Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for a home projector.

Thought LP350(1300 lumens/$4000) was a good choice ,but on this forum seems I can probably find a better suggestion.

Response will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Can you give a little more info? What is important to you? Do you know the basic tradeoffs between LCD and DLP and DILA? Which of their flaws are you least sensitive to? What is your price range?

In case your answer to most of those questions is "I don't know", here's some basic pros/cons of the different projector types.

LCDs>

Pros: Great saturated colors. Some models are very bright.

Cons: Poor blacks. Low contrast ratios. Screen door - i.e. you can see the pixels from further away from the screen than any other projector. Can have dead pixels.

DLPs>

Pros: Excellent blacks (for a digital projector), and hence very good contrast. Limited screen door effect. No dead pixel issues.

Cons: Rainbow artifact. Some people don't see it, some people can't stand it. Also, with clear section on color wheel, colors often suffer.

DILAs>

Pros: Best picture. Best contrast (if callibrated). Colors are excellent. Least screen door.

Cons: Cost, not only of projector, but also bulb cost - like $800 for a 1000 hour bulb. Can have dead pixels. Out-of-the-box contrast is often much lower, and hence callibration is required.

With all projectors, you have an issue that some have good scalers (well, not really http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) and most have bad scalers... So depending on the input, the picture might have lots of artifacts. I believe that everyone that owns a DILA, for example, has either an HTPC or a scaler.

BTW, I own a DLP, in the interest of full disclosure. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Oh, and an HTPC.

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Fantastic answer and summary, Mike. This is asked often enough that you should have this thread ready for a quick link when it comes up the next time!

There are much longer answers, of course, but you hit the high points perfectly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster:
DILA

Pros: Best picture. Best contrast. Colors are excellent. Least screen door.
mflaster is right. We need a little more info. What's your budget? What material will you be watching? How's your control over ambient light?

The LP350 is a very respectable dlp projector that is plug n' play. But it would be hard to argue against an LT150/Scalar package at about the same price if you can control ambient light.

If you have ambient light issues, then you might want to look at the XP21N. It's a nice projector if you can stand the screen door.

On Dila: Least screen door definitely. Best contrast. Definitely not (at least not on paper). Out of the box the DILAs are only guaranteed at 350:1. I've heard with calibration, 600:1 is achievable, which both the LT150 and XP21N supercede in spec. Although TS apparently challenges the spec validity.

Quick Edit: This is a really good time to wait if you can stomach it. The Sharp 9000 looks exciting on paper. CEDIA is 7 weeks away and maybe there will be some surprises.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Les - good comments. I meant to point out about the need for callibration of a DILA, but I forgot. I just edited it and added it.

I left in 'best contrast' (if callibrated), as I don't know if this forum has agreed that the new LCD's really have better contrast (spec notwithstanding).

To be honest, some of the newer LCD's, at least on paper, address most of the standard LCD problems... And the newer DLPS... OK, nevermind, it's clearly a moving target, I think I tried to hit a spot about 2 months ago... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Oh, and BTW, one thing I think that will be great once ColorFacts comes out (no rush Mark... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) is that we'll start getting some objective measurements/results from a variety of projectors, with identical equipment.

Mike

------------------

[This message has been edited by mflaster (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out
http://adtech-sys.com/content/specials.asp

They have LP350's for close to $3K.

I was on the verge of buying one, but have problems with controlling the ambient light in my room... tried one out today, and it looks pretty washed with a 85" screen.

Hopefully tonight when the sun goes down, all will be good. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've been lurking here for a few weeks now... and would seem everyone recommends the LT150, but I am worried that it won't be bright enough.

Any other suggestions for a budget of around $3K, uncontrollable ambient light, want to watch mainly DVD's, HDTV and big sporting events, dont want screen door and low operational costs!

I am also able to wait if there is something just around the corner!

thanks in advance,

Eric

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input Eric.

Now I am thinking, that if so many people are talking about NEC LT150, there is no harm in having a demo.

I have a question since I got into this whole proj buying thing last week!!!

Is more lumens always better than the low lumen projector?

How important is the contrast ratio?

LT 150 has 800:1 VS LP 350 which is 400:1

I am gonna put this in my basement, where light control is no problem!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Contrast ratio is by far the most important number - just ask the CRT folks... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Absolute lumens is only important if you don't have light control. That said, you shouldn't necessarily believe what the specs say.

800:1 contrast for the LT150?? I find that very hard to believe - not that I've ever seen one...

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmd1997:
Hi Mike,

Chek out http://www.projectors-onsale.com/neclt150.html

says contrast 800:1

Thanks.
Yes, I know that's what the spec says, I just find it quite hard to believe. I would have guessed apriori that the 350 and 150 had very similar contrasts. Once again, I'm not basing this on anything - maybe someone else can chime in here? The 150 is spec'ed with 800:1 contrast?! Help me out!

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
800:1 contrast for the LT150?? I find that very hard to believe - not that I've ever seen one...
You should take a look at one. I've never measured the on/off contrast, but the blacks are very impressive on this little DLP. It wouldn't surprise me if it met spec.

--Les

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mike and cmd1007:

I had the LP350 for almost a month. I saw the LT 150 last night (and have my own on the way). Very respectable contrast on the 350, but the 150 is in another ballpark altogether. What are the exact contrast ratios of the two projectors? Dunno. But the LT150 LOOKS like 800:1, compared to the two 400:1 projectors I have seen in my home (the other was the NEC VT540).

With control of ambient light, by the way, the LT 150 has all the brightness you would ever want on an 8' wide screen. In fact, although I did not compare them side by side, it seemed that the 150 was actually brighter than the 350. The 800 lumens is a conservative rating. Several other forum members have made the same observation.

Mike S.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
OK, well, I stand corrected!

That is, assuming you are going to listen to people who have actually seen the projector... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I guess the main drawbacks to the LT150 then are the lack of zoom and a bulb that only lasts 1,000 hours...

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
Night has fallen, and my loaner LP350 has improved 1000 times. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I would really like to get a LT150 to look at.. as the picture on the LP350 is pretty good in a dark room. Ive noticed some of the drawbacks that others have posted, like a halo around the screen, occasional rainbow, but only when I really flick my eyes around the screen.

Im using it straight out of the box, with factory settings... and although there is a tint of blue in some scenes, overall the picture is *very* viewable.

When is the Infocus HT suppose to be out? Anyone know what the street price will be?

Eric

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll second Arrow's comments.

I've seen both the LP350 and LT150 in my home and spent quite a while watching them both.

I'd say the the LT150 contrast and blacks are significantly better than the LP350. I'd even say that assuming the LP350 is indeed 400:1 contrast, the 800:1 ratio on the LT150 is very believable. It puts out some SOLID blacks. No other DLP, or any LCD, that I've seen comes close. My old CRT was about the same.

My take on the LP350/LT150 comparison:

LP350 pros:

- Brighter

- Cheaper bulbs / longer life

- Better internal scaler

- DVI input (for some folks)

- Zoom means more flexible postioning

LP350 cons:

- Whites can be harsh

- No component input

- HDTV only through VGA (1080i, 720p?)

- Blacks & contrast not as good as LT150

- Light halo -- need to have masking or a 16:9 screen

- May see some rainbow effect

- Costs more than the LT150, but still a good deal

LT150 pros:

- Blacks and contrast are amazing

- Component or VGA input

- Many adjustable settings, much more than LP350

- HDTV support for 480p, 720p and 1080i

- Size, weight

- Customizable menus

- Seems to have a better picture overall

- At $2700 its a steal

LT150 Cons:

- Not quite as bright

- Bulb cost (ouch!)

- Somewhat noisy

- Lack of zoom means positioning very important

- Scaler for Svideo is only fair

- May see some rainbows

- Prefers a higher gain screen

Back in December, when I started looking.... I came very close to getting the LP350. It looked great with 1 exception -- watching hockey. I couldn't get it to look good. Either it was way too bright/harsh to watch, or the players looked like shadows. I still planned to buy one as at $4K, the only thing close to it seemed to be the $5K LT150 (at the time).

But, the LT150 got a couple of great reviews. So I watched the price and researched a bit more before I pulled the trigger on the LP350.

Then the price dropped to $3000 and I jumped. So, now I'm a happy LT150 owner. If it were still $1K more than the LP350, I'd probably go for the Infocus. With the NEC significantly LESS than the LP350, its a no-brainer. I'm very happy with the NEC and my decision. I think it produces a clearly better picture.

But, if I had the LP350 I'd still be happy with it -- 6 months ago it was the best bargain around. Just like 6 months from now something better than the LT150 will probably be out.

-Dave

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Nice job. Mike.

I would also add that the clear section of the color wheel in a DLP results in overly hot "whites".

Robert

Quote:
Can you give a little more info? What is important to you? Do you know the basic tradeoffs between LCD and DLP and DILA? Which of their flaws are you least sensitive to? What is your price range?

In case your answer to most of those questions is "I don't know", here's some basic pros/cons of the different projector types.

LCDs>

Pros: Great saturated colors. Some models are very bright.

Cons: Poor blacks. Low contrast ratios. Screen door - i.e. you can see the pixels from further away from the screen than any other projector. Can have dead pixels.

DLPs>

Pros: Excellent blacks (for a digital projector), and hence very good contrast. Limited screen door effect. No dead pixel issues.

Cons: Rainbow artifact. Some people don't see it, some people can't stand it. Also, with clear section on color wheel, colors often suffer.

DILAs>

Pros: Best picture. Best contrast (if callibrated). Colors are excellent. Least screen door.

Cons: Cost, not only of projector, but also bulb cost - like $800 for a 1000 hour bulb. Can have dead pixels. Out-of-the-box contrast is often much lower, and hence callibration is required.

With all projectors, you have an issue that some have good scalers (well, not really http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) and most have bad scalers... So depending on the input, the picture might have lots of artifacts. I believe that everyone that owns a DILA, for example, has either an HTPC or a scaler.

BTW, I own a DLP, in the interest of full disclosure. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Oh, and an HTPC.

Mike

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This forum is great!

Being a newbie, it's amazing how good & informative this

place can be.

Love technology(internet).

Now the question is (given a $4000 budget) where to buy

from?

Any suggestions about places to buy LT150/LP350 from!!!

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.