AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been building a virtual reference system to work down from, so I can build a moderate entry level home theater. I'm getting schooled in gear selection and speaker/electronics matching, but so far the most difficult information for me to gather is how to design a separates-based home theater. And that's what I've come here to learn from you fine people.

This is a virtual reference system, so there is no limit to the imagination. Building the nastiest, most expensive German Physiks/Mark Levinson/Naim Audio/Lexicon system is what I'm talking about. I'm perplexed about how the physical design works with separates, though.

I'm seeing a lot of distinctions between totally separate separates and integrated separates. For instance, processors and pre-amps come in prepro format. Does that mean I can plug all of my sources into a single preprocessor, which then plugs directly into an integrated amp and from there, into 5 speakers and a powered sub? What about all that switching? Why would anyone want to have to switch their prepro to DVD and their integrated amp to DVD in order to watch a movie? And what if I wanted to listen to a stereo CD on my universal disc player? Wouldn't switching both the processor and the integrated amp to DVD power up all 6 speakers? I only want the mains! What would a smart person do with all this integration and separation?

Would it be smarter to have an entirely segregated system where each source gets its own preamp, then plugs into some kind of processor with only swiching capability, then to monoblock power amps? Am I confusing myself? Should the sources plug into a processor, then to a preamp, then to power amps?

Some preamps have two ports for RCA's, which means to me they are mono. You would expect a stereo preamp to have 4 RCA's, right? See my confusion? Someone please help before my brain explodes. Lucidity is what I crave!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. It's informative, however I'm looking for a more practical application. There is conceptual info gallore. But I'm looking for something like a diagram. A connects to B. B connects to C--that kind of stuff. Know where I could find something like that?

·
Registered
143 Posts
OK Take a deep breath its all going to be OK.

Good call going with separates but don't let them confuse you. Its Pretty simple. Take an AV receiver for instance it has all those parts all in one Box. Preamp/processor don't let the name confuse you they are pretty much the same thing and an AMPLIFIER. With all the connections on the back.

Think of it as water flowing From your Sources ( DVD/CD/SAT/TIVO) to your Preamp/Processor( the processor will have all of the inputs that you need to hook up an analog source or the L/R inputs and Digital connection( coax/toslink) then to the AMP( there are out puts from the preamp to the amp then to your speakers. Easy Peasy

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf
Thanks for the link. It's informative, however I'm looking for a more practical application. There is conceptual info gallore. But I'm looking for something like a diagram. A connects to B. B connects to C--that kind of stuff. Know where I could find something like that?
http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/sp17_manual.pdf

check out printed page 35 (PDF pg 37) gives an example of how the pre pro is hooked up to power amps and to speakers.

Not to confuse matters but if you are going seperates, you will probably want a high quality video scaler to mate with your projector. That video scaler will do the video switching for you and not the pre pro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.