AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a combo wall plate that is customizable or will fit my needs of what cables I have coming out of the wall.
Where can I get them customized to where I can pick what connectors I need? Monoprice has combos but none that fit these needs...

Examples:

Wall Plate 1:
1 HDMI
3 CAT5/6
2 Coax
2 Left Front, 2 Right Front, 2 Center, 2 Left Rear, 2 Right Rear Speaker connectors

Wall Plate 2:
1 HDMI
2 CAT5/6
1 Coax

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
You would be better off with a scoop plate that allows cables like HDMI to enter the room and run directly to the equipment without terminating at a faceplate - assuming this is a main in/out for a bunch of equipment.

Arlington has a very nice one with a brush or mesh: http://www.aimedia.co/media/spec-sheets/CED135-specs.pdf

Otherwise, yes, the keystones are the best solution for a mix of RJ45 / coax / speaker connectors.

Jeff

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would be better off with a scoop plate that allows cables like HDMI to enter the room and run directly to the equipment without terminating at a faceplate - assuming this is a main in/out for a bunch of equipment.

Arlington has a very nice one with a brush or mesh: http://www.aimedia.co/media/spec-sheets/CED135-specs.pdf

Otherwise, yes, the keystones are the best solution for a mix of RJ45 / coax / speaker connectors.

Jeff
Well that is what is currently there, but they installed the HDMI cable for instance and its too short on each end to plug directly into the components. And it doesn't move, I guess they stapled it to the studs somewhere in the build. This is how all the wires are, they are there, just not very long, and so my guess is it was meant to be terminated into a faceplate? Either way I think my best option is the clean face plate look anyway.

So is there a good place to get the Keystones? Monoprice as them all and pretty cheap, $29 for what I picked out. But its just white or beige. I found another place that had black, but they were all a lot more expensive. Any other locations for the keystone stuff?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Well that is what is currently there, but they installed the HDMI cable for instance and its too short on each end to plug directly into the components. And it doesn't move, I guess they stapled it to the studs somewhere in the build. This is how all the wires are, they are there, just not very long, and so my guess is it was meant to be terminated into a faceplate? Either way I think my best option is the clean face plate look anyway.
Yeah, if those are existing cables then you're probably going to need a faceplate. The "clean look" is countered by potential problems with poor/loose connections on HDMI cables - no concerns on any of the other cables types... But yes, if the cable isn't going to reach, that's the best answer.

So is there a good place to get the Keystones? Monoprice as them all and pretty cheap, $29 for what I picked out. But its just white or beige. I found another place that had black, but they were all a lot more expensive. Any other locations for the keystone stuff?
Cheap keystone == white or beige
Brand name $$ keystone == any other color

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, if those are existing cables then you're probably going to need a faceplate. The "clean look" is countered by potential problems with poor/loose connections on HDMI cables - no concerns on any of the other cables types... But yes, if the cable isn't going to reach, that's the best answer.

Cheap keystone == white or beige
Brand name $$ keystone == any other color
Ok thanks, then I'll probably just go with the white, it will match the rest of the faceplates in the house anyway. No big deal, I'm not that picky.
Besides Monoprice are there other places that people use to buy this kind of stuff, online, that I may not know about?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have some coax cable in there that I don't plan to use, should I go ahead and terminate it and buy connectors for it and have it part of the plate for any possible future use?

Or just push them back into the wall for another day and time, if they ever are needed? I have the one coax being used by AT&T Uverse, but the other two are not going to be used or needed, so not sure if I want add them into the plate? With the blank spots its easy to add them in later if needed.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I have some coax cable in there that I don't plan to use, should I go ahead and terminate it and buy connectors for it and have it part of the plate for any possible future use?
If you have blank spaces for them, I'd go ahead and terminate them. If you need them in the future, realize that you'd have to disconnect everything, pull the furniture out, then get the cable out of the wall and the tools to do one termination...

I have a lot of extra wire in my house which was left un-terminated. When I open up a location, I terminate everything so I don't have to revisit it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts