AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home made PC remote, IR remote.

590 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  pcold 
#1 ·
Anyone have a link to a place that will allow me to make a IR remote that can control mouse movement? and buttons? also have short cuts to open winamp etc? I would really like to be able to use my RCA System link 5AV remote, or my DVD player remote.

Acually if you have a good place to buy one send along that url too http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks for any help.

------------------

Visit my page.
www.geocities.com/a1rabbit2/theater/

[This message has been edited by a1rabbit (edited 05-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by a1rabbit (edited 05-17-2001).]

#2 ·
I am not sure I understand the question...

There are a few flavors of mouse remotes (trackballs, touchpads, dish cursor, gyropoint) out in the market that can be interfaced with a HTPC...

If you are trying to capture commands from existing remotes they would need to have some kind of mouse support built in... You can always capture IR codes and use for arrow keys with Girder but this is only good for menu items I dont think it translates to the application / desktop control level...

------------------

PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

#3 ·
It will do up/down/left/right with a step size. Button clicks too. I have a presentation type mouse thing that has a 4-way "hat" that I've assigned to the mouse directions. With a small enough step size, it works quite well. With a bit more Girder programming, I could put in acceleration too.

Oh well. It works for me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

#4 ·
Well, My friend has an old NEC, Pentium 166, And it came with a remote to control the Mouse, Volume, Open programs Etc, But even though he has NEVER used it, he is not willing to part with it, I acually went over to his house, picked up the remote and BLEW dust off, like you see in movies with old books, lol. anyhoo, somthing like that.

And if I make my own then I would liek to use one of my existing Controlers. thanks.

------------------

Visit my page.
www.geocities.com/a1rabbit2/theater/

#6 ·
I have not played with this side of girder at all (I have just brought a Pronto and am getting a Phillips Rx for Pronto mouse emulation) but can it do more than left / right / up / down....

I will have a look this weekend as I had thought it was mouse positional (x,y) only but even if it does have the directions would four way control feel limited for you ??

Personally the limited cost of a good remote / mouse is only a small part for these setups... a while ago after first finding Girder I went to great levels to control all my programs and organize launchers but now I have made the Talisman GUI's I need a mouse again http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif !!!

------------------

PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com

#7 ·
Girder will also allow diagonal mouse moves (up&left, up&right, down&left, down&right). I use a step size of 8 pixels which used in conjuction with an 8 "button" directional pad on my Pronto, works reasonably well. Not that it will ever replace a real mouse, but it's pretty handy if I need to do something quickly in Windows and don't want to pull out the Airboard.

Regards -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

#9 ·
Yes I can get the coveted Rx units...

I can also get the Keyboard + Rx's if wanted to replace the airboard that way you have keyboard & mouse, Pronto with mouse emulation, Rx's for both without using a serial port (keep it free for IRMan)...

I will make another post tonight (this is on dialup per minute $$) later at home I have some time but basically I need another 10 buyers to get the Rx's (they will only sell the whole bundle) but keyboard + Rx's are available in singles...

------------------

PhatPhreddy@Bigfoot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.