Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Jason Statham, James Franco, Kate Bosworth, Winona Ryder, Rachelle Lefevre, Frank Grillo, Clancy Brown, Izabela Vidovic
Directed by: Gary Fleder
Music by: Mark Isham
Written by: Sylvester Stallone
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 11, 2014
"How far would you go to protect your home?"

Film Synopsis:

Homefront tells the story of an ex-DEA agent who retires to a small town for the sake of his 10-year-old daughter. The only problem is he picked the wrong town.

My Take:

Jason Statham stars as widowed ex-DEA agent Phil Broker, who after a violent undercover operation that leaves one target dead and one in prison decides to retire to a quiet Louisiana town with his 10-year-old daughter, only to discover that the idyllic setting is riddled with drugs and violence. As the new guy in town Phil finds himself embroiled in a minor feud with a local woman after his daughter Maddy defends herself against her bullying son on the playground. Things quickly escalate leaving Phil and Maddy the target of backwoods justice at the hands of the woman’s psychotic drug lord brother who goes by the name of Gator Bodine (James Franco). Unbeknownst to Phil is that the unfolding events will connect him to his past leaving him little choice but to retaliate in the only way he knows how.

Penned by Sylvester Stallone Homefront is about as run of the mill as it gets in terms of narrative. The sort of fish out of water, western style standoff storyline suffers from a reliance on shallow characters, one too many eye brow raising coincidences and telegraphed plot twists. The action is what you’d expect and is certainly fun to watch especially in the very capable hands of Jason Statham whose charisma and physical abilities are expected to carry the film and do. It all gets a little silly but at the end of the day as a fan of both the genre and Jason Statham I couldn’t help but find myself enjoying the film despite the aforementioned shortcomings. Homefront clearly isn’t intended to be anything more than a bit of light popcorn entertainment and seen in that light it’s got something to offer.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, pervasive language, drug content and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Homefront comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is a solid video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, bold use of contrast, natural colors and excellent dimension. Blacks are punchy with good dynamic range and discernible gradational highlights. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are snappy, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. Any softening is innate and strictly limited to the film’s visual style.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The music, coupled with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in the surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scenes – 8 minutes

• (HD) Standoff – 2 minute production featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Penned by Sylvester Stallone Homefront brings nothing original to the genre table but manages to make for a decent popcorn flick thanks to the charisma and butt kicking chops of star Jason Statham. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video and sound coupled with a barebones supplemental offering. Home front qualifies as a rental on movie night when you’re hankering for a little mindless entertainment.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal )

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System

Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1519731/home-front-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_24406381

Looks like Netflix is ignoring this release?

I added it to my Q a few months back and I just checked and it's still there.

It says it's to be released in April.

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Homefront/70281529?trkid=226872

Thanks for the review Ralph! I was a bit worried about this one and had high hopes for it, but it did get some bad reviews. But as usual you've put my mind at ease. I will go into this confidently thanks to you once again!

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
I will rent this but that's all. Thanks Ralph

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,225 Posts

I just watched it and really enjoyed the movie. Old-school action, for sure.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1519731/home-front-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review/0_20#post_24419748

I just watched it and really enjoyed the movie. Old-school action, for sure.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Mark.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Watched it last night actually enjoyed it. Might pick it up on the cheap.

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I saw this on Netflix none the worse for wear. While entertaining, it gave me an appreciation for Road House, a re-watchable tale from the mid 80’s having to do in part with southern ruffians and overwhelming odds. I curiously watched how James Franco, the actor, would pull off bad-ass. Clearly without the menace satisfying portrayed by Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast. Mid-story kick-assery I felt was riveting; creative drubbing in close-quarters. But I felt that high bar of action at mid-story should have been bested toward the movie’s conclusion.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw this on Netflix none the worse for wear. While entertaining, it gave me an appreciation for Road House, a re-watchable tale from the mid 80’s having to do in part with southern ruffians and overwhelming odds. I curiously watched how James Franco, the actor, would pull off bad-ass. Clearly without the menace satisfying portrayed by Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast. Mid-story kick-assery I felt was riveting; creative drubbing in close-quarters. But I felt that high bar of action at mid-story should have been bested toward the movie’s conclusion.
Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts FieldingMelish. It's always worthwhile reading.. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Watched it last night actually enjoyed it. Might pick it up on the cheap.
One of my first "black Friday' sale arrivals. Blind buy, and delightful surprise. Actually got this along with HERCULES (among others), and savored this more.

To be sure, Stallone has not plowed a virgin field here with his penning of this outsider-confronted-with-mindless-hostility set piece (nor was that expected), but this exercise might easily have been perfunctory, by-the-numbers mediocrity. Instead, it is by-the-numbers as elevated through the talented care and attention of participants focused on not letting familiarity of material tempt insouciance in production.

Acting was first rate. Statham, not renown for emotive striation, is still always reliably convincing as tough guy -- here, one whose perspective on single father tenderness is tempered by overexposure to the repugnant realities of an undercover past. I thought Franco was marvelous here. You stop short of proclaiming revelation, possibly because the type is so treadworn, but I've seen him in all kinds of things, more and less convincing, never better than here. He's not an obvious match to the nasty-intentioned small pond tough he plays here, but I found myself deliciously engrossed in his choices and ultimately unassailable raw presence.

Kate Bosworth does the coin flip on her role in 2011's STRAW DOGS -- the victim there in a (not coincidentally) very parallel tale, but now in HOMEFRONT, the pathetic yipping cur that whips her big dog acolytes into frothy unprovoked frenzy. Yes, over the top by some shades, but sadly not egregiously misaligned with certain recognizable types you encounter. With her tending-toward skeletal frame, and barrage of bitterly hostile instigations, I was convinced of little girl dreams chokingly swallowed up by a relentless barrenness of opportunity in Podunk USA, and a lifetime of selling-short compromises that succumbed inevitably to self medication.

Now I probably wouldn't be motivated to comment, but for the fact that the soundtrack is terrific. There are just those tracks that open up onto a realistic panorama of accurate sounds and clean recording that are instantly pleasing. This was one of those. A dog barking had my dog fooled -- rarely the case, but just an idea how right this immersively accurate sound field was. Not every track has to be perpetual assaultive bombast, but if care is taken, I start to smile.

And Ralph, I think you might have underplayed the bass involved here -- very pleasing to me. In fact, the gas station scene had some sustained sine waves that allowed me to hear the mechanical action of my subs (and provoked me to rise up and check the movement in replay) -- not on the scale of the wickedly intense EDGE OF TOMORROW opening salvo, but again, just a sweet goose from a movie I didn't have such high hopes for.

I don't know, after HERCULES I'm like, meh, whatever -- but here you can see I just had alot of good things I felt inspired to express, not the least of which might be that a discount buy-in can act to favorably dispose one toward discovery of unanticipated quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts