AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I did search around and could only find a couple of things that touched on the subject. (links are appreciated, too
)

For the last five years or so, I have purchased the Home Theaters in a Box type of systems. I just bought my first house, and am getting the A/V itch! I currently have a Panasonic home theater in a box setup in my apartment, but am thinking it might not suffice for a true, quality (to some degree) audio environment.

I am also buying a 50" LCD TV to start things off, so I must do the audio portion right.

Are these home theater systems for $299/$399/$499/$599 sufficient for quality audio that I am striving for? If so, great! I know nothing else so I come to you all for assistance. Or, are these speakers truly junk, the receiver/dvd combo things crap, and I should spring for separates (individual DVD player, receiver, and speakers)??

I am all ears, and appreciate any guidance you can provide!

Budget would be right around the price of a nice HTIB setup. Maybe max at $600-ish?? Is that possible??

Thank you,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 /forum/post/16922907

Are these home theater systems for $299/$399/$499/$599 sufficient for quality audio that I am striving for?

Probably not if you really want something good, however, they do serve a purpose.

The most interesting part of your post is that you imply that you've bought more than one HTiB in the last 5 years. I don't know if that's what you meant but I can see how it's possible. What I'm getting at is most HTiBs are disposable - they're not upgradable and you essentially throw it away and replace it with another. It's not the way to go about things if you want something good and will last a long time.

I would really suggest gathering things little by little. You can start out with a receiver and a pair of good speakers for $600 and, honestly, 2.0 or 2.1 ain't that bad with good speakers. A few hundred each time over the next several months for a center, subwoofer, surrounds isn't going to seem like a big hit. You don't need to spend a ton, and you can probably get away with something good for around $1000, but $600 in one shot is going to really limit your choices.

It's just a suggestion but I don't know if you're up for something like that. Most people just want to get everything at the same time...is that you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts