AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm fairly new to the world of home audio so I'm looking for a little advice from you knowledgeable folks.  First, a little background. My only experience with home theater systems to date was my Onkyo 5.1 system that included the receiver. It only cost $250, and compared to the speakers on my TV it was a massive upgrade. Unfortunately the receiver started cutting sound in and out and needed replaced. I received a Sony STRDH540 as a gift last week, but the subwoofer that came with the Onkyo is passive and can't be connected to the Sony. I've heard that the speakers that come with these Onkyo systems aren't very good anyway, so I'm looking to replace them. The Sony receiver is a 5.2 and has 145w per channel.

My question is what's a good starting point? I've browsed various review websites (amazon, cnet, crutchfield) and several pages of this forum but am still curious what you guys would recommend. I want to buy decent components that I can have for several years.

-My room is roughly 15'x20' with one wall opening up to the kitchen and dining room.

-I will initially only be able to wire a 3.1 system up until I finish renovations in the living room. Then I will be going to a full 5.1 system (5.2?).

-My budget for the 3.1 system I can piece together now is $400-$600. I wll add the 2 additional surround speakers at a later time if they don't fit in that budget.

-I live in Hilo Hawaii and there is no place here to demo speakers. The only vendors that ship here for a reasonable price are Amazon, Monoprice, and Crutchfield to my knowledge.

I'm hoping this budget isn't too small to get started on a system that will fill a room this size nicely (I will be able to add the surrounds in later). I like the look of floor speakers and am trying to avoid small satellite systems that I've read are insufficient for this space (Energy 5.1 classic for example).

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
Since you are limited due to your location - Crutchfield is a nice option for speakers

For speakers look at the Boston M25 - buy one and get one free
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065M25/Boston-Acoustics-M25.html?showAll=N&search=boston_m25&skipvs=T

This is one of the better budget friendly subs around - and there seems to be Hawaii shipping

NXG BA-500
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-NX-BAS-500-500-watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008FSTU4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393787316&sr=8-1&keywords=nxg+subwoofer

A pair of speakers and a subwoofer, is a good way to begin the adventure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GIEGAR and zieglj01! I'm reviewing the links you both posted from my phone at work right now. I do have one question though. Is the jump in audio quality going from a speaker like the Andrew Jones SP-FS52 to the ones posted here significant? Me being a newb, I read tons of reviews on highly rated systems and that Andrew Jones Pioneer set seemed like the best bang for the buck. I figured I could pick up two of the floor speakers and the center for around $350 and still have a modest budget for a sub while staying in my budget.

I'm taking GIEGAR's post to heart though. Would the Pioneers be a bad starting point?

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb62183  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24430911

Thanks GIEGAR and zieglj01! I'm reviewing the links you both posted from my phone at work right now. I do have one question though. Is the jump in audio quality going from a speaker like the Andrew Jones SP-FS52 to the ones posted here significant? Me being a newb, I read tons of reviews on highly rated systems and that Andrew Jones Pioneer set seemed like the best bang for the buck. I figured I could pick up two of the floor speakers and the center for around $350 and still have a modest budget for a sub while staying in my budget.

I'm taking GIEGAR's post to heart though. Would the Pioneers be a bad starting point?

No, the Pioneers are not a bad starting point.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb62183  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24430911

I figured I could pick up two of the floor speakers and the center for around $350 and still have a modest budget for a sub while staying in my budget.

In order to stay within your budget, you might want to take a look at the BIC F12 subwoofer , it's been a stalwart in the low-cost category for a long time. Free shipping from Amazon too.

If you ever come over to Oahu, there's a Don Quijote store (in Waipahu) that is listed as a NXG (that zieglj01 linked above) dealer. Don't know if they actually carry the subwoofer line, but you could give them a call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice to see another 808 guy on here laulau

This is the first time I have seen the BIC America brand. I checked on amazon and I really like their aesthetic and they're well reviewed. Does their sound quality compare favorably to the other brands recommended here by GIEGAR and zieglj01, and the Andrew Jones Pioneer line?

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb62183  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24431845

Thanks for the feedback guys. Nice to see another 808 guy on here laulau

This is the first time I have seen the BIC America brand. I checked on amazon and I really like their aesthetic and they're well reviewed. Does their sound quality compare favorably to the other brands recommended here by GIEGAR and zieglj01, and the Andrew Jones Pioneer line?

Howzit?!

Honestly, I've never heard the BIC F12 so your guess is as good as mine. For sure there are better subs, the question is how much are you really willing to spend to get one. I'm just going by the fact that: 1) it has been one of the most recommended budget subs for years 2) it's within your budget 3) it's available from Amazon so you'll be able to get free shipping. To my mind, the NXG would be slightly better, but to get it you'll have to pay shipping which will likely take you over budget. Your call.

The BIC should perform just as well with the AJ speakers as any of the other top budget subs.

Here's a few threads here at AVS that you can peruse to help you decide re: the BIC -
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys. I have a lot of options to consider now! Right now I'm trying to decide between Change ARX, BIC America, and Andrew Jones Pioneer for the L/R fronts and center.

I'm really torn on the subwoofer. From what I've read over the past two days, getting a good quality subwoofer is a worthwhile investment. The ones on GIEGAR list look really nice, but the NXG and BIC have a more attractive price. The last thing I want is to buy equipment I'll need to replace too soon though

Decisions decisions

·
Registered
320 Posts
You've got a big area, get as much sub as you can wring out of your budget. The NXG would be a good move, I thing the Dayton SUB1500 might be a hair less. Maybe two Dayton SUB 1200s would be a good idea?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24431948

Howzit?!

Honestly, I've never heard the BIC F12 so your guess is as good as mine. For sure there are better subs, the question is how much are you really willing to spend to get one. I'm just going by the fact that: 1) it has been one of the most recommended budget subs for years 2) it's within your budget 3) it's available from Amazon so you'll be able to get free shipping. To my mind, the NXG would be slightly better, but to get it you'll have to pay shipping which will likely take you over budget. Your call.

The BIC should perform just as well with the AJ speakers as any of the other top budget subs.

Here's a few threads here at AVS that you can peruse to help you decide re: the BIC -
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1116093/bic-america-f12-sub-anyone
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread

I spent 3 years with the BIC F-12 as my primary sub. It was the second sub I had owned, the previous one being a Sony WM-20 (A little 8in, 50 watt sub) which was terrible. The BIC was a huge improvement over the Sony and really did a decent job for me while it was in use. It isn't going to do much in the way of pressurizing a room, but it will give you decent quality at its price point. The biggest thing to know about the F12 is that there is a pretty dramatic roll off around 35hz, and the bass below that point quickly becomes unusable. So don't expect anything subsonic from it. I just replaced my BIC about 3 weeks ago with an SVS PC12+. The SVS destroys the BIC, but it also cost about $1000 more, so no big surprise there. On a budget I think the BIC is a fantastic option.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb62183  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24436604

but the NXG and BIC have a more attractive price. The last thing I want is to buy equipment I'll need to replace too soon though

Decisions decisions

If you are going with a budget-friendly sub - and have some shipping restraints >> then NXG is

a nice option. 96 db at 20 hz is decent at its price point > and 96 db is stronger than one might

think. The measurements >>
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-page-2

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24437389

If you are going with a budget-friendly sub - and have some shipping restraints >> then NXG is

a nice option. 96 db at 20 hz is decent at its price point > and 96 db is stronger than one might

think. The measurements >>
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-page-2

I'm not saying that the NXG is not a great value for it's price. I regularly recommend it. I think it's one of the best you can get for the price.

But that 96db at 20hz is less significant than people might think because the sub rolls off 18db below 30hz before it gets there. So one would have to have some help from room gain AND some EQ to bring that up for usable output. Better to see this as a sub that has good output down to the mid-high 20hz range. That's better than most at this price point.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24437937

I'm not saying that the NXG is not a great value for it's price. I regularly recommend it. I think it's one of the best you can get for the price.

But that 96db at 20hz is less significant than people might think because the sub rolls off 18db below 30hz before it gets there. So one would have to have some help from room gain AND some EQ to bring that up for usable output. Better to see this as a sub that has good output down to the mid-high 20hz range. That's better than most at this price point.

That is really a limited budget and also, is the OP an extreme bass-head > head-banger??

Most content is 30 hz up - and is 40 hz up for music.

You get what you get for the price - it comes down to preference and a little nit-picking.

How many people would recognize 30 hz if they heard it?

How many people know what 105 db or 100 db and for some, what 95 db really sounds like?

Or, how many want them listening levels for extended periods of listening

Another question is - how many people really have permission to blast their sub where they live.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb62183  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24436604

Thanks again guys. I have a lot of options to consider now! Right now I'm trying to decide between Change ARX, BIC America, and Andrew Jones Pioneer for the L/R fronts and center.

I'm really torn on the subwoofer. From what I've read over the past two days, getting a good quality subwoofer is a worthwhile investment. The ones on GIEGAR list look really nice, but the NXG and BIC have a more attractive price. The last thing I want is to buy equipment I'll need to replace too soon though

Decisions decisions

Agreed, a good subwoofer(s) is a must-have for any HT.

Because of your location you need to choose wisely, as shipping to/from HI is no fun. If you've never shipped a subwoofer before, I think you will be stunned to find out how much it costs to ship these heavy, bulky items. Over the years, I've shipped 4 subwoofers (and my speaker system, and cabinet) and in each instance the high shipping costs are tough pill to swallow. Point of fact, I just added the NXG sub to my Amazon cart to determine the shipping costs to Oahu and it came out to $252.82... on a $260 subwoofer ($512.81 total). If you're ok with that, go for it, but according to your original post it's going to blow your stated budget all to hell.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24438018

How many people know what 105 db or 100 db and for some, what 95 db really sounds like?

I wouldn't say it's a matter of extended listening, it's the ability to deal with peaks. 96dB clean means you can play back at say 75-80dB average, which is spirited, but not terribly loud for movie night.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24438018

That is really a limited budget and also, is the OP an extreme bass-head > head-banger??

Most content is 30 hz up - and is 40 hz up for music.

You get what you get for the price - it comes down to preference and a little nit-picking.

How many people would recognize 30 hz if they heard it?

Another question is - how many people really have permission to blast their sub where they live.

I think we are getting off track here. My point is that the 96db at 20hz would be largely inconsequentially for many setups since it's rolled off so far in the frequency response. It would be like telling people my Ascend CBM-170 SEs can play 19hz-- which they probably can , but with high levels of distortion and they would also be -18db down. The fact that the output can reach 96db with that sub does not make it useable.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24438698

The fact that the output can reach 96db with that sub does not make it useable.

That is your opinion.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520548/home-theater-beginner-400-600-budget#post_24438807

That is your opinion.

True. But no one has presented a counter argument that room gain and EQ would not be necessary to make that 20hz output useable

1 - 20 of 36 Posts