The only one that's a really good PTP is their LSi-A series but only when on deep discounts from Adorama. At regular prices they are a rip off.

The S series is ok, but like its predecessor the RTi it suffers from mediocre center speakers so it's better to pick a proven center speaker from a different brand.

The T, R, and Monitor series are junk.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The S series is ok, but like its predecessor the RTi it suffers from mediocre center speakers so it's better to pick a proven center speaker from a different brand.
It completely baffles me why a company with the resources of Polk can't make an affordable 3-way centre speaker.
As seen with Emotiva, it's FAR from impossible. Heck, even a centre with 6.5" mids and an elevated tweeter would be better than what they already have. Same thing with Q Acoustics, but their centres are even smaller.
The Paradigm Monitor v7-series had TWO 3-way centres you could choose from, and were relatively affordable (about $300CAD for the Centre 1, the 5.25" one. The Centre 3 was around $400CAD).

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
It completely baffles me why a company with the resources of Polk can't make an affordable 3-way centre speaker.
Of course they can. They just don't want to. They want consumers to suffer with crappy dialogue for the mid and lowest tier models, then price gouge them on the top-shelf line which finally offers a 3 way center.

Paradigm does the same thing. As does Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, et al.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Of course they can. They just don't want to. They want consumers to suffer with crappy dialogue for the mid and lowest tier models, then price gouge them on the top-shelf line which finally offers a 3 way center.

Yeah, I was just ranting. You can't beat the C1+/C2+ or R263C (on sale) speakers for centre-channels for the price. The Klipsch 2.5-way centres come close and, of course, the overpriced Kef centres (if you like passive radiators instead of real drivers). Those Monoprice THX ones are intriguing too.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

So I was poking around looking at Yamaha Receivers and noticed thier speaker line.

Is there any opinion on some of these?

Yamaha NS-6490
NS-777 and NS-555

Their center isn't a three way but could one of the bookshelves be used in its place?

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
So I was poking around looking at Yamaha Receivers and noticed thier speaker line.

Is there any opinion on some of these?

Yamaha NS-6490
NS-777 and NS-555

Their center isn't a three way but could one of the bookshelves be used in its place?
Yamaha isn't known for great speakers. If you try them, make sure you have an easy return policy.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I find it odd they either make these or 12k a piece speakers...
Those are basically vanity projects or "concept" products, aimed at trade shows or to burnish the brand rep. Designed to make consumers imagine that they're getting at least some of the same assumed qualities of the top dollar products in their cheap products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Those are basically vanity projects or "concept" products, aimed at trade shows or to burnish the brand rep. Designed to make consumers imagine that they're getting at least some of the same assumed qualities of the top dollar products in their cheap products.
At this point I think I am leaning towards the emotiva. Maybe I can catch a black Friday sale. Going to be hoping for Projector and receiver at that time too. As long as I come in under the 12k (speakers, receiver, projector & screen) from the one AV person would talk to me quoted we should be happy haha. However that was for a 7.1.4 system but that did not include any labor.

I am leaning towards running towers in the 4 corners. Are 3 way towers worth it for rears? Also if I go with the JBLs for fronts and not the AT screen is there a got 3 way center I should look at to pair with it?

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Much better than the crappy review articles I have been reading.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
At this point I think I am leaning towards the emotiva. Maybe I can catch a black Friday sale. Going to be hoping for Projector and receiver at that time too. As long as I come in under the 12k (speakers, receiver, projector & screen) from the one AV person would talk to me quoted we should be happy haha. However that was for a 7.1.4 system but that did not include any labor.

I am leaning towards running towers in the 4 corners. Are 3 way towers worth it for rears? Also if I go with the JBLs for fronts and not the AT screen is there a got 3 way center I should look at to pair with it?

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Much better than the crappy review articles I have been reading.
So called "AV guys" are notorious for overcharging and/or upselling customers. The only time I would ever use their services is for installing in-ceilings or in-walls if you don't want to do it yourself. Everything else about this hobby, you can learn yourself by using google and You Tube and enthusiast forums like this.

No, I would not bother with 3 way towers for rears unless you do a lot of multi-channel MUSIC or GAMING...if you do, then it would be beneficial to have identical speakers in all positions. If your usage is mostly HT/TV then you can easily mix speaker brands/models.

If you go with JBLs up front without an AT screen, people have used Emotiva C2+ and Klipsch RP-504C with good results as the center.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So called "AV guys" are notorious for overcharging and/or upselling customers. The only time I would ever use their services is for installing in-ceilings or in-walls if you don't want to do it yourself. Everything else about this hobby, you can learn yourself by using google and You Tube and enthusiast forums like this.

No, I would not bother with 3 way towers for rears unless you do a lot of multi-channel MUSIC or GAMING...if you do, then it would be beneficial to have identical speakers in all positions. If your usage is mostly HT/TV then you can easily mix speaker brands/models.

If you go with JBLs up front without an AT screen, people have used Emotiva C2+ and Klipsch RP-504C with good results as the center.
Luckily my builder is pretty laid back and I am pretty sure he will let me run the wiring after framing or I can just have his electrician do it. He knows those people are rediculus after he buihis home and they quoted him some like 90K to do his distributed audio video in his home. He said after he got that he went im and start punching holes and running wire himself..

Question about AT screens. How do they not shake during the movie? Especially, the one you had the picture of with 2 large subs behind it.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Question about AT screens. How do they not shake during the movie? Especially, the one you had the picture of with 2 large subs behind it.
That's the purpose of a false wall, to provide a stable frame that the AT screen can be secured to.

When using dual subs, the two best locations are usually diagonally opposite corners or opposite mid-walls. The photo shows a setup where the owner probably wanted to hide the subs more than getting the best possible sound out of them.

However I've never seen anyone who owns an AT screen complain about any shaking so it doesn't seem to be an issue. (Can't offer any personal experience on this since I'm a video barbarian myself, just using the bare wall for my PJ image. :D )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's the purpose of a false wall, to provide a stable frame that the AT screen can be secured to.

When using dual subs, the two best locations are usually diagonally opposite corners or opposite mid-walls. The photo shows a setup where the owner probably wanted to hide the subs more than getting the best possible sound out of them.

However I've never seen anyone who owns an AT screen complain about any shaking so it doesn't seem to be an issue. (Can't offer any personal experience on this since I'm a video barbarian myself, just using the bare wall for my PJ image. :D )
I am/was really hoping for 100"+ TV to stop costing 1 billion dollars.... haha

that said this has me in thinking I might break out the ole credit card sooner than later

Attachments

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I am/was really hoping for 100"+ TV to stop costing 1 billion dollars.... haha

that said this has me in thinking I might break out the ole credit card sooner than later
The Infinity are good. But for the center, wait for the RC263 to get back in stock and on sale, probably by Black Friday.

Or, get a center from a different brand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The Infinity are good. But for the center, wait for the RC263 to get back in stock and on sale, probably by Black Friday.

Or, get a center from a different brand.
That was my thinking.

the only thing I was unsure with was the surrounds. Would those work for corner placement or look at bookshelves?

16x16 room as a reminder.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
That was my thinking.

the only thing I was unsure with was the surrounds. Would those work for corner placement or look at bookshelves?

16x16 room as a reminder.
If you plan to do Atmos later, stick to monopoles. The Infinity R152 are on sale for something ridiculous, I think. I'd grab those for surrounds.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts