AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very inexperienced when it comes to electronics, and I'm looking to set up my living room in my new home. I just got a 46" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD television which will be mounted/installed on Tuesday. I have an XBOX 360 which will wirelessly sync to all of the media on my PC (which will be in my basement) via a wireless router. I want to make the xbox/flatscreen my home base for listening to music, watching movies, etc.

I did a little research on the HTIB packages and I'm confused as to whether I need to pay for the reciever/ reciever&dvd or if I can just go and buy separate speakers and have them connected to the new tv.

I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S780 but it seemed a bit bulky and I'm not sure if I need the reciever at all. So I was also looking at Bose and they have the Acoustimass speaker systems or a pretty sleek setup called the CineMate which only had 2 speakers and a woofer.

I am hoping someone can tell me the best way to get great sound out of the dvd's, video games, and music that will come from the xbox 360 through the new sony bravia??

·
Registered
908 Posts
Without the discussion of "seperates" a receiver is the best way to go for quality sound.

Generally HTIB systems do not provide quality sound though there are a few that are regarded as quality sound for the money. Def Tec and SVS come immediately to mind. Paradigm also has some decent surround systems in their Cinema line.

If you want a sound that has the same quality as the picture on your tv you need to buy a receiver and speakers.

Audition the Bose if you want but, in most opinions as you will soon learn hehehe, generally they are not considered as providing quality sound and cost a bundle. But that does not mean you won't like them. This is just opinion but based on lots of time listening to speakers, etc.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are planning on doing a lot of listening to music and movies, i would definately consider getting seperate components and speakers. You just spent a lot of money for a nice TV, you owe it to yourself to get some nice audio too. Generally the HTiB systems are fairly lacking in the speaker area, although some have nice receivers included. For the 360 be sure to get Digital optical inputs on your receiver to get true Dolby digital, you'll also need the HD adapter for the 360.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.