AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if properly calibrated FPs from JVC, Dwin, Seleco, Sony, etc will be on display at this show and at whose booth? I am particularly interested in seeing the DILA in action? Does anyone living in the NY/NJ/PA area have one (or know of a dealer with one) and would be willing to let me take a look?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone go to this?

Let's list the exhibits that have projectors and how good they look.

I was there briefly and saw:

- Sony VPL-VW10HT in Murray Hill Suites (2nd fl)

- Dream Vision? in Gramercy B (2nd fl)

The seminar room has 2 projectors, I think one was a D-ILA.

I'm going back, so I'll fill in the gaps.

Its mostly audio, though. The place is confusing. That's why it'd be nice if people posted good rooms to see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree the show is confusing and its spread over many floors from the 2nd to the 42nd and the elevators are a nightmare. There is very little in the way of projectors.

The Sony 10 was right inside the entrance to their display room. I thought the picture looked great, even with considerable ambient light. They have a DVD playing component through the internal scaler (I asked if it was being externally scaled and was assured it was not) and also HD. There was a display card right beside the projector with specs for the 11. Very confusing - when I first walked in I thought 'wow they have this to show already!?!?' but no, they are demoing a 10 and plugging the 11, saying it will retail about 8k and the 10 will drop to 6.5k. They have a dedicated room for a full product demo. I was there at 12:30pm and could only get tickets for their 4:30pm show, and I could not stay that long. If anyone knows what's on show in there I'd love to know because I was bummed I missed it.

Vidikron have a demo on the 42nd floor with a CRT (sorry I didn't get the model number, you are in and out pretty quick) which begins with an HBO HD trailer showing clips of mostly MIB and some Fifth Element. Some parts looked good, but some of the source material was not so good and looked grainy and pixilated lines that were not sharp. Then they showed a hilarious clip of Jackie Chan kicking some major a**, from DVD through a Snell and Willcox scaler to 1024P.

I'm sure others that go can give a more thorough ( and technical) review. I didn't have much time and to be honest when I realized the lack of front projection exhibits I lost interest a bit. I have really only seen two Home Theatre set ups, one of which is my own, and I was hoping I could see a lot of projectors to finally see what all the discussions on this forum are about, and to set some kind of benchmark for myself.

But if your interested in audio, this show was ALL about home theatre set-ups.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

I am curious about the new SIM HT200DM, is it shown at the fair? Also it would be interesting if Davis show its new Davis Cinema Ten Pro.

Also some Styrian friends of me are displaying at the Acoustic Dreams room: the new and fantastic Lumen White Whitelight speakers... .

Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Okay, I strolled through before it closed for the day.

Here's what I remember:

- G15 in Seminar room (during the PC cinema, even though the handouts say G11) -This thing looked awesome

- Davis cinema 10 pro at room 911

- Seleco HT250 at room ? (9th fl)

- Dream vision at room 952

- DWIN at room 941

First, I should comment that I have no projector and just started looking at them.

The Sony 10HT was nice, but didnt blow me away.

The Outlaw room had the DWIN projector. It was all still pics since they were demoing the dvd-audio, but I thought it looked pretty good.

The Davis was very nice. They kept stating that it was a non-progressive dvd source through s-video. I thought it was upscaled nicely. They played matrix and gladiator.

The Seleco was the only projector that I saw the rainbow effect. My first time and quite disconcerting.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Walter,

The HT200DM can be seen at the Italian Trade Commission on Park and 59th. There's a SIM2 stretch limousine to take you there and it's definitely worth the ride and hour of your time. I saw all of the above digital units, and the 200DM was by far the best and most CRT-like with zero, I mean zero, rainbow effect. They have a brand new internal scaler in the thing, too, and it actually looked better via S video than via a progressive component feed (that may simply reflect the quality of the DVD player's deinterlacing though -- it looked to be a fairly low cost, previous generation player).

Most importantly, to me, there was also no green fog, which is the bane of every single digital projector mentioned above. I also thought this new DM was much quieter than previous HT200s. The DM also sports new grey and silver livery which is nicer yet than the blue and silver attire of the HT200.

It still had the occasionally recalcitrant remote and GUI.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with PF that the Seleco 200DM looked great...but the internal scaler, I felt, had some problems. We watched a clip of a movie I think was called, "My Dog Skip". We were admiring the reds during a baseball scene where the kids had red and white uniforms. This was also being shown through the 250 at the regular show. We saw great reds...but then we also noticed some blue ringing around the kids' hats. It wasn't very subtle either. When we asked to switch it over to the Sony 9000ES progressive processing, the blue ringing disappeared.

I also admired the Vidikron FP there. It was expertly set up by Michael Levy. It is set up very awkwardly where it sits in the middle of the room. It is very easily moved and thrown out of position. It is the nature of such a temporary setup though.

------------------
My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection My LD Collection

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm a little confused by Michael's post. I own the 9000ES and know what it looks like and it wasn't part of the HT200DM demo. If there was blue ringing, I missed it, unfortunately.

To me, the progressive player into the 200DM looked darker, more "contrasty," and more film-like, if you know what I mean. But the interlaced feed as scaled by the HT200DM's scaler definitely was crisper and obviously had more detail. The price of that crispness was that the picture looked very slightly washed out, but the SIM2 reps assured us that was just a matter of reconfiguring the settings (which are retained in the projector's memory) for that s-video input to get the "richer" look that the progressive input had.

By the way, the demo is being done with a gray DaLite screen, that apparently is just slightly darker than the Stewart Gray Hawk.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, I am sure it was a Sony player...the menus confirmed that. I didn't actually see the player myself, but I was told it was the 9000ES and my installer, who is very familiar with the piece, was working with the remote to change some of the settings of the DVD player. Incidentally, I believe the 9000ES was not on the conference table, but it was lying on something under it (directly under the HT200DM).

------------------
My Home Theater Pics My Equipment List My DVD Collection My LD Collection

·
Registered
66 Posts
The show overall is the most poorly thought out event I have ever seen. Its almost impossible to get an elevator to get the floors and the exhibit rooms are just regular hotel rooms (without the beds)- and crowds of people. They then put some of the exhibits on the 42nd floor and others on the 9 and 10th floor- why? Only 3 elevators to take you up and security people were yelling about the elevators getting stuck with too many people. Not much in projectors but I thought the new Davis CinemaTen Pro looked really good- supposedly out in July- sharp picture even 3 feet to the screen. Looked much better than the Seleco 250 which I thought showed sort of a washed out picture. Sony had no fp on display when I was there- new Sony I was told will not be any brighter- better optics- better dust protection. Has anyone else seen the Davis?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So what do you have to pay for? I was under the impression that the admission fee was for some big exhibit hall somewhere, but the private suites by the various companies would be free.

Do you somehow have to pay or show a pass to get on to the floors with the projectors? Can you see them for free? I'd hate to think I have to pay to see a sales pitch...

Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So the hotel floors *are* the exhibit hall? That's pretty bizarre.

How can they charge you to go to a certain floor in a hotel? Is the entire floor closed off for the show?

If I pay to go to a show, I want to be able to walk around and see everything. The way this is described, it does *not* sound like it's worth the price of admission, if there is a price...

Mike

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, being a CRT owner and new to digital, I took my spouse with me on an HE in order to convince her to buy new projector (digital this time) for a living room. And truth be told my local dealers have better setups. There was nothing in a DLP word (a route I am planning to go) which could blow me or her away. Davis 10 was nice, DEAD quiet (she liked it) and no light leaks at all but picture (Mummy) was flat and nothing like film-like image one would expect from 11K machine.

But I would disagree that show was a waste. Were else you will see full reference MBL setup in all its glory? After demo I had an uncontrollable desire to sell all my gear, wife's jewelry, cars, get 5 new credit cards and 2 second mortgages, and use all my 401K money to buy this stuff.

Only 2 gins, 2 glasses of wine and great Keb' Mo's concert were able to restore my sanity...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The new SIM2 HT200 DM ("Dual Mode," i.e, dual mode TI chip: 16:9 or 4:3 selectable), was by far the best DLP, even better than SIM2s own HT250, in my opinion. The problem with the 250 was that while some parts of the HD demo loop like the football sequence were superb with that looking-through-a-window, direct-view-TV-like-look that only the best HD projection devices can give you, other parts of the Sencore based loop were surprisingly murky and undetailed for HD. Also, the rainbow effect was a significant problem occasionally.

On the HT200DM, in contrast, I could detect no rainbows no matter how hard I tried, supposedly because the 200DM has no clear section in its color wheel according to the SIM2 reps. It's a great machine if most of your watching is DVDs, the best consumer digital projector I've ever seen. All SIM2 has to do now, is refine the operation of the menus and the remote to eliminate the balking and momentary remote control hang ups that occasionally occur. SIM2's model in this respect should be the Sony VW10HT, which is absolutely seamless in its operation. Other than that, SIM2 has really gotten close to CRT quality when the HT200DM is paired with a gray screen.

The next best DLP, after the SIM2 units, was the prototype Davis, but the green fog and the flatness of the image was unacceptable. Still, it's only a prototype, so I'm sure Davis will get it pretty much right before it's released. By the way, as tricky looking as it is in the photos we've seen on the web, it's not quite as swoopy and perfect looking in real life. Don't get me wrong, it's still esthetically pleasing, but no more so that the SIM2 units, in my judgement.

The worst DLP was the Dwin, believe it or not. Green fog everywhere, noise in the picture -- it looked like LCD digital projection from three years ago. I'm sure it was just a set up issue as the Dwin has been well-received by those AVS members who've bought the Transvision and who know how to set it up.

All the LCDs looked poor -- the VW10HT, the prototype Sharp, etc.

The biggest disappointment for me, though, was the Faroudja DVP5000/Sony G90 demo. Sure the picture was as good as it could be, but that's damning with faint praise indeed when the choice of video clips is two cartoons ( Dinosaur, and the hoary Toy Story, both of which looked "digital" and even washed out as modern computer animated cartoons often do), and the very grainy, greenish looking DVD, Fight Club. Why bother with state of the art equipment like the G90 and the DVP5000, if these distinctly sub-optimal video clips are what you're going to demo? Very strange.

The most unexpected pleasant surprise for me was the $16K Runco plasma. What a picture! What blacks! These guys have got plasma down. Too bad, it's so expensive. The next best looking plasmas were the Pioneer 50 inch and the Sony 42 inch.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 05-13-2001).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, did Plus show their "Piano" projector? It's supposed to have the same 848x600 DLP chip that's in the SIM2 HT200DM, with a modified color wheel to boot. The HT200DM is about US$6300k in Europe, with a higher price expected stateside. Any word on Piano pricing?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was not impressed with the Sim 2 at all, I thought it washed out and on the drug store scene in My Dog Skip the surface on the cabinet behind the druggist had terrible crawlies. On the other hand I thought that the davis Looked and sounded great for a DLP. Did any else get to hear the Tall Pipe Dreams in 949. Whoa! Baby sell the wife, the kids, and the DC-1 it was almost enough to go back to 2 channel.

Brent Mccall

Tsunami HT

(800) 221-0932 #230

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I also thought that the rainbow from the HT250 was *really* bad. I only saw it from the DVD source, not the HDTV, but whenever I blinked, I saw flashes. Now I'm someone that owns a DLP (Davis 650 clone), so I can't be hyper-sensitive to it, but all I know is that after watching it for about 10 or 15 minutes, I felt nauseous for a couple of hours. (I felt similarly after watching a Runco DLP a few months earlier.)

Of course, my wife watched it too, and she thought it looked fine. I didn't want to point anything out, I was afraid we'd start seeing it at home!

Mike

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 05-14-2001).]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.