AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question - bought this TV at home depot in February 07 - comes with a 2 year warranty. We've had some warranty work done before on this tv in Burnaby, BC but that place has since gone out of business. Home Depot gave us a name of another business in Richmond BC that does warranty work but we called them and they said that they don't do warranty work on Hyundais - never have and never will. The manager at home depot said he'd get back to us regarding the big red line running down the middle of our screen constantly! Who is now responsible for this warranty - is Home Depot responsible - I've only got 28 days left on the 2 year warranty! A: what is this red stripe and B: will I get my $1100 back? Please help me! Thanks so much.

Nancy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the warranty covered by the manufacturer (Hyundai) or a 3rd party (HD)? Regardless, you should have documentation that details the procedure on "how to obtain warranty service." Also, the warranty will state whether it's carry-in or at-home type coverage. If it's the former & there are no authorized service centers near you, then you will likely have to foot the bill to ship the TV there & back. Given the track record of repair work, you might be better off buying a new set - for less than half what you paid for this one. YMMV.

Good luck!

EDIT: In any event, you should get written proof of reporting the problem while still in the warranty period. I hope you don't have a "disappearing ink" HD receipt

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Never thought of Costco as a "home theater store" either.

But that wouldn't stop me from buying a display there. (Maybe while I'm in there to pick up some flooring too.)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My ptv421 crapped out on Friday, 4 weeks after the warranty ran out lol!!!

In any event, probably no one would honor it anyway. It was so cheap when I bought it (CDN$800 with TAX), I figure I lost less than the depreciation on the LG model it was a clone of at the time (CDN$2500).

I bought a nice Panasonic TH-50PZ80 as a replacement on saturday.

I believe the problem with my ptv421 is the the YSUS board. It turns out that a shed load of LG's from 2 years ago have the same problem. Board goes bad at aroud the 2 year mark.

This time I will buy an extended warranty direct from Panasonic, screw BB.

If I do fix the Hyundai I'll post here.

·
Banned
11,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP /forum/post/15946995

This time I will buy an extended warranty direct from Panasonic, screw BB.

Can I ask you why you'd personally avoid BB for the extended warranty? I'm only curious about your rationale just for informational purposes.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your situation. However, my understanding that your warranty is not an in-home service warranty. What will happen is that once you get in contact with Hyundai you will have to ship the display to their repair facility. That is a disadvantage of going with a low tier brand. Price is great, but service is lacking.

Chris

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

YONEXSP I believe the problem with my ptv421 is the the YSUS board. It turns out that a shed load of LG's from 2 years ago have the same problem. Board goes bad at aroud the 2 year mark.[/QUOTE said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can you say 'planned obsolescence'?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts