·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Please help! Is this a correct way for Home Media Sever

Case

NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case - Retail

Desktop Memory 2 x 8

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

OS

Windows Vista 64-bit

CPU x 2

Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80574E5410A - Retail

Server Motherboards

ASUS DSBF-DE Dual LGA 771 Intel 5000P MCH SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon Server Motherboard - Retail

HBA x 2

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card - Retail

DVD

Sony Optiarc Black

PSU

Athena Power AP-P4ATXK110FEP 20+4Pin 1100W Single EPS-12V Server Power Supply

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you need 8 gigs of ram? If not Windows Home Server is really nice. I like how stable it is and it adds quite a bit to a network. Only problem is it is only in 32 bit rather than 64 and the limitations that provides but I know I woudlnt trust Vista to run a media server that I was high uptime on.

Also for a media server having dual xeon cpu's is wayyy over kill. You wont have more than 5 or 6 clients connecting to it and you wont tax one cpu much less two. Just get a single retail cpu with a server type motherboard (check the thread below about media servers to see good ones) and save yourself a few hundred. Use that few hundred to buy Technet which will give you access to all MS's products including W7 RTM with unexpiring keys.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree... way way way way way overkill.

You need 3 machines in my opinion

1. Server - Stream media / Storage Server

Low end dual core CPU, 2 GB of ram. Spend your money on your case, drive controller and hard drives.

2. HTPC - To Play Movies on Panel

Medium dual core CPU (E5200 or E7300 Core 2 Duo), 2 GB of ram. Spend your money on a good Motherboard w/onboard video/audio OR on ATI 4xxx video card and nice HTPC case.

3. Work horse machine - re-encode/transcode/remuxing machine

Quad Core (do not need a xeon stick with Core 2 Quad or i7 they are more standard), 4gb or 6GB of ram. Spend your money on CPU, MB and case. Get a decent video card if you play games.

I built all 3 for under 2k.. and love my setup (and I am also a gamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago /forum/post/16976402

All of that is overkill for a home media server IMO.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If all you want is to store media on hard drives and share that media out, that's way too much server.

BUT, if you want that same system to do things like run Transcode 360 or re-encode hi-def video, then I think you've got a good but pricey system picked out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your responds, I want to store media on hard drives and share that media out in my home network 20TB and I will made another 1 and connected to gather

If you see the IMO I write

What is yours suggestions you med for these server

Windows Vista 64-bit

Case:

NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case - Retail

Memory: ?

CPU: ?

Motherboards: ?

HBA: ?

PSU: ?

Thank you

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do you have a need for 20 TB right now?

What are you needs now?

Its always cheaper to add space as needed, rather than buying all upfront, but at the same time it is easier to just build it in one shot and be done.

I know I went to a server after my Nas was full and before 2TB drives were available. I now run 8 1Tb but only need about 4TB , so maybe get only a few drives more than you need.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You might want to consider this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182142

You can run 2 of the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards, 1 at PCI-X 133Mhz and the other at PCI-X 100Mhz. The drive access would be fast.

Alternatively, consider this card;

http://www.supermicro.com/products/a...-SASLP-MV8.cfm

Buy a motherboard with 2 x PCIe x4 or a PCIe x 4 and a PCIe x16. Norco has a new case with SAS connections so it would be a straight through cable instead of using indivual SATA cables.

As for the rest, use a low power CPU and 4gig of memory. I personally would use unRAID if the purpose of this server is to only serve media files. It's the simplest server OS you can get for this purpose. Boot off a flash drive and go, no OS install and easy to maintain. The second option above is not unRAID friendly.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts