AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here have the HomeStar Pro (Sega Toys)?

I just received mine today, I got it off E-bay or Ammzon (cant remember, I buy a lot of stuff online).

It shipped directly from Hong Kong and all the directions are written in Chinese or Japanese?

I just took it into a closet in my office, seems to work okay... using the disks seems self explanatory as does the timer and shooting star button.

I'd just like to know if there's an English manual out there on line?

Mine came with 3 discs... one star map, one star map with constellations outlined, and the moon.

I understand a "Blue Earth" disc is supposed to be released soon... is it out yet?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't have one but am very curious about its performance. Post back with your impressions when you've had a chance to use it under ideal conditions. Are you planning on using it in a theater room? If you can take any pics of it in action that would be awesome too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, here's the deal.... I think I paid something like $245 off e-bay + $20 bucks shipping.

Have you seen on TV that kids toy called the "Eye-Clops", the lens is much better quality, but even so, you still get what I describe are concentric rings on the lens (like the grooves on an old LP record) projected on the wall/ceiling when its extremely out of focus.

So, focus the thing and you get crisp stars and craters on the moon, but the periphery is still somewhat out of focus...

For what it is, its absolutely great.

My problem is that my ceiling is a very dark flat/matte chocolate brown. I'd have thought a black/dark ceiling would display the stars much crisper... NOT SO! I can hardly see ****e in my HT, stars nor the moon project well.

The HomeStar Pro is now up in my 4 year old sons room who has a white ceiling and the stars look phenomenal laying in bed... especially with the shooting star option on and the "move N/S" on so the constellations rotate in the night sky.

Most folks have a dark front wall and ceiling in their basement HT so as not to reflect the oversprayed light to keep the image/video on their screen crips and colors true.

IF you have a dark ceiling you wish to project the HomeStar pro on, save your money, you wont be impressed with it on a dark background (I'm talking like loss of 85% of the stars).

Hope this helps someone save some money.

Mine came directly from Hong Kong from Ebay... I just got it today, if I could box it up and sell it right now, I would. And then probably buy the green laser deal from Spencers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the amount of ambient light released is by my estimate about less than half of what a traditional child's "night light" puts out. So, not much.

I guess what I mean to say, is that my child's night light is way brigher.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Has anyone tried the new unit out on a dark ceiling? I suppose it's an uphill battle since the ceiling is meant to kill light in the first place. I just don't want to exert the effort of fabricating a fiber sheet and then trying to hang that from an existing ceiling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts