AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm hooking up a home theater system for a guy who just moved into a new house. The house came prewired, but everything in it is old. They're currently using a Niles Intellicontrol system, and it is so messy and screwed up that I just want to scrap it and buy a whole new system just like it, but I have no idea what that sort of system is called. The main functionality I would like in this system is to have one remote control that can be programmed with macros. The system also must be able to respond when all of the components are behind a closed door (with remote sensors. The niles system already has that.) Does anybody know what type of system this is?


Also, I might want to get a better reciever, because they have an old lexicon that I dont like. The speakers are connected to a big speaker amplifier that then links to some other Niles hardware, eventually working its way to the Reciever. What kind of reciever is this that doesnt have its own built in amp? Thank you for your help.


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
You need to let someone who knows what their doing handle this. If this is not one of your buddies (even if it is) your going to waste his money and make his life miserable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,991 Posts
Gotta agree with fortune...Not to be disheartening, but judging from your post, you're somewhat green at this. The audio equipment you describe is some pretty decent stuff. Lexicon makes some awesome pre-pros and amplifiers. The setup you are describing is not uncommon for higher end setups, using separate audio decoders and amplifiers.


As for the intelligent control, you simply need an intelligent remote. Something like a Harmony, MX-800, Pronto, etc. To get the control behind the closet, you install an IR sensor that's accessible to the remote (front wall IE) and then some IR connecting blocks with mini-emitters behind the closet. Xantech and Niles makes both of these and thats likely what's in place now.


Before you start ripping stuff out, I'd do some more research as to what he has now. To me, it sounds like he's got some decent equipment already, and maybe the integration needs to be fine tuned.


If you dump that Lexicon equipment and stick a Bose Theater in the Box in there, you're going to have a mutiny on this board ;)


Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Go ahead and junk that crappy equipment, i'll even be generous and give you a couple of bucks for that Lexicon. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
638 Posts
I call BS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Who is BS and what does she have to do with me buying the used lexicon? ;}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee
Gotta agree with fortune...Not to be disheartening, but judging from your post, you're somewhat green at this. The audio equipment you describe is some pretty decent stuff. Lexicon makes some awesome pre-pros and amplifiers. The setup you are describing is not uncommon for higher end setups, using separate audio decoders and amplifiers.


As for the intelligent control, you simply need an intelligent remote. Something like a Harmony, MX-800, Pronto, etc. To get the control behind the closet, you install an IR sensor that's accessible to the remote (front wall IE) and then some IR connecting blocks with mini-emitters behind the closet. Xantech and Niles makes both of these and thats likely what's in place now.


Before you start ripping stuff out, I'd do some more research as to what he has now. To me, it sounds like he's got some decent equipment already, and maybe the integration needs to be fine tuned.


If you dump that Lexicon equipment and stick a Bose Theater in the Box in there, you're going to have a mutiny on this board ;)


Robert
I did see that IR transmitter, but when I try placing the IR box at the other end over a piece of equipment that did not come with the house, it does not work. Should it work with the remote that came with that device (its a satellite box). Also, it's not that I dont think the Niles equipment is good, it's that it just stopped working. The controlled power strips that are attached to the Niles equipment aren't getting any power, and because of that I cant get any sound. Also, I'd like to reprogram that Niles equipment but I have no idea how to do that because all the online documentation sucks for it.


If i can get that RF transmitter working, that would be very good. I think that I'll keep the lexicon, since it has nothing to do with the problem. The problem I am having is just that the cabinet is extremely messy, and that the programming for the Niles equipment is all wrong according do their new setup. Does anyone know how i can get the RF transmitter working properly for the satellite box, and how I can reprogram the Niles? Thanks a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Hire a Pro.


My suggestion would be to replace the Intelicontrol system with RTI gear.


Last time I checked the Intellifile (programing interface for the niles system) was in excess of $500.


With that said. The intellicontrol is still a pretty cool system as long as the button layout is powerful enough for what you are trying to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
The system in that home has more than enough capability to do what your acquaintance needs to. Here's your problems:


1.) you have no idea what you're doing with this equipment. That doesn't mean that you're not intelligent, or don't know what you're talking about...but the fact that a.) you couln't recognize that the Lexicon was a preamp/power amp combo, and b.) that ANY control system has to be programmed for the equiment connected to it means that you're in over your head.


2.) you're apparently unwilling to listen to advice/input on the situation, everyone here is telling you to hire a pro, I'll do you one better: HIRE THE COMPANY THAT ORIGINALLY INSTALLED THE DAMN EQUIMENT IN THE HOUSE! They will know how to reprogram, etc. for the new equipment.


3.) you haven't mentioned what the CLIENT wants- whether you want to keep this equipment or not is immaterial, it's not your system. Obviously, since the home was purchased WITH the equipment, it was good enough to be a selling feature.


- I'm sorry if this is a little abraisive, my intention is NOT to insult, but rather to succinctly express the gravity of jacking with equipment you don't know how to manipulate. This client will end-up paying 2-3 times as much money to correct what you "fix" because of your inexperience with this product.


Home Theater in general, and custom installation/system automation IN PARTICULAR are very product-dependent....meaning you HAVE TO KNOW THE EQUIPMENT! And believe me, if you're not trained on a product you'll be doing HARM, not good.


Don't let your ego get in the way of customer service, trust me, it's worth more to someone that you admit that you DON'T know, and are willing to get those who DO know involved.


Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis
The system in that home has more than enough capability to do what your acquaintance needs to. Here's your problems:


1.) you have no idea what you're doing with this equipment. That doesn't mean that you're not intelligent, or don't know what you're talking about...but the fact that a.) you couln't recognize that the Lexicon was a preamp/power amp combo, and b.) that ANY control system has to be programmed for the equiment connected to it means that you're in over your head.


2.) you're apparently unwilling to listen to advice/input on the situation, everyone here is telling you to hire a pro, I'll do you one better: HIRE THE COMPANY THAT ORIGINALLY INSTALLED THE DAMN EQUIMENT IN THE HOUSE! They will know how to reprogram, etc. for the new equipment.


3.) you haven't mentioned what the CLIENT wants- whether you want to keep this equipment or not is immaterial, it's not your system. Obviously, since the home was purchased WITH the equipment, it was good enough to be a selling feature.


- I'm sorry if this is a little abraisive, my intention is NOT to insult, but rather to succinctly express the gravity of jacking with equipment you don't know how to manipulate. This client will end-up paying 2-3 times as much money to correct what you "fix" because of your inexperience with this product.


Home Theater in general, and custom installation/system automation IN PARTICULAR are very product-dependent....meaning you HAVE TO KNOW THE EQUIPMENT! And believe me, if you're not trained on a product you'll be doing HARM, not good.


Don't let your ego get in the way of customer service, trust me, it's worth more to someone that you admit that you DON'T know, and are willing to get those who DO know involved.


Dan
I concur!

I just started in this buisness four months ago. i come from a strong computer hardware background.

i still have alot to learn .

this is in no way a job to do if you have no clue how to work this equipment.

makes it extra hard since i am tech support now :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn
I concur!

I just started in this buisness four months ago. i come from a strong computer hardware background.

i still have alot to learn .

this is in no way a job to do if you have no clue how to work this equipment.

makes it extra hard since i am tech support now :D
Can you say Oxymoron. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
this is going to be a fun ride!

I cannot wait to get one of these systems in my house!

there is an s12 in my future :D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top