AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post ever in this forum even though I have been going through the details for quite some time. It has always amazed me to know how knowledgeable you guys are on this forum.

I am a newbie looking to build a home theater system from scratch. I have already purchased Denon receiver - 2112 and planning to buy HSU VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer. Currently I am looking for speakers and I plan to purchase front 3 speakers to start with, rest of the system I will build later when the budget permits.

My room size is 25' X 18' and it's 10' high. This area includes family room and the kitchen and the speakers will be placed in a bookshelf in the family room. For the 3 speakers my budget is around $500 - $600 and my primary requirement is 90% TV and 10% music.

I cannot go with a floorstanding speaker so I will have to work with bookshelf speakers. After reading this forum I have shortlisted the following combo and now I need your expert opinion to finalize the speakers. If you would like to suggest some other combinations, please advise.

1. Energy RC 10 - L & R

Energy RC-LCR - center

2. KEF IQ30 - L & R

KEF IQ60C - center

3. Klipsch RB51 II - L & R

Klipsch RC52 II - center

4. HSU HB1-MK2 - L & R

HSU HC1-MK2 - center

I am not very familiar with the speaker jargon but I think I will prefer more neutral sound and I guess my husband will also like the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I looked at the thread and the reviews look good for HB1-mk2. Since these speakers are rear ported, I may have a problem since the maximum distance from the wall will be 8 inches. These speakers will be placed on a shelf which is part of entertainment system.

I don't know if this restricts me to go for front ported speakers only.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
8" would be enough for the Hsu speakers, I have less space than that, and they sound fine to me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those speakers, they all have a very good reputation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks shadyJ for the input. In the HSU thread mentioned above one of the comments is "I would recommend the HB1s with a 50/50 music/ht mix" . I am going to use the system mainly for watching TV , music will be only 10%, will the HSu speakers still be good for me ?

Also I read on this forum that the KEF IQ30 are very good for dialogue clarity which is a plus point for me. On the energy forum, RC-10 has got good reviews and currently it's available for a decent price, so I am not able to decide which speaker to select. I would really appreciate any input.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushu /forum/post/20899962

Thanks shadyJ for the input. In the HSU thread mentioned above one of the comments is "I would recommend the HB1s with a 50/50 music/ht mix" . I am going to use the system mainly for watching TV , music will be only 10%, will the HSu speakers still be good for me ?

Also I read on this forum that the KEF IQ30 are very good for dialogue clarity which is a plus point for me. On the energy forum, RC-10 has got good reviews and currently it's available for a decent price, so I am not able to decide which speaker to select. I would really appreciate any input.

I dont think you can go wrong with either choice. I am still kind of new at all of these different brands of speakers so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have been spending a lot of time on the speaker forum lately and doing a ton of reading. There are a few people on here that have experience with Energy and HSU so maybe they will chime in. For HSU I have mostly been reading about theirs subs and am 99% sure when I pull the trigger I will get the HSU sub, but I also own the Energy CF line of speakers and the RC line is suppose to be twice as good.

In one post that I have read the HSU "may be" a little better than the RC-10s, but that was one persons opinion. Even if you spend a small amount of time on here you come to realize that your listening preference and speaker choice will vary and it comes down to you actually hearing the speakers to see whats right for you.

Having said that and getting to know other posters listening preference I would not hesitate to order a pair of either and I`m sure I would be happy with my choice. do a bit more reading and pay attention to who is posting what and you can find who you can relate to.

One more thing that may not be of interest to you, but is to me is design. To me the RC-10s look freaking awesome with the grills off and the kevlar whereas the HSUs are less appealing. The HSUs may sound a little bit better, but price and aesthetics would push me to the Energys.

Do your research, good luck and happy hunting!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Any of these speakers will do well for either music or TV. What I think should be a more determining factor is the room and listening position. If your listening position is not going to be too far from the speakers, I think the speakers with the dome tweeters, the KEF and Energy speakers, will do fine, but if your listening position is going to be a bit further back, I would spring for the Hsu or Klipsch. I would also go for the Hsu and Klipsch if you want the speakers to sound powerful throughout the whole room, as I think their tweeters will have an easier time projecting energy than dome tweeters. Their tweeters should also be less influenced by nearby reflection, which may benefit you as you said in the original post you intend to place the speakers in a bookshelf.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I currently have RC-10 mains and an RC-LCR center in a 20something x 15 foot room so I can help as far as commenting on that setup...

The Energy RC-10/RC-LCR setup is easily powered and very laid back and rich for bookshelf speakers especially. I switched my mains from Energy CF-30 towers with two 5.5" woofers to the RC-10 bookshelf speaker and can easily say I love the RC-10s so much more. Even in stereo the RC-10s can do quite a good job.

On a side note, if you feel your speakers are too close to the walls, and they're rear ported, use port plugs, or even a sock, to plug or partially plug the port. It will "dampen" your bass but rid yourself of that echoey sound. It doesn't sound bad, just a tad different than open ports. Definitely sounds better than open ports in an enclosed space.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I own RC-10s and RC LCR and have heard the KEF iQ30's and iQ60. Completely different sound. The KEFs have less bass than the Energy but do have very clear dialogue. the KEF sound wasn't for me as it seemed like they'd be great for techno, high energy, electronic and house music which I hate. I don't know if I could listen to music for extended periods of time on the KEFs. With the RC-10s its not a problem.

The Klipsch wouldn't work for me either as I don't care for their harsh sounding horn tweeter.

But if you put a good subwoofer with them they could be great for you. Just depends on your listening preferences.

Don't know anything about the HSU except what I've read in these forums. Sounds like its a winner though.

Of the three I've heard the ranking would be

1. RC-10

2. KEF iQ30

3. Klipsch RB-51

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off a big THANK YOU for sharing your ideas/experience. Based upon the suggestions from you guys I have narrowed down my choices to KEF IQ30 , Energy RC-10 & HSU Hb1-MK2.

Saints - I am with you on the aesthetics which is a +1 for the energy as well as KEF speakers. Also I have been trying to read as much as I can on this forum and that's how I selected these speakers. I am slowly getting addicted to this forum but I have miles to go in terms of learning. I have also decided to go for HSU VTF2-MK3 for sub.

ShadyJ - My listening area will be 14' and the speakers will be placed in a bookshelf which has 14" depth and has a back panel. In this case what would you advise considering most of my requirement (90%) is watching TV.

Macstatic - I have been reading your posts in energy speakers thread. My room size is 25' x 18' which is almost similar to yours. Do you think there can be echo problem with the 14" bookshelf depth. Bookshelf has a back panel and is placed 3 inches away from the wall.

Afrogt - As you have mentioned "The KEFs have less bass than the Energy but do have very clear dialogue", will adding HSU VTF2-MK3 as subwoofer be adequate to compensate for bass. I like the look of KEFs as well as Energy (from the pictures ofcourse !).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have liked the Kef iQ30 when I have listened to it in the store, to my ear it has a full clear sound.

I tried out a pair of Klipsch RB51 speakers in my home and liked them but they don't have much bass ability.

At the time I was trying to go without a subwoofer so the RB51's were returned.

I find the Klipsch Reference Series to be clear and detailed, and in some cases this clarity and detail will reveal flaws with the source material that other speakers will blur or not reproduce at all.

Some people will describe the Klipsch as harsh and I will not argue with them because it really is each individual's preference.

I think there are plenty of harsh sounding speakers out there that also lack clarity and definition but I try not to be overly critical of anyone's preferences.

My order would be:

Kef iQ30

Klipsch RB51

Have not heard the others so I would not consider them.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushu /forum/post/20901085

Macstatic - I have been reading your posts in energy speakers thread. My room size is 25' x 18' which is almost similar to yours. Do you think there can be echo problem with the 14" bookshelf depth. Bookshelf has a back panel and is placed 3 inches away from the wall.

If you don't plug the ports, yes there may be a little bit of an echo. But that will be the case for any bookshelf speaker you have that is rear ported and in a cubby or nook. But don't let that limit your choices to front-ported. Plugging the ports as I mentioned before is not harmful to the speaker and doesn't harm the sound, just changes it a tad. The RC-10s come with foam port plugs (as does the RC-LCR). Since I have a wall unit, and all my speakers are in a cubby, they all have their ports plugged and the sound is still FANTASTIC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your inputs.

After reading all the suggestions I am leaning more towards the HSUs and Energy RC-10 comes next. I am happy my choices are reduced to 50%.

I would appreciate any additional input that will help me take the final decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.