AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive tried to look through the posts but theres way too much of the right question but off-topic answers or links that arent valid anymore.

Im looking for something that will cover the top of the wall and just touch the screen and then something I can slide/part from the middle to the edges. Whether I have to do it myself or remote is fine(obviously remote would be cooler). Im trying to keep this budgeted to under $1000. Closer to $500 would be optimal. If it makes a difference I have a 92" screen that is about 26" off the floor.

Here is what my front wall looks like http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...onttheater.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hello HyperM3,

Yes, there is a huge amount of info on AVS, it can be over whelming. I've been learning & lurking around here for a year are so. Walmart has some pretty cheap curtains you can buy online, not sure if they sell a valance. I will look for the post a member placed on them & get back.

There are two threads in this very Forum you posted in, that deal with the center opening curtain part of your question.

One link I gave was for a low cost IR controlled motorized curtain track. Now you will only get open, close & stop functions. www.powercurtain.com

AVS member "Brian D" started this thread & is only three pages long, not a huge read.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1023829

Edit:

AVS member "theKrouser" began this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1065458

Hope this helps...

John

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb /forum/post/15540764

contact "jeffthx" here at AVS for the curtains. His Mrs. makes them and she does a great job.

Scott

Thanks for the plug. My wife is still making theater curtains, and she can give a quote to anyone who might be interested. If you would like to see an example of her work in my theater, check out the link in my signature. If anyone would like a quote, send me an e-mail with the following info:

--How wide/tall is the window/screen/wall you'd like to cover with the curtain?

--How will you hang the curtain (fixed rod, or manual/motorized track)?

--Do you want the decorative fringe/trim on the curtain to give it a finished "theater" look?

--If it's in front of a window, do you want the curtain lined with blackout material?

One thing to note: If you are having a curtain open in front of a screen, make sure you have enough space on either side of the screen for the curtain to "compress" when it's open. My curtain is on a wall that is 14' wide, and my screen is just over 8 feet wide. That leaves me around 3 feet or so on either side for the curtain to open. It takes every bit of 20" on each side to fully open the curtain. When the curtain is open, it fits completely behind the proscenium walls that I have built (also seen in my signature link).

She has a couple of jobs lined up, but she's always looking for more opportunities to create curtains/pillows/blankets/etc for theater applications. Note that she doesn't do logos, inlays, or custom embroidery...the best example of her work is what you'll see in my picture link.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
573 Posts
As was already mentioned, smarthome.com will have the motorized accessories you'll need.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the all the replies. That Smarthome website has a lot of fun stuff on it, great link.

I actually found curtains for wicked cheap at Ikea. Perfect red color in packs of 2 for $20!!! Now I gotta figure out how to mount it up there.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 /forum/post/15570297

Thanks for the all the replies. That Smarthome website has a lot of fun stuff on it, great link.

I actually found curtains for wicked cheap at Ikea. Perfect red color in packs of 2 for $20!!! Now I gotta figure out how to mount it up there.

I just did my screen wall in burgundy velvet curtains for less than $200 total, it came out amazing. Not motorized but seems to be what you are looking for. Have a look at my build thread here, I'll link you to the first post where I start talking about this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15479692

In case you rather see the results, this link will bring you right to the post with pictures of the final product:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15504978

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthx /forum/post/15546120

Thanks for the plug. My wife is still making theater curtains, and she can give a quote to anyone who might be interested. If you would like to see an example of her work in my theater, check out the link in my signature. If anyone would like a quote, send me an e-mail with the following info:

--How wide/tall is the window/screen/wall you'd like to cover with the curtain?

--How will you hang the curtain (fixed rod, or manual/motorized track)?

--Do you want the decorative fringe/trim on the curtain to give it a finished "theater" look?

--If it's in front of a window, do you want the curtain lined with blackout material?

One thing to note: If you are having a curtain open in front of a screen, make sure you have enough space on either side of the screen for the curtain to "compress" when it's open. My curtain is on a wall that is 14' wide, and my screen is just over 8 feet wide. That leaves me around 3 feet or so on either side for the curtain to open. It takes every bit of 20" on each side to fully open the curtain. When the curtain is open, it fits completely behind the proscenium walls that I have built (also seen in my signature link).

She has a couple of jobs lined up, but she's always looking for more opportunities to create curtains/pillows/blankets/etc for theater applications. Note that she doesn't do logos, inlays, or custom embroidery...the best example of her work is what you'll see in my picture link.

Thanks,

Jeff

Beautiful well thought out theater!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, finally got around to putting up my curtains(if anyone is still following this thread). Found curtains from Ikea on sale(packs of 2 for $19.99 and I got two). Then got a curtain rod at Target also for $19.99. So I dont care how ghetto it might look, its my first try and it was cheap.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Why not move the screen up a touch so the top looks better and it would be very easy.

I see the curtains need to be where they are because of the length. Just a suggestion.

Scott

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb /forum/post/15855284

Why not move the screen up a touch so the top looks better and it would be very easy.

I see the curtains need to be where they are because of the length. Just a suggestion.

Scott

I actually cut the center section too short, it was my bad. When the lights are off though, you cant see the wall between it and the screen. So its all good.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Tack or staple some black velvet to the wall above and below the screen and you'll be much happier with the look. If you don't want to do velvet for some reason, I'd paint it flat black. Velvet would be better though. It doesn't provide any reflection and looks totally dead.

I have a white wall all around my screen, but have that covered with the black velvet. You can see here what the effect is:

http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html

Scroll down the page for the open curtain view.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 /forum/post/15855244

Ok, finally got around to putting up my curtains(if anyone is still following this thread). Found curtains from Ikea on sale(packs of 2 for $19.99 and I got two). Then got a curtain rod at Target also for $19.99. So I dont care how ghetto it might look, its my first try and it was cheap.

I think you are on the right track, I have 2 suggestions that would really make it awesome.

1-As scottyb said, move the screen up a touch so that the top curtains fall on top of or just behind the screen frame. Or cut new curtains to the correct length, based on your price you got them at it is feasible.

2-Take the excess curtain you cut off and tack it below the screen to the floor. This will totally frame your screen in velvet curtains.

If you haven't already take a look at my HT thread where I did both of these things and my curtains are the same color. IMHO it looks incredible.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, you guys are awesome at advice and quick replies. I tacked up some extra I had on the bottom. Then I played with the fabric up top and was able to stretch it down to the screen so there was less wall showing above. Lemme know what you think.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Wow, that is a major improvement. It looks great!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing I found to be a fantastic side benefit of the curtains is I have much less echo in the room now. Sounds are much more direct and crisp. My bass has tightened up a lot too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts