AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying hello, and sorry if this (probably is) a commonly asked question here, but I searched through 3 pages, and only found unrelated things.

I bought a system similar model to [SLS Q-Line Gold 650w 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater System] from the same manufacturer 4 years ago. I can't post links but it's on amazon.

For the past 2 years the sub rattles with any song that has moderate bass (all my music does). I don't know anything about audio equipment so I've come to the experts for help.

I jerry-rigged the bottom (where the speaker is) with duck tape across the cone to "hold it down". I notice that if pressure is put to the face of the subwoofer cone, the rattle is lessened with more and more pressure. There seems to be a balance of almost no rattle with less bass, or zero rattle and zero bass.

I'm looking for low cost solutions. Doesn't have to be elegant either. I tried sitting the sub box on top of a folded sheet to try to add pressure but it doesn't do the trick.. Almost seems like a need to put something super shock absorbent but acoustic too..

Sorry if this thread makes you guys face palm.. I have other forum experience and must know how this looks to veterans lol..

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Did you call SLS Audio about getting it repaired? Most companies give you a 5-year warranty on the driver. I won't go into the duct tape repair ;).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Can you describe the rattle.

Have you removed the amplifier and checked to see if anything is loose in the box?

If you gently push the driver in does it sound like something is scraping?

edit: the duct tape isn't doing anything good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sound similar to a poorly soundproofed car trunk. Short sharp rattles that only last as long as there's bass. It doesn't echo, and it sounds like its just at the outer circumference of the cone area (driver?).

No, gently pushing on it stops the rattling.. but I can't find anything to "permanently" press on it so it sounds as normal as possible.

And I didn't want to deal with the manufacturer because I need it low cost and I'd imagine I have to pay shipping and I'd be without a sub for who knows how long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't figure out how to edit..

After turning the sub upside down so the driver was facing the ceiling and messing around with my hands on it with varying pressure I can stop the unpleasant rattle and it has great bass still.

It just feels like the driver is trying to jump out of its skin and is pushing too hard against the wood

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
After turning the sub upside down so the driver was facing the ceiling and messing around with my hands on it with varying pressure I can stop the unpleasant rattle
I can think of three likely scenarios, that there is a separation of the cone from the surround, of the surround from the frame, or of the spider from the coil or frame
There seems to be a balance of almost no rattle with less bass, or zero rattle and zero bass.
If you stop the cone from moving then of course there is less bass. It's the movement of the cone which creates bass. It's like saying that your car vibrates if you drive fast, so to cure the vibration you drive with one foot on the brake.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I've mentioned twice how I need this to be as low cost as possible. I'm not gaga over audio equipment, or need it to be professionally done.. I just want it to work..
He's trying to help you, spending his time giving you information for free.
He's just saying that if YOU can't figure it out, bring it to someone that can.
Not really hard to understand, and definitely not worth giving him lip about...
He KNOWS what he's talking about.
I think he is also correct, in that it sounds like a driver problem, you pushing on the cone is stopping it from doing what it's supposed to do, how is it supposed to create sound without the cone moving?
If the spider is broken free, or the wire is slapping the cone cuz it came loose, you MAY be able to fix it, but ya may end up needing a new driver- which is a pretty easy fix for reasonable $, depending on the driver.

You "just wanting it to work" doesn't matter, troubleshoot the problem with folks that are willing to help you fix it, or buy a new 1.

Pretty simple really.

BTW- He is a speaker designer/builder, so in a sense you are getting FREE professional help.

Good Luck

Reactions: dsrussell
1 - 11 of 11 Posts