AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost complete with the framing of my dedicated home theater in my basement and have the following HVAC related questions:

- What are different ways to stop/minimize the sound produced in the home theater from going throughout the whole house via HVAC duct work?

- What are good ways to minimize blowing air noise when the HVAC turns on inside the theater room?

- There are some existing ductwork that pass over the home theater room. What is the best way to minimze the sound transfer to the ducts? I plan to have a acoustic drop ceiling.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you'd like, feel free to send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you three articles on this exact topic

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ted should be able to help you out with acoustics. I had an HVAC guy come and told me that I needed a separate unit for the theater. It was news I did not want to hear but it sure solved the sound traveling via the ductwork problem.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does your HT take up the entire basement? If not, then consider building an intake fan/output fan in the HT and simply circulating room air from the adjacent room. This method will allow you to have no direct supply/return lines going to the HT from the HVAC, effectively "decoupling" the HVAC from your HT- it's what I'm doing with mine.

John

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's what I did also, John. With two Dead Vents. The first two Dead Vents.

Rabident, can that wall be decoupled?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ted helped me design 2 dead vents in one split cavity for my room, and they work quite well in terms of cooling and sound deadening. I also put a minisplit AC in to supplement for cooling, but haven't needed it. I think it will come in handy when there are more than 2 of us in the theater though. My basement stays under 75 degrees even when it's 90 outside, averages 70. With regards to soundproofing, it is an excellent solution. I can hear people talking in the basement from 2 stories up in my bedroom, but not in the adjacent theater room!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.