AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Verizon FIOS installer setup a network for me (sort of) to stream A/V to my xbox 360.

Here's what I have in my office:

Connects to the WAN port on my FIOS router

Connects to a LAN port on my FIOS router

In my living room I plug my xbox directly into the ethernet port there, and it gets an ip directly from my FIOS router.

So I want to move my router to the living room, connect it directly to the xbox and have my computer in my office plug into the wall (basically just swap the two rooms setups).

I switched the wiring in the living room, but the router doesn't get anything on the WAN port.

Obviously I'm missing something.

Ideas?

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Yep, you're missing the "WAN" connetion... The pair(s) on the jack on the WAN side are connected to the FIOS service. You'd need that connection in your living room.

FIOS service -> Router -> Ethernet devices (PC/Xbox)

Out of curiousity, why are you trying to swap this around? Do you need more Ethernet ports in the living room? Right way to fix that is with a ~$20 5-port switch.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We moved into this house in Jan '09. The FIOS was setup in the office but the coax and the ethernet are on different walls with a closet in between them. So I've got this coax running across the room. I know I could run it under the carpet. For a cleaner setup I was trying to move the router to the living room where the ethernet and coax are right next to each other, and have just one cable coming out of the wall to my computer (like I do now for the xbox 360).

I've setup several networks with routers and switches, and cut and ran many CAT 5 cables at work. But that stuff is easy. The Verizon guy came in and setup it up in minutes.

However, I cant seem to grasp this. I cant picture how it's wired, and I'm not sure where the Cat5 cables terminate. Also, my phone runs on the same Cat5 (White/Blue, Blue/White), but in my office he used all 4 twisted pairs as ethernet. In the living room, he used 2 pairs for the ethernet and 1 pair (White/Blue, Blue/White) for the phone. So am I correct in assuming that the Cat5 cable in my office terminates near my Verizon setup outside (basically they have WAN running only on one cable)? I assumed it ran on all Cat5, and I could just wire the living room the same as the office (I was wrong).

I don't get it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
It should all run on cat5 - is there a coax connection on your FIOS router??? More importantly, is it connected?

And yes, generally, they'd run one WAN link from your router location to the demarc box outside. Voice is run separately, although if there isn't enough wire they may have split the cable pairs.

I don't see in the images where there are all 4 pairs used for one Ethernet connection. It looks like 2 pairs each to two jacks. Is that the same cable coming out of the wall?

10/100 Ethernet only needs 2 pairs. 1Gbit needs 4 pairs. So it's not uncommon (not really recommended, but when you've got one cable...) to see the other 2 pairs in a cat5 cable re-purposed for something else (phone, even another Ethernet connection).

If you don't know where the wires run, it's hard for us to help. Tone out the wires or otherwise identify them - are they all home run? Is there a wiring panel elsewhere? What's headed to the Verizon box outside, etc...

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should all run on cat5 - is there a coax connection on your FIOS router??? More importantly, is it connected?
Yes, and yes. Both places report the coax ok.

And yes, generally, they'd run one WAN link from your router location to the demarc box outside. Voice is run separately, although if there isn't enough wire they may have split the cable pairs. I have CAT5 run throughout the house, installed when the house was built.

I don't see in the images where there are all 4 pairs used for one Ethernet connection. It looks like 2 pairs each to two jacks. Is that the same cable coming out of the wall? I misspoke. He used all four pairs for 2 ethernet connections. One is the WAN, the other is basically the LAN. One comes out of the wall to the WAN port on the router. The other comes out of the LAN port of the router to the wall (This port is how I get internet to my xbox in the living room). So the two pictures above come from the same cable in my office.

10/100 Ethernet only needs 2 pairs. 1Gbit needs 4 pairs. So it's not uncommon (not really recommended, but when you've got one cable...) to see the other 2 pairs in a cat5 cable re-purposed for something else (phone, even another Ethernet connection). Thats sort of what confused me. In my office he used 4 twisted pairs for 2 ethernet connections. In the living room, he used 2 pairs for one ethernet, and 1 pair for the phone.

If you don't know where the wires run, it's hard for us to help. Tone out the wires or otherwise identify them - are they all home run? Is there a wiring panel elsewhere? What's headed to the Verizon box outside, etc... I'll get busy figuring out where the wires terminate.

Thanks for your help.

J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.