AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all, this is my first post.  I just wanted to get some opinions before I make anything too permanent in the basement.  I have added a picture below.

In the drawing below, the red boxes are speakers for a 7.2 surround system.  the green rectangle is the motorized projection screen (106" screen - diagonal).  I have run wires for the speakers in the positions show, but left extra in case I move their final position.  Everything is still open framing at this point.

I am running a 1 1/2" conduit to the projector from the A/V equipment so I will be able to run wires after the walls are finished. 

The projector is going to be about 15' from the projector screen. 

The ceiling is 8' but has a duct you can see in the drawing...that drops about 8" or so...so it kinda gets in the way of the rest of the room.

I plan on having a workout space as shown in the drawing where you can run/bike and see the screen.

I'm looking for opinions on what speakers to use next to the duct, and if bringing the speakers inside of the duct is okay, even though there will be extra open space in the room under where the duct is.  It is also open at the bottom of the stair well...do I want to block that off somehow? (theater curtain, sliding door, etc?)

I haven't bought any equipment yet, other than the projector screen.  I'm not sure of my final budget, but I'm looking at the epson 5030 as the projector.

Any opinions are welcome.

Here is the drawing:

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know what kind of speakers you have, but for instance speaker placement is important. I have Atlantic Technolgy speakers setup as 7.1, I have the dipole speakers for the surround and rear and I followed the specs per AT and man, let me tell you, they know what they are talking about.

My surround speakers are set to the side of the listening area (HT seating) about 2 feet down from ceiling.....The rear speakers are set the same height as side but they should be about half the distance apart compared to the side speakers. Funky thing is that with dipole speakers you have to flip them upside down for the sides and then switch the rear so the left speaker is on the right and vice versa. This makes all the difference in the world.

Center speaker should be directly below, if possible the screen and the right front and left should not be tucked in the corner but rather 6-8 feet apart (depending upon screen size) and about listing height and slight rotated in and down so the sound is direct at the listening area.

As far as projector, MAKE sure you use the various types of throw distance calculators out there to ensure you get the right size projector and screen.

As far as what speakers to use next to ducts, as long as the wall is enclosed, you can essentially use whatever you want, however you did the right thing by planning it out.

To get the full effect, I'd at least consider moving the side speakers down a little further (depending upon if you have seating) to about where the throw distance is and then consider moving the rear speakers on the back wall of the workout room. Rear speakers really need to be at the rear of the viewing area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the info...you have some really good points!  I haven't purchased any of the electronics equipment yet...just getting the room ready.  As far as the projector goes...I have looked at several options and run the calculator on them for the 106" projector screen that I currently have.  I should anywhere between 13' to 17' away.  I left extra wire to accommodate either extreme so I can decide later exactly where the projector will sit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You don't provide seating placement. The side surrounds should be on the sides of the listening position and slightly above ear level. They should be dipole with the tweeters facing front and rear of the listening position with the listener in the "null" region. They should provide ambiance and pull you into the action. Rears can be whatever you prefer dipole, bipole, direct. Some prefer direct radiating in the rear for SACD and other multi-channel music.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sorry about the seating...I'm guessing the main seating area will be about where the purple representation is below.  I'm open to opinions on that as well:

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts