AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a home theater setup with a new Sony Flat Panel and Directv in a living room that is about 18x14. The purpose is to boost the sound from the TV and having a receiver so a radio can be present. Here is what I am thinking about. The system is only going to be a 2.1 as the surround feature is not that important.

Receiver:
  • ONKYO TX-NR609 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

2 Front Speakers:
  • Bose® - 201® Series V Direct/Reflecting® Speaker System - Black

-OR-
  • Polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf Speakers

Sub:
  • Polk Audio DSW PRO 440wi

Blu-Ray:
  • Sony BDP-S480

Maybe a little more costly than I need but...

Thoughts???

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Speakers:

You could get a 1000 different opinions but I bet all 1000 would agree to pass on the Bose. Take a look at the Energy RC-10s on sale at Vann's for $299. I think you'll be much happier with these than the Polks. The RC-10s are excellent speakers, but remember to budget for stands (ideally).

Sub:

Take a look at the entry level offerings from HSU and Emotiva in the sub-$400 range. Polk is not highly regarded for subs, and I feel you'll get much better performance with the ones mentioned above.

Speakerwire/cabling--look to Monoprice.com. I can't speak for the quality of the Bluray player, but it's definitely inexpensive. You MIGHT be able to spend a little less on the AVR but I believe the Onkyo is a solid unit. If you're able to find a comparable unit with all the features you need for cheaper, you could put that money towards better speakers and sub, where the bulk of your money should be spent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.