AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,


I have a couple of things to throw at you guys. I am about to move into a new home complete with cat6 in every room. A big luxury to me. I also can finally get DSL at this location (go ahead laugh it up
). We have chosen to live out of the city until now and found this place. Anyways, I have a Cisco Aironet 1240AG access point already, salvaged from work. I want to go gigabit on the copper side and plan to have the DSL do DHCP, DNS, etc.


What are your thoughts on this AP and what consumer switches would pair up nicely? I finally get a chance to really do some cool stuff like Netflix streaming and even this new fangled multiplayer gaming stuff and at the same time I want to keep the quality as high as possible for HD streaming etc. Is N even neccesary? Will G do? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
With DSL, you'll never approach anything near Gigabit speeds from your provider to your house - so it really doesn't matter so much what your in-house infrastructure looks like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18279945


doesn't matter so much what your in-house infrastructure looks like.

Uh yeah. I have to disagree with that. Infrastructure always matters.


DSL will be very suitable in my case, 2 PCs, PS3/360, mobile phones. The vast majority will be web surfing, followed by Netflix/PS3/360 related things, followed then by my own internal stuff like TVersity for music etc. You simply don't need a 10 up 10 down for getting your ass handed to you on PSN. There are loads of internal things you can do with a robust internal LAN. Security comes to mind, smart home etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18279945


With DSL, you'll never approach anything near Gigabit speeds from your provider to your house - so it really doesn't matter so much what your in-house infrastructure looks like.
http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi




But, use the gigabit internal network for your internal streaming. It's necessary IMO for streaming HD content. Even N doesn't cut it for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Would you even need an Access Point if you have a router with an AP built in (which are pretty reasonable)?


How big is this house?


I have a 2856 sq ft, 2-floor house, and the only room I don't have a good wireless signal is in my den, which is on the other side of the house and down a level from my enclosure.


I use a DLink DIR-655 and am pretty happy with it.


I wish I could have 1000baseT through out my house, but the house wasn't designed particularly well. I only have the option of a phone line or a network port...and I would have to setup the network port on my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
N isn't always enough, wired is always more reliable and faster. And since you already have it wired to each room you might as well take advantage of it.


As far as hardware recommendations I don't think there is alot of difference between gigabit switches nowdays, in early years there were quite a few lemons around, so just make sure you get a more recent switch. Your Cisco, well use it for now, Ciscos are always reliable, far more than consumer level equipment. and G is fast enough for everything else. Unless you really need HD streaming to laptops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Routers, switches, NIC cards, and cable modems get noticeably faster every couple years...


If you are using old equipment, think about upgrading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff /forum/post/18281851


N isn't always enough, wired is always more reliable and faster. And since you already have it wired to each room you might as well take advantage of it.

AGREED. I dont care what people say, WIRED will always be the better/reliable connection over wireless. Your cisco AP is better than the consumer models. If you only have wireless devices that need to go on the web, youtube or stream SD - a G is stable enough (with enough coverage). N is still in its early age.


And wired is always a better way of transfering large files over distances. Why do you think business still connect all their (most) computers by wires?


Dont waste your money on N routers. Waste it (if you must) on a good router/switches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/18280096


Uh yeah. I have to disagree with that. Infrastructure always matters.


DSL will be very suitable in my case, 2 PCs, PS3/360, mobile phones. The vast majority will be web surfing, followed by Netflix/PS3/360 related things, followed then by my own internal stuff like TVersity for music etc. You simply don't need a 10 up 10 down for getting your ass handed to you on PSN. There are loads of internal things you can do with a robust internal LAN. Security comes to mind, smart home etc.

I was just thinking from a overall throughput perspective. I never had good experiences with dsl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18283692


I was just thinking from a overall throughput perspective. I never had good experiences with dsl.

But see, dial up or cellular have been my only means to access the web for like ever. Even that mid tier 3 meg DSL would be the bomb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18281107


Would you even need an Access Point if you have a router with an AP built in (which are pretty reasonable)?

Well I've seen the range on the built in wifi with the DSL routers like Netopia and this Cisco AP kills it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Eh, unless you have a gateway router, I wouldn't want my modem being the wifi source.


I always keep my modem and router separate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/18284611


But see, dial up or cellular have been my only means to access the web for like ever. Even that mid tier 3 meg DSL would be the bomb.

That's amazing to me. I've always had a cable modem, and recently been on FIOS 20 down 5 up. I guess I'm spoiled rotten.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy /forum/post/18285309


That's amazing to me. I've always had a cable modem, and recently been on FIOS 20 down 5 up. I guess I'm spoiled rotten.

We've just chosen to live out of town. Now we are moving to a development that is still out of town but has DSL and possibly cable very soon. The wife could care less but I am stoked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/18285042


Eh, unless you have a gateway router, I wouldn't want my modem being the wifi source.


I always keep my modem and router separate.

Indeed.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top