AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in another post I ordered the Sharp DT-510 DLP to replace my Sharp PG-A10X LCD projector.

I've already built the new 16:9 screen out of wood and a $15 bedsheet from sears (same thing my old screen was made of which I used for 5 years) but while building it accidentally got some of the black paint from the frame on the bedsheet. So I decided to use a paintbrush and white matte paint to paint the stretched bedsheet on the frame in white. Now that it's dark I turned on the projector and am amazed at how much brighter and more vibrant the image is.

I had always noticed with the bedsheet I used for 5 years I'd get a 2nd faint projection againt the wall as some of the light went right through it. Now that I'm using a painted bedsheet non of the light gets through onto the wall which explains the added brightness.

The image is almost too bright now, but this will certainly help with the DT-510 which is 1000 lumens VS. my current projector which is 1300 lumens.

I'm so glad I accidentally got black paint on my screen!

I was thinking I'd get proper screen material for once, but seeing the result of my painted bedsheet makes me think I'll stick with this, what do you think? Does "proper" screen material make a big difference? Then again, I thought my unpaitned bedsheet I used for 5 years was great and just now saw what I was missing all along.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a noob and so obviously no expert but I'd recommend you get some screen material samples and see what if anything you are missing. I started with 1.00 gain, moved to 1.3 gain, and finalized at 1.6 gain, and it really helps to hold picture with ambient light (I live in florida, no damn basement) and the picture juts pops at night (HD65 on 2.0 to 1 homemade screen) . With cost under $80 for screen material, why use painted bedsheet?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
There is plenty of good information in the DIY screen forum. Cheap painted screens can perform very well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
you could also try the cheap blackout white material sold at fabric stores, Its only 4-5 bucks a yard and is very similar to my regular store bought screen. I made a screen out of it and it looks the same as the regular screen.

I used a bedsheet once when I first got my pj and it looked pretty aweful, but a painted one would'nt look to bad, much like a white painted canvas for painters.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My unpainted bed sheet I used for 5 years with my current projector looked very good. Painted mostly just made the image even brighter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts